Need info on filtration under gravel

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New lg tank. Herd of a filtration system that goes under the gravel in tank that does good job of cleaning up poop n leftover food particles. Are they expensive and can I use other filtration systems with it

84516836-9E71-4C8C-AC56-F692483F4032.jpeg

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do that, it's old school. Can lead to buildup of bad nutrient levels over time. I had mine like that back in the 70s. You could use air stones or power heads the fit inside the uptubes to draw water thru the gravel & that caused the uneaten food & poop to accumulate under the plastic filter sheets.
Edit:
Here's some info.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do that, it's old school. Can lead to buildup of bad nutrient levels over time. I had mine like that back in the 70s. You could use air stones or power heads the fit inside the uptubes to draw water thru the gravel & that caused the uneaten food & poop to accumulate under the plastic filter sheets.
Edit:
Here's some info.
Thank you very much for all that information I read what you had attached to your post and it really help me make a good decision

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget maybe it was plenum but it was different than under gravel but either way there are better ways now. Good choice not to go that way.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you'd like to read up on the plenum method, there's an excellent write up and research by Bob Goemans on saltcorner.com. Not recommending it for your display, although I'm very likely to setup a secondary tank using the Jaubert Plenum method, but that's just my curiosity. My display is simple, berlin all the way. Still a fascinating read and I always enjoy learning about the history of the hobby. Oh, there's some Dr. Jean Jaubert vids from conferences on YouTube. He invented the methodology.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI
It will work for a fuge. Where you want a lot of critters and bacteria to be under the gravel. If you do that, you need to do it in reverse. Where you pump water under and it pushes stuff up and out of the gravel.
Paul B runs one in his tank and it has been up for a bizzillon years

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is @Paul B when you need him. He's been running under gravel since Adam and Eve! Hopefully he'll check in and explain, but I believe he runs it in reverse.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back