Need help on a sump

Brycnz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 1100L tank and had a sump that I made but it want Handel the back flow if I had a power cut so I want some idea on a new sump build and how many cambers would be good if I can have the R2R help on this only have one shot getting low on funds
This is sort of what I am thinking ???

image.jpg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No bubble trap baffles? What is the b section for?

OP
OP
B

Brycnz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes bubble trap baffles will be put in just didn’t draw it B will be for any reactors or any such thing??? I’m new to the hole reef tank so want to make sure I’m on the right parth maybe some photos of other people sumps looked on line but couldn’t fined to much and well I want to talk to people who have sumps and what works for them

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is a mess but you get the idea. Left is return section, middle is refugium, right is skimmer/equiptment section
20200411_231740.jpg

OP
OP
B

Brycnz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that’s sort of what I was thinking this is my current one I’m in lock down so can’t get one built till after so slapped this one together to try the tank and plumbing out but if we have a power cut or return pump falls will have 100+L on the floor that’s why I need a new sump haha

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The right section is smallest. It just barely fits my skimmer and drains from main tank. U might want to fit a filter sock holder in there too. Middle (refugium) and left (return pump section) are about the same size. I really like having a large refugium (wish it was bigger)

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 with 40 breeder sump. Run the sump level at 7". No baffles or fuge.
Just filter sock, skimmer, carx, heater, return pump, small carbon reactor, 3 liters of eheim substrate pro in a mesh bag, and a 350gph quite one pump to keep everything moving which results in no detrius. Works well for me as I dont believe in the fuge method lol.
20200412_065309.jpg

Last edited:

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s inside the Tupperware and pvc tubes?

The tupperware, or dollar store shoe boxes, is ~4" of aragonite substrate. There are holes drilled near the top of sides and the lids keep most detritius from settling onto the sand. The theory is that a deep sand bed with low flow will produce anaerobic bacteria that aids in the nitrogen cycle. It also creates a place for micro fauna to live undisturbed and breed. If I need to clean them out, it's a lot easier to remove the tupperware than scoop sand out of the bottom of the sump. Not to mention all the detritus you release into the tank/sump when you disturb the substrate. I'm not sold on the effectiveness of it, but I don't need the space for anything else right now, so I leave them in.

The 3" pvc pipes are just an easily removable bubble trap after my mechanical filtration. I had a idea of possibly putting red LED's in them to make either an algae scrubber or in sump cheato reactor. I made a smaller version previously that I used on my quarantine tank, and it worked really well to eliminate nitrate and phosphate.

IMG_20170916_220712.jpg

I already have a large fuge and algae scrubber in my sump. So far, I've never had a detectable level or nitrate or phosphate in my 220. So I've never felt the need to complete that project. They do still work well as bubble traps.

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great to see a sketch on paper. I absolutely agree with the bigger, the better. Your needs are very likely to change, & building your own provides great flexibility to adapt.

When we started our large system, we planned two tanks. It was a 220 display & we used a standard 75gal sump. We paid $100 for x6 1/4" baffles & $90 for the tank.

Here's how our sump build changed over the last 18 months...

We did a bunch of reading & asked a lot of questions then created a plan:
01 - Design Plan.JPG

We designed 4 chambers with intakes on both ends flowing towards the return chamber in the middle.

Next bought the supplies & got to work:
02 - Installing Baffles.JPG

The "finished" product for what we needed at the time:
03 - Finished Build.JPG

Then plumbing & cycling:
04 - Plumbing & Cycling.JPEG

The algae scrubber was an unexpected addition, but turned out to fit reasonably well in the return chamber:
05 - Operating.JPEG

But that wasn't enough, so after we upgraded the display to 300gal, we kept building to solve new problems (dedicated 50gal refugium tank & 18gal surge tank):
06 - Evolving 1.jpeg

The 75gal remains a cornerstone of the system. We cut out the last baffle reducing to 3 chambers providing a larger return chamber which was necessary for the surge device. If we lose power, the 75gal is pretty full, but it has the capacity.
07 - Evolving 2.jpeg

Hope this helps. Enjoy your build.

OP
OP
B

Brycnz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I have come up with it’s 2440mm long just built it it will have my skimmer and filter socks at one end return and ever thing eles in the middle and the last part I can use it for fresh water for auto top up or open the tap that I will put in hole to add more water into the system or I can close the tap and use the last part as a QT tank any ideas to any thing els I need to add ?

image.jpg image.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 63 27.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back