Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Ultrawalrus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like to add one more fish into my 29g standard mixed reef. Currently have the following:

-Pair of false perc clowns
-Yellow watchman goby
-Flame angel
-small emerald crab
-3 peppermint shrimp
-3 large turbo snails
- Multiple small hermits

Would like possibly a Royal Gramma or maybe something I haven't thought about yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure school would be the correct word. They form a loose group of females around the most dominant member that will become the male. Similar to a harem of African cichlids.

And from what I'm reading on them, it looks like the females are ranked in order of dominance as well and they will kill each other off in order to move up in the rank. Most people that attempt a school usually end up with one or two left. :(

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like to add one more fish into my 29g standard mixed reef. Currently have the following:

-Yellow watchman goby
-Flame angel
-small emerald crab
-3 peppermint shrimp
-3 large turbo snails
- Multiple small hermits

Would like possibly a Royal Gramma or maybe something I haven't thought about yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Royal gramma would be fine. You could do a bicolor blenny, zebra barred dartfish, or a pink-streaked wrasse

TXRon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently added a 4.5 inch blue throat trigger to my display. He didn't bother the three cleaner shrimps I have but he quickly took out all three of my dart fish. At this point i'm considering switching gears on selection of some tank mates to find a few larger fish that won't be intimidated by him. I currently have a melanarus wrasse, three blue chromis, a yellow tang, the shrimps, assorted CUC and the trigger. I'm open to suggestions. The tank is a 60 inch 115 gal. mixed reef.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently added a 4.5 inch blue throat trigger to my display. He didn't bother the three cleaner shrimps I have but he quickly took out all three of my dart fish. At this point i'm considering switching gears on selection of some tank mates to find a few larger fish that won't be intimidated by him. I currently have a melanarus wrasse, three blue chromis, a yellow tang, the shrimps, assorted CUC and the trigger. I'm open to suggestions. The tank is a 60 inch 115 gal.
Marine betta, soldierfish, a foxface, or another tang would do well. If you're not worried about the shrimps being eaten a snowflake eel would be a good addition.

TXRon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine betta, soldierfish, a foxface, or another tang would do well. If you're not worried about the shrimps being eaten a snowflake eel would be a good addition.
Definitely considering a foxface. What do you think about a medium sized Harlequin Tusk?

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely considering a foxface. What do you think about a medium sized Harlequin Tusk?
Harlequin Tusk might eat your chromis, but will get along fine with your bigger fish

TXRon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin Tusk might eat your chromis, but will get along fine with your bigger fish
When i got the chromis I patiently waited until the LFS had some larger ones so maybe they will have a shot. I'll have to evaluate the size of the HT.

davilahope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed reef with a sand bed and only a 6 line wrasse in it.. what can I add?

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed reef with a sand bed and only a 6 line wrasse in it.. what can I add?
My 6 line is still a juvenile, and I've heard they get more aggressive as they get older. But mine coexists nicely with a couple of clowns, a red firefish, Randall's goby, and a Royal Gramma. The Gramma is the only one he's had any conflict with, and that was the Gramma picking on the wrasse and it only lasted a day or two.

The wrasse was the last fish I've added. I've heard they can be mean to fish added after them, but I don't know yet. I'd say any clown at least as big as the wrasse could hold it's own. I'd avoid slow, docile fish.

kimberly :)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g tank and im thinking about stocking it with:

2 clownfish
hectors goby
(possibly another goby)
1-2 firefish maybe
some soft coral

please let me know ;o;

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g long tank and im thinking about stocking it with:

2 clownfish
hectors goby
(possibly another goby)
1-2 firefish maybe
some soft coral

please let me know ;o;

Firefish don’t do well in pairs unless they are a bonded pair so only 1 is recommended.

A yellow or wheelers goby with a pistol shrimp would do well with this group of fish and would give you a bottom dwelling fish

graffitireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Yellow watchman goby
-Flame angel
-small emerald crab
-3 peppermint shrimp
-3 large turbo snails
- Multiple small hermits

Id say you could get away with a Gramma or a 6 line wrasse. Just watch your parems. I probably wouldnt add any more than 1 though.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i added a flame angel yesterday and things went well for about an hour.. then he got comfy and started behaving quite aggressively especially towards my lyretail anthias and midas blenny, but really any fish that got in his way.. seems he doesn't discriminate

any chance this improves with time? i want to at least give it a shot, but i'm thinking i definitely got me an overly aggressive flame :(

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank and are there any other fish besides those you listed?

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id say you could get away with a Gramma or a 6 line wrasse. Just watch your parems. I probably wouldnt add any more than 1 though.

With a flame angel and 2 clowns already in a 29 gallon, it’s doubtful you would see much of a royal gramma as they are relatively passive. A 6 line will become aggressive and given the space constraints it’s doubtful it will end well.

The tank size is really not suitable for a dwarf angel either.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back