Need help with Hydros Controller!

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good afternoon,

I have been having issues with my Hydros controller. I reached out to the coralvue support team but I was wondering if anyone else has any thoughts. I have issues with my controller showing as not responding. It is only the WiFi strip. The controller never disconnects. I have my WiFi split it is connected to 2.4 ghz. That is not the issue. I have reconnected and disconnected multiple times. I have updated to the newest update I have also reverted to the old one and nothing. I am getting a bit frustrated/nervous since this is pretty much my life line to the tank. My ATO and temp and everything is controlled. The issue is I am going on vacation for a week away from my tank. I really am scared something is going to happen when I am gone.

D2732777-3178-4D76-A184-CAE8810BDA85.png

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First, I can't help with your wifi issues, but I would suggest to not have critical components tied to a wifi strip, especially return pumps and heaters. I would get a separate heater controller, regardless of what aquarium controller you have. Also, plug your light (Kessil AP700, right?) into a normal outlet. There's no need to control this through your controller. You might want to post on the Hydros support forum as well to get as many eyes on this as possible. It could be that the wifi signal is being blocked by something physical? I don't think the chip in these strips are very robust, but I'm just speculating here. I hope you find a solution.
Bump for help!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, is it just the wifi strip that shows as not responding. Usually when that does happen it will reconnect in a couple of minutes. As stated there could be something between you router and the wifi strip that is blocking the signal. Water for one can block a wifi signal. Have you tried moving the strip to a different spot. I had one that kept dropping out and when I moved it it was rock solid. I also had another strip and some controllers less than a foot away form that spot and never had an issue with them. I now have a controller in that spot and it now has an issue dropping wifi, but since it is in a collective it is not an issue unless I am changing setups on things. Do you have a mesh type network?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I forgot to mention when the wifi strip looses communication the outlets will stay in the state they are in until communication is restored. So if they are on like a return pump they will stay on. If you loose power to the strip then after power on reset the output will remain off until told otherwise by the controller. With a heater that could be on or off when communication is lost. As mentioned I would have a backup on the heater just in case. I use heaters that have their own thermostat that is set 3 degrees higher than the Hydros setting. If for some reason the Hydros output stays on then the heater thermostat will turn off the heater. I am not sure which controller you have but I do not use the wifi strip for ATO, AWC or dosing. For those I use the drive ports. Those are not affected by wifi signal. When I go on vacation I have someone I can call to check on things if something happens. You will get alerts so if you do get one and it looks like there is an issue hopefully you have someone that can swing by and check things. I do have battery backup on my wave pumps that should be good for a little over a day. If you don't have something like that it may be a good idea to check into that. You never know when you can loose power.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back