Need Help With Blenny

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. So I have an incredibly weird question. I just purchased a Flametail Blenny, and I want to begin quarantine with him, specifically tank transfer method. Unfortunately, this Blenny absolutely loves his shell. To catch him, my LFS literally just put their hand in, and grabbed the shell. He refuses to fully come out. Unfortunately I can’t do TTM with him if he has his shell. Does anyone have any recommendations for getting him out? I’ve tried gently moving it around above water. Unfortunately he gets so incredibly deep in the shell its Impossible to make him come out.

9BECC1D9-ACB3-473F-B833-B2F001DDF901.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5206.MOV
    3.6 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all. So I have an incredibly weird question. I just purchased a Flametail Blenny, and I want to begin quarantine with him, specifically tank transfer method. Unfortunately, this Blenny absolutely loves his shell. To catch him, my LFS literally just put their hand in, and grabbed the shell. He refuses to fully come out. Unfortunately I can’t do TTM with him if he has his shell. Does anyone have any recommendations for getting him out? I’ve tried gently moving it around above water. Unfortunately he gets so incredibly deep in the shell its Impossible to make him come out.

9BECC1D9-ACB3-473F-B833-B2F001DDF901.jpeg
take a cup and scoop the fish and shell together and transfer to next tank

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leave the food at the other end of the tank. Take a dab of superglue and a piece of twine, and connect it to that shell. Probably monitor at night under red light. As soon as that blenny leaves his shell, yank it out via the twine :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leave the food at the other end of the tank. Take a dab of superglue and a piece of twine, and connect it to that shell. Probably monitor at night under red light. As soon as that blenny leaves his shell, yank it out via the twine :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Genuinely debating this. Unfortunately he has yet to fully comes out. I just don’t want to leave him in a bowl rather than a heated tank. Honestly this might be what I have to do though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use TTM for quarantine. Wouldn’t allowing to keep his shell mess with my quarantining?
shell is made of calcium and cant see how it would impact quarantine. This shell is keeping the fish happy and stress level low and beats a PVC pipe. The fish is bound to come out and you can then attempt to snatch the shell

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shell is made of calcium and cant see how it would impact quarantine. This shell is keeping the fish happy and stress level low and beats a PVC pipe. The fish is bound to come out and you can then attempt to snatch the shell
Maybe I misunderstood something about using TTM for ich. Fron my understanding including a hard surface would allow ich tomonts to remain in the tank. I could just include him as is, and take the shell out when I see him out of it. But I won’t be able to start TTM until that happens, correct?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back