Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grammas can be kept as groups, but would need to all be small and added simultaneously. You could do 1, 3, or 6 or more.

Christmas wrasses, Halichoeres ornatissimus, can be aggressive to other wrasses. Skip him.

Add the melanurus after all the other wrasses.

For anthias, go with dispar or carberryi. They do better in groups in captivity than lyretails.

Any dwarf angels can be jerks. If you have multiple in your tank they tend to focus on each other rather than other types of fish.

Bicolor and lemonpeel angelfish are very likely to eat coral.

Don't get both the powder blue and powder brown tangs. They are both quite aggressive, and due to being similar looking, will not tolerate each other.

The leopard, Halichoeres, and pygmy wrasses will outcompete the mandarin for pods.

Royal grammas can be kept more than 1 to a tank.

In a 5'x2'x2' tank both the bicolor and sailfin blenny can coexist. Just be sure the bicolor is in first.

Halichoeres wrasses are beneficial in reefs as they pick at coral pests and do not at the corals themselves.

Male wrasses of the same species will fight, but they usually tolerate males of other species.
You learn something new every day :]

Annelise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I have a 29 standard with two fish in it right now. I’m looking to add more in the next few months. Here’s what I have now: 6 line wrasse and DWARF Pygmy angelfish. The fish I would like to have is: a pair of clowns, tail spot Blenny and bangai cardinal. Are there any other cool fish you guys would recommend?? I don’t have to have every fish on the list, it’s just what I might like. Very open to suggestions :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I have a 29 standard with two fish in it right now. I’m looking to add more in the next few months. Here’s what I have now: 6 line wrasse and DWARF Pygmy angelfish. The fish I would like to have is: a pair of clowns, tail spot Blenny and bangai cardinal. Are there any other cool fish you guys would recommend?? I don’t have to have every fish on the list, it’s just what I might like. Very open to suggestions :)
I would recommend a single clown rather than a pr in that size tank. When they mature and are ready to spawn they can take up most of that tank.

The bangaii and tailspot should be fine.

Cug_21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 gallon biocube and I’m looking to stock it up with 2 frostbite clowns and lots of coral. I’m looking for other suggestions that are coral friendly and are cool fish, open to all suggestions

ericwithac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50G with a 20G sump. I know im over filtrated so I can overstock a little bit. I have 6 chromis in there right now to cycle (I know some people don't like fish in cycling, but it's what I know) and am trying to come up with stocking ideas. I know a 50G is a bit small in the salt world, but I am looking for some really neat fish ideas.

Thanks!
E

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 gallon biocube and I’m looking to stock it up with 2 frostbite clowns and lots of coral. I’m looking for other suggestions that are coral friendly and are cool fish, open to all suggestions
Tailspot blenny, trio of red lined cardinals, pair of wheelers gobies with a candy cane pistol shrimp, purple firefish, trio of scissortail or zebra added dartfish are a few that come to mind

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50G with a 20G sump. I know im over filtrated so I can overstock a little bit. I have 6 chromis in there right now to cycle (I know some people don't like fish in cycling, but it's what I know) and am trying to come up with stocking ideas. I know a 50G is a bit small in the salt world, but I am looking for some really neat fish ideas.

Thanks!
E
Are you keeping the 6 chromis?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal gramma, swales basslet, firefish, watchman goby.

Thanks!
E
Flame or longnose hawk, midas blenny, group of zebra or scissortail dartfish, tiger jawfish.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure to be honest! Lets say no.

Ok. I’m assuming you will take them back to your LFS and trade them in?

Couple questions to get a list going.

Will you have corals? SPS, LPS, softies or zoas?

Are you wanting peace and quiet and everyone gets along, or do want a little bit of attitude?

cristiand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Have a 25g lagoon tank with Eshopps nano refugium sum and s120 skimmer. Currently I have 2 phantom clowns, a bicolor blenny and a clown goby. Wanted to add 1 maybe two more fish. Any ideas? Was thinking maybe a small wrasse (six line or pink stripped wrasse) or mandarin?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Have a 25g lagoon tank with Eshopps nano refugium sum and s120 skimmer. Currently I have 2 phantom clowns, a bicolor blenny and a clown goby. Wanted to add 1 maybe two more fish. Any ideas? Was thinking maybe a small wrasse (six line or pink stripped wrasse) or mandarin?
Choose the pink streak over the sixline, as sixlines can be aggressive.

A mandarin will likely have a difficult time surviving in a system that small.

cristiand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That’s what I was kinda leaning towards. I looked at some places on line and no one seems to have them stocked unfortunately. I’ll keep looking I guess [emoji53]

ericwithac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I’m assuming you will take them back to your LFS and trade them in?

Couple questions to get a list going.

Will you have corals? SPS, LPS, softies or zoas?

Are you wanting peace and quiet and everyone gets along, or do want a little bit of attitude?
Yes I will bring them to LFS. I do want corals, but know almost nothing about the different kinds. Peaceful is nice but I wouldn't mind some attitude haha!

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have upgraded to 65 gal w/ 20 gal sump/fuge. Since upgrading I can’t maintain any nitrates for my SPS so I’d like to add some fish that hang in the water column. Suggestions appreciated! Was thinking a trio of chromis or lemon damsels but after reading some those are out. I don’t want to add a screen top so jumpers are out as well.

Currently have a small Kole tang, adult female Onyx clown, Midas blenny, and a flame hawk.

Harem of tank raised orchids?

Last edited:

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have upgraded to 65 gal w/ 20 gal sump/fuge. Since upgrading I can’t maintain any nitrates for my SPS so I’d like to add some fish that hang in the water column. Suggestions appreciated! Was thinking a trio of chromis or lemon damsels but after reading some those are out. I don’t want to add a screen top so jumpers are out as well.

Currently have a small Kole tang, adult female Onyx clown, Midas blenny, and a flame hawk.

You could go with a group of pajama cardinals, a yellowtail damsel, a flame angel or coral beauty

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A group of the more peaceful Chrysiptera damsels, such as azures, rolands, talbots, and springeri; agroup of randalls or dispar anthias, royal gramma, group of chalk bass.

A harem of orchid dottybacks won't work longterm in that size tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back