Need redo plumbing

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any West Valley people bored and want to help me figure out how to replumb my 150g tank and add in UV I got let me know. I am trying to come up with something.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any West Valley people bored and want to help me figure out how to replumb my 150g tank and add in UV I got let me know. I am trying to come up with something.
I mean I’ll help I’m not from down there though but if you posted some pics I’d love to throw in some input

OP
OP
R

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some how is now. I was using the tube on far left for fast water changes.

IMG_1988.JPEG IMG_1989.JPEG IMG_1990.JPEG IMG_1991.JPEG

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some how is now. I was using the tube on far left for fast water changes.

IMG_1988.JPEG IMG_1989.JPEG IMG_1990.JPEG IMG_1991.JPEG
Looks really good tbh I’d suggest the UV before the sump especially, if you have, the refugium as if you put it after having copepods and other microorganisms go from ur chaeto/refugium to the display is difficult. My skimmer is sadly after my refugium Bc my sump is garbage lol personally id do a submerged UV but if you plumb it into one of the PVC coming down from the display with high, constant flow it should work well.

nice live aquaria fish lol

OP
OP
R

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some thoughts. Please provide feedback. Since I have an outlet from the tank 1" that is gravity feed I used to drain tank/water changes I was thinking using it to feed the UV unit. Plumb it into the drain line. Then maybe add tee so can still drain tank and feed UV. Then run water though UV out to first chamber in sump. My thoughts are I would get enough flow without a pump to UV and also return water before goes though the sump. Just first though by please open to comments!

Sump.png Bottom_Outlet_1995.png Outlet Tank_1994.JPEG.png

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get enough flow with gravity. UV does not require a lot of flow.
A UV is most effective when the water is clear, as more light can penetrate.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some thoughts. Please provide feedback. Since I have an outlet from the tank 1" that is gravity feed I used to drain tank/water changes I was thinking using it to feed the UV unit. Plumb it into the drain line. Then maybe add tee so can still drain tank and feed UV. Then run water though UV out to first chamber in sump. My thoughts are I would get enough flow without a pump to UV and also return water before goes though the sump. Just first though by please open to comments!

Sump.png Bottom_Outlet_1995.png Outlet Tank_1994.JPEG.png
I would defiantly not use that line. In a power outage or return pump failure the tank will completely. Way to risky!
There is no reason you could not run one of your drains to the filter sock thru the UV before the sock. Ideally you don’t want a bunch of air in the UV and you probably want a slower flow thru the UV so a valve to restrict flow between the UV and filter sock will let you accomplish both. The flow rate thru the UV can effect what they will do for you and is very important. A fast flow rate is good for algae control, a slower rate will kill parasites like ICH. A slower rate will kill larger things like pods. The UV manual should give you recommendations on the flow rates.

OP
OP
R

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I totally over looked using drain if had power issue. I would not want to drain this all to the sump for sure!

So if used manifold off the return pump not sure how could return water to display? Read it wise to put UV water back into sump and keep UVing same water.

OP
OP
R

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what if used the drain and still used tee so could drain tank and other end into Submerged pump in sump. Then from pump into UV and out to overtop return into DT. At this point wouldn’t it be closed and case to drain other than if drain tee open?

OP
OP
R

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what if used the drain and still used tee so could drain tank and other end into Submerged pump in sump. Then from pump into UV and out to overtop return into DT. At this point wouldn’t it be closed and case to drain other than if drain tee open?
Anyone?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you utilized some drilled holes for a closed loop system for other intentions.

That barb that you use to drain/waterchanges is scary to me. Are you opposed to leaning towards a more traditional plumping?

It maybe my interpretation of what you're asking, but can you explain in clearer detail what you want to do with that drain barb? It sounds like you want to tee off of it and drain some back into the sump via an inline UV. Then rely on the return pump (or a secondary pump) to push it back into the main display. Did I completely miss the mark?

OP
OP
R

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you utilized some drilled holes for a closed loop system for other intentions.

That barb that you use to drain/waterchanges is scary to me. Are you opposed to leaning towards a more traditional plumping?

It maybe my interpretation of what you're asking, but can you explain in clearer detail what you want to do with that drain barb? It sounds like you want to tee off of it and drain some back into the sump via an inline UV. Then rely on the return pump (or a secondary pump) to push it back into the main display. Did I completely miss the mark?
So this tank had 4 holes. I wanted a center slim overflow so added a Fuji 2000gph overflow. I ended up plugging 3 of the bottom holes in tank with bulkheads and PVC. I use the one (1") with a strainer into stand with ball valve. I can open valve to drain tank fast when needed.

So my though was use this line to bring it to a tee when I could split line to still drain tank and other side into a gate valve and UV. Then use a pump to push water back up into tank.

I am open to suggestions. I haven't used UV in past and little confused as how can get all right. I know you live near by so if wanted to see in person that would be great.

I have some fittings coming tomorrow so trying come up with best plan I can before redoing this.

Last edited:

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I totally over looked using drain if had power issue. I would not want to drain this all to the sump for sure!

So if used manifold off the return pump not sure how could return water to display? Read it wise to put UV water back into sump and keep UVing same water.
Pumping the same water back thru the UV is counter productive.
Do not use that drain for anything but what you are currently using it for. Anything else besides a closed loop is a recipe for disaster.

OP
OP
R

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumping the same water back thru the UV is counter productive.
Do not use that drain for anything but what you are currently using it for. Anything else besides a closed loop is a recipe for disaster.
Wouldn’t basically be a closed loop at this point just with ball valve option to drain?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reread you post. I guess I did not understand what you were saying. If your saying it would be plumbed to the intake of the pump and then it goes to the tank it should be ok. Just be sure there is no way for water to drain to the sump and it should be ok. Cheap pumps may allow water to leak out.

OP
OP
R

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys any ideas how should/can plumb this in? I do have external pump can add and 1" gate valve and 1" true union.

IMG_2033.JPEG

Chayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following Just picked up the same unit
thinking of installing it on my return line into the display, first time plumbing

OP
OP
R

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following Just picked up the same unit
thinking of installing it on my return line into the display, first time plumbing
I never installed it yet. Ended up with new tank and not sure going to use it.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 52 46.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back