Need help

Deborah Armay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have a 150 gallon reef tank on my main floor. I have an automatic water change set up with my apex. The water changing system is in the basement. The tubing to bring the clean water and take the tank water out comes up from the basement through a hole in the floor. The tubing that takes the tank water away is not long enough to go from the basement to the main floor and so I had to us a shark bite connector. Several months ago the tubing separated from the shark bite and drained the sump onto my hardwood floor. It soaked through the floor and ruined the ceiling in the basement. Since that accident have have been scared to put the system back together in case the same thing happened. I got a new sharp bite but if I pull hard enough I can separate the tubing. Is there something I can use in the line draining the tank incase this would happen again. I;m thinking maybe a check valve? Thanks for your expertise.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have a 150 gallon reef tank on my main floor. I have an automatic water change set up with my apex. The water changing system is in the basement. The tubing to bring the clean water and take the tank water out comes up from the basement through a hole in the floor. The tubing that takes the tank water away is not long enough to go from the basement to the main floor and so I had to us a shark bite connector. Several months ago the tubing separated from the shark bite and drained the sump onto my hardwood floor. It soaked through the floor and ruined the ceiling in the basement. Since that accident have have been scared to put the system back together in case the same thing happened. I got a new sharp bite but if I pull hard enough I can separate the tubing. Is there something I can use in the line draining the tank incase this would happen again. I;m thinking maybe a check valve? Thanks for your expertise.
I would replace the tubing with a new roll.

Cheap insurance and no weak links.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By you saying shark/sharp bite ,I prezume you meaning something we call a " pushfit" fitting here in sunny England.just a fitting that can push pipe in then twist to lock or some just push in,if so when using plastic pipe need to use an " insert " in the plastic pipe to make more rigid and give a better hold .
I thinking this as you say on new fitting you bought ,if you pull it hard enough then you can pull it out,so double check if meant to add an insert or if need to screw end off fitting once pipe in,and off course the grippers and washers or whatever is meant to be Inside is all there and accounted for

This video shows the inserts I was on about and the need to make sure connected etc.
Not sure if shark or sharp bite are same in the US or not as never heard off them and been plumber 20 odd years now

Last edited:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind for PTC fittings or "shark bite branded PTC's (push to connect)
A semi rigid tube is needed.
Softer tubing is not recommended.
Also, a lot of tubing included with manufacturers come in various diameters, some which may be similar looking but might infact be 1 or 2 MM off or metric.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option, i pump nsw from the basement, and another at the tank to remove osw, above the tank to reduce chances of an accident.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back