Need help figuring out what is going on.

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I haven't posted a build thread yet, but I do have a few questions.

The tank is a marineland 220G 72X24X30 with a trigger 39 sump.
~200 gallons of actual water. It has been set up for 13 months now. 2.5 gallon daily water change (reef crystals salt, mixed to 33pt).
Dosing is done with Seachem Fusion 1 & 2 and Seachem Trace (minimal dose as advised on the bottles because of water changes).

There is a biopelet reactor active on the tank as well.

Here is the ATI ICP test (the RODI test is completely at 0s): https://lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/24c006628e2aeab231a2

I understand that PO4 is too high and I will work on that.

Are the other elements too out of scope?

The issues im having: duncan frag was doing great, growing new heads then immediately died over a span of a couple of days.

A green goniopora went from green to purple to now slowly bleaching (sizable coral, not a frag).
Pulsing xenia, not pulsing (although that could be too much flow).
large tongue coral slowly died over a span of few months.

Green Frogspawn is doing great, was bought as a fresh frag and has healed nicely and is actually growing.
GSP is growing, although with the PO4 that can explain why its growing slower than usual.
Zoanthids are growing as well.
Torch is doing well.

The only thing that I cant seem to keep stable is temp. The BRS controller is, well, crap. it swings 1.6F from 77 to 78.6 about 4-5 times per 24 hours.

Please help.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank You!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening

Sorry about the coral loss. Nothing grabbed me as a obvious troublemaker. Sounds like you ran thru everything, . What would have been the last change you made in the tank, lighting schedule, dosing amount , cleaning, anything?

I was also wondering about the temp fluctuations. Almost 2 degrees in a 220 a few times a day seems like a lot, but if it does swing that much it could be the issue. I would recommend a Ranco or Inkbird controller.

And of course #WelcimetoR2R

Bon Koo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

~200 gallons of actual water. It has been set up for 13 months now. 2.5 gallon daily water change (reef crystals salt, mixed to 33pt).
Dosing is done with Seachem Fusion 1 & 2 and Seachem Trace (minimal dose as advised on the bottles because of water changes).

Here is the ATI ICP test (the RODI test is completely at 0s): https://lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/24c006628e2aeab231a2

The issues im having: duncan frag was doing great, growing new heads then immediately died over a span of a couple of days.

A green goniopora went from green to purple to now slowly bleaching (sizable coral, not a frag).

Green Frogspawn is doing great, was bought as a fresh frag and has healed nicely and is actually growing.
GSP is growing, although with the PO4 that can explain why its growing slower than usual.
Torch is doing well.

The only thing that I cant seem to keep stable is temp. The BRS controller is, well, crap. it swings 1.6F from 77 to 78.6 about 4-5 times per 24 hours.

Please help.

Thank You!

Torch is doing well.

Please help.

Thank You!
What is nitrate level? I had raised Duncan with 0 ppm or very low phosphate but with high nitrate 40ppm. But it grew well. Now I have huge colony. Duncan is very strong lps. Perhaps it got infected with virus. Next time i suggest you to dip with reef primer. It is very expensive but it is the best. Coral rx others dip solution doesn't work well.

OP
OP
A

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening

Sorry about the coral loss. Nothing grabbed me as a obvious troublemaker. Sounds like you ran thru everything, . What would have been the last change you made in the tank, lighting schedule, dosing amount , cleaning, anything?

I was also wondering about the temp fluctuations. Almost 2 degrees in a 220 a few times a day seems like a lot, but if it does swing that much it could be the issue. I would recommend a Ranco or Inkbird controller.

And of course #WelcimetoR2R
Hi, thanks for taking a look. The only change was indeed the heater, but all this transpired before the heater was changed. The previous heaters kept the temp within 0.2F but they kept wearing out the relays after 2-3 months. So I went with BRS cause I thought it would be better, well its not wearing out, but its got its own definition of "stability".

Interestingly, now that I am fixing the PO4 (using GFO for the moment, RowaPhos in the mail) the skimmer is filling up every 6-8 hours, before it took 2-3 days.

Everything else has been the same for the life of the tank. Really at a loss here.

Thanks for taking a look!

OP
OP
A

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is nitrate level? I had raised Duncan with 0 ppm or very low phosphate but with high nitrate 40ppm. But it grew well. Now I have huge colony. Duncan is very strong lps. Perhaps it got infected with virus. Next time i suggest you to dip with reef primer. It is very expensive but it is the best. Coral rx others dip solution doesn't work well.
Nitrate is at 8, usually floats between 5-8 ppm. Phosphate was stupid high at 1.2ppm (thanks to LFS for testing and saying it was at 0.04, heavy sigh...) Im fixing that at the moment. Ordered a Hanna checked for PO4 to keep a better eye on it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back