Need help/tips/suggestions mounting IceCap UV sterilizer

Fresh2Salt95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this 27W sterilizer. I have it mounted with the clips.

The problem is the manufacturer says to mount it with the inlet/outlet point straight up.

The clips are poorly made and do not securely tighten the UV sterilizer, it kind of rests on them.

So I need some help here:

1. Can I run this with the inlet/outlet facing straight out (horizontal, see picture)?

2. Is there something other than the clips I could use?

3. Is there some sort of strap I could wrap around the middle of the UV and then drill into the wall to keep it upright (vertical)?

Any suggestions for getting this thing right are welcome.
20220306_155031.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Yes (see below).
2. Not really (at least not that I'd trust).
3. Yes, you can mount it vertically using the same clips (just rotate them 90° with the UV bulb access up).

I assume there's a pump somewhere in this configuration? You can even place the UV beside/behind your tank if you want. The only thing you really need access to is the top to remove the bulb. Those steel clamps for the hoses work - just keep in-mind that they will rust (I used these plastic hose clamps I found on Amazon that just clip around the hose).

With respect to mounting the unit horizontally, the reason the manufacturer suggests mounting it with the outlets facing up is to prevent air bubbles from collecting in the unit. That being said, I have mine mounted horizontally (like yours) with the outlets facing down. With a bit of trial and error by partially closing the output hose and ramping the pump speed up and down I was able to eliminate all my air bubbles. Provided the pump and outlet hose remain underwater, I never have any issues and can even turn the pump off.

OP
OP
F

Fresh2Salt95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Yes (see below).
3. Yes, you can mount it vertically using the same clips (just rotate them 90° with the UV bulb access up).

I assume there's a pump somewhere in this configuration? You can even place the UV beside/behind your tank if you want. The only thing you really need access to is the top to remove the bulb. Those steel clamps for the hoses work - just keep in-mind that they will rust (I used these plastic hose clamps I found on Amazon that just clip around the hose).

With respect to mounting the unit horizontally, the reason the manufacturer suggests mounting it with the outlets facing up is to prevent air bubbles from collecting in the unit. That being said, I have mine mounted horizontally (like yours) with the outlets facing down. With a bit of trial and error by partially closing the output hose and ramping the pump speed up and down I was able to eliminate all my air bubbles. Provided the pump and outlet hose remain underwater, I never have any issues and can even turn the pump off.
Okay, I just mounted it with the inlet/outlet straight down.

The instructions on the website are hard to follow.

Do you think I have it good to do a leak test now?

I just don't want water to spew out the blue part.
20220306_162613.jpg

OP
OP
F

Fresh2Salt95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Yes (see below).

Okay, I got it all set up and working, no leaks.

Does it matter if there are some bubbles?

I actually like the additional aeration.

It's not gonna affect the performance will it?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want as few as possible ideally, and preferably no air pockets. As I indicated, I partially closed the output hose with a finger and just ramped up the pump speed for a bit. If you turn the lights out you'll be able to better gauge this with the glow through the hose.

OP
OP
F

Fresh2Salt95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I did what you suggested.

Only extremely small bubbles are coming out, like 2-3 micro bubbles per every few seconds.

That should be fine, right?

nisemu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this 27W sterilizer. I have it mounted with the clips.

The problem is the manufacturer says to mount it with the inlet/outlet point straight up.

The clips are poorly made and do not securely tighten the UV sterilizer, it kind of rests on them.

So I need some help here:

1. Can I run this with the inlet/outlet facing straight out (horizontal, see picture)?

2. Is there something other than the clips I could use?

3. Is there some sort of strap I could wrap around the middle of the UV and then drill into the wall to keep it upright (vertical)?

Any suggestions for getting this thing right are welcome.
20220306_155031.jpg
Hi i just got this uv sterilizer and was wondering if it has a pump in it or if it needs a pump attached to it? the directions are super unclear

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back