Need Sump/Refugium Advice

Zachvet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a drilled 125 and would like to build a sump/refugium under the tank. An overflow box is included that fell off the back of the tank so I cleaned all the old silicone off and plan to reattach it. Before I do, I want to get a good understanding of how the plumbing will work as this is my first time using a sump.

I know the basic layout here - the two holes where the overflow will be are the intake from the tank to the sump. The two higher points are where the water returns to the display. What I need help with is "how"? What sort of pump do I need to buy to properly return the water? If I bought a prebuilt sump package would it include everything I need? I'm thinking maybe I ought to go that route being this is my first time using one.

I have attached a few photos for reference. Appreciate any insight!

125plumbing1.jpg 125plumbing2.jpg 125plumbing3.jpg

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would still have to buy a pump if you bought a sump.
Make it as big as possible. A standard glass tank could be used.
I would recommend Momentive rtv 108, make sure it dries well and support the pipes from the bottom of the box. As far as a pump, decide how much water you want returning to the tank in GPH. Here i would say a DC pump like Deep Sea Aquatics brand would do fine since they can be over sized & run @ lower wattage to decrease flow. You would have to split the return line to accommodate the 2 returns.

OP
OP
Zachvet

Zachvet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both! I’m going to take a stab at building my own sump - I watched a few videos and it seems straightforward. I decided to do my own because I want room for both a refugium and a skimmer chamber. I can build my own from a 40gal long and get all the chambers I need for under $200 I think.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back