Need help with dying Meat coral

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I can see in the pic you have a button coral I think next to it that looks stunning. But what I’m saying is the light is too intense for the newly added coral. The radion is a powerful LED L, especially on something as small as a 20 gallon AND especially using a xr30 instead of the smaller xr15. That light might be a little too powerful for the newly added coral because the tank and the lights in the LFS are much less powerful. Unless you have a LFS running radions over their tanks in which case I would like the address to it because they must have some kick a** corals if they can afford to run radions over all their livestock

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad those are acans. I must be blind lol. But I am surely not telling you to buy new lights as your tank looks great. Just to acclimate any new corals to your tank lights slowly to help ease the transition for the corals from your LFS tank to yours, just like you said you acclimated the coral to your water parameters. Corals are sensitive, they need TLC.

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad those are acans. I must be blind lol. But I am surely not telling you to buy new lights as your tank looks great. Just to acclimate any new corals to your tank lights slowly to help ease the transition for the corals from your LFS tank to yours, just like you said you acclimated the coral to your water parameters. Corals are sensitive, they need TLC.

OP
OP
J

Jacky Siu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral hasnt been doing better, just doing worse and worse. The tissue lost seems too much and i dont know what to do anymore

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed it, start with small food, but if you can get it to eat, it'll turn around. They need meaty foods with ZERO competition, as the fish and shrimp will pick it out of it's mouth, further hurting it. Mine was in bad shape when I got it, and it's turned around completely. Make sure it's in almost no flow, they don't like much if any flow. I would suggest seeing if you can get any feeding response. Mine used to take no joke, half an hour to eat a few pellets, now it's maybe a 3 minute ordeal. Get it eating, feed it every day for a month. Sometimes a blueberry or strawberry container (plastic with holes) over the top will help keep others from bothering it. I use Fauna Marin LPS pellets, with the water almost completely turned off so the pellets sit in the main body, and eventually it sucks them into it's mouth. Good luck!

IMG_20180115_135709.jpg

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much light. Possibly burned. Looks like it might be dying now but don' know. Is it getting like a jelly on the flesh?...bacterial infection? Try to get it in as low of light as possible and very low flow. If it looks like jelly/bacterial infection, dip it. It seems to be progressing very rapidly if you have a qt/hospital tank, use that. Also, you may want to try just a drop or 2 of iodine/Lugols for the qt/hospital tank. Try to feed it brine/mysid if possible. My best suggestion is to get it out of the display so it can recover in good water quality, minimum flow and without competition...chemically and critters. If you think that it was injured at the LFS, I would notify them as soon as they open!Ask questions...when did they receive it, last time Fed and what, etc... If the lighting burned it, then i could expect that rapid of a decline. Good luck and I sure hope you can nurse it back to health.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral hasnt been doing better, just doing worse and worse. The tissue lost seems too much and i dont know what to do anymore
Hi Jacky, saw this track as i am struggling with my meat coral... did you managed to save your?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back