Need help picking a "show fish"!

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, your princess parrot is really a Quoy's parrotfish, Scarus quoyi - nice one, too!

Show fish in my tank would be the kole tang, flame angel, and regal angelfish. (Quoy's parrotfish is on my shortest list...)

~Bruce

Eh whatever its called I paid $50 and I love him. Super peaceful.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what's in my reef, that's why I didn't recommend anything from my collection; I know it's not up your alley, other than the small mimic tang But here's an example of a reef safe wrasse "show fish":http://m.liveaquaria.com/divers-den...cotts-velvet-fairy-wrasse-terminal-phase-male

011.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I have problem with my HT is when I add small fish. If you not careful, you just give him an expensive meal. So far mine have never bother any of my animals that is in the tank, other than tiny snails. It the AM, when he get up, any of the tiny snails that are straggler an not in hiding yet are his breakfast. I have a hitchhiker pistol shrimp that been popping in my tank, not bother anybody. I still hear the popping sound after 5 years so I assume he is still there in the rock. Another smaller hitchhiker crab that I still see often. My cleaner shrimp pair still there after a few years.
I just got back after 1 week, tank sitter just feed the tank every three days and only once that day. Everybody still there. I half expect to miss my cleaner shrimp but no problem.

So I guess that you will not have problem with the pistol shrimp get eaten.

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a blue throat triggerfish? Or am I crazy?

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The perfect showfish in a large aquarium is definitely a Flaming prawn Goby. You buy it for $100 USD and it disappears. It eats left overs so it's alive but now it's a myth. It's a show when you see it lol. Never mind that. Get a Lineatus Supermale or PinTail Supermale. Really nice fish!

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder blue tangs do not acclimate well to captivity compared to other tangs mainly because ppl are not aware of the care level. Even experts have a difficult time keeping them alive for long terms.. Not saying it can't be done most of it comes down to finding the right fish and putting in a large tank, not overcrowding, and feeding right.

My old tank is still setup its got a yellowtang and hippo tang (both are 10 year old).

My system after adding fish..

20170529_170121.jpg
Beautiful lyretail male anthias! The purple coloration is my favorite (over the red).

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The perfect showfish in a large aquarium is definitely a Flaming prawn Goby. You buy it for $100 USD and it disappears. It eats left overs so it's alive but now it's a myth. It's a show when you see it lol. Never mind that. Get a Lineatus Supermale or PinTail Supermale. Really nice fish!

LOL

I'll check out those wrasses for sure

I have a pair and I find them rather boring, hate to say that though.

Eh, I decided to skip on them myself after researching more about their tendency to murder sometimes

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunburst Anthias are beautiful and could be one of your additions, if you keep to peaceful non-aggressive fish.
Lineatus male wrasse. Pyramid butterfly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back