neoGeorge's Build: One Reef & One Planted Freshwater

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Very cool build process, and nice to see the AIO and analysis of the equipment. Particularly cool to see the planted tank alongside - yes, it's a reef forum, but psssshhhhh. It's seriously cool and they both are looking great.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The housing market is hot in Phoenix, so our landlord has decided to sell the house we're renting 6 months before our lease is up. With no option to renew the lease, and the home now on the market, we're looking for new digs - so, another move. I think we'll be buying this time ;)

Wow... can you not stop him from selling early or is there a clause that lets him out?

My brother lives in Phoenix and has been considering selling his place. I think it's a bit bigger than what you guys might want though.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... can you not stop him from selling early or is there a clause that lets him out?

My brother lives in Phoenix and has been considering selling his place. I think it's a bit bigger than what you guys might want though.

@crusso1993
I think the new owner would have to honor our lease, but, to be honest, I've really disliked this tenancy; the property manager is a Realtor who, I suspect, primarily manages low rent properties (ours is not low rent), so any required work is done cheaply, anything that may be deemed not entirely necessary (like replacing fire alarms are over 10 years old) is not addressed. Apparently the previous tenants of 15 years destroyed this place and the property manager continually uses the excuse that the owner doesn't have the money to make anything but absolutely essential repairs. We've put money down on a new construction spec home that should be ready in about a month.

Of course the biggest concern is moving the tanks - fingers are crossed that I can repeat the successes from the last move :)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crusso1993
I think the new owner would have to honor our lease, but, to be honest, I've really disliked this tenancy; the property manager is a Realtor who, I suspect, primarily manages low rent properties (ours is not low rent), so any required work is done cheaply, anything that may be deemed not entirely necessary (like replacing fire alarms are over 10 years old) is not addressed. Apparently the previous tenants of 15 years destroyed this place and the property manager continually uses the excuse that the owner doesn't have the money to make anything but absolutely essential repairs. We've put money down on a new construction spec home that should be ready in about a month.

Of course the biggest concern is moving the tanks - fingers are crossed that I can repeat the successes from the last move :)

Dealing with crappy and cheap landlords is the worst. We have been dealing with one for 5 years now. Would love to move but the reasons to stay are greater than the reasons to move. Hopefully, as you already know, I'll be heading somewhere warm soon and my lady will follow once the senior graduates and goes off to college.
Funny but true; they landed in Phoenix about 15 minutes ago and are there to check out University of Arizona and Arizona State.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealing with crappy and cheap landlords is the worst. We have been dealing with one for 5 years now. Would love to move but the reasons to stay are greater than the reasons to move. Hopefully, as you already know, I'll be heading somewhere warm soon and my lady will follow once the senior graduates and goes off to college.
Funny but true; they landed in Phoenix about 15 minutes ago and are there to check out University of Arizona and Arizona State.

I remember you mentioning moving someplace warmer, but also remember Florida being a stronger contender than Phoenix; if you do make it out this way for a visit or move, let me know!

Quite the coincidence - definitely a big benefit that you have a brother who lives in town!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember you mentioning moving someplace warmer, but also remember Florida being a stronger contender than Phoenix; if you do make it out this way for a visit or move, let me know!

Quite the coincidence - definitely a big benefit that you have a brother who lives in town!

Florida is definitely the #1 contender. However, at this point, I'm no longer being so selective and sending resumes for positions elsewhere too.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while for any updates. How are the tanks? How goes the new house process?

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while for any updates. How are the tanks? How goes the new house process?
Thanks for checking in @crusso1993 ! Reef tank is doing very well, although nitrates and phosphates have stayed at zero, so I've been reducing the NOPOX dosing; there's also a growing patch of bubble algae, so I plan to get a couple of emerald crabs (and a cleaner shrimp), after the pending move. The freshwater tank has delivered some surprises - those plants that grew fastest in the beginning are in an apparent hibernation, leading to algae growing on the leaves - other plants are growing vigorously. Of course, everything will be upended in a few weeks, so I'm not doing any major changes.

We'll be the first, or one of the first, homes to close in a new development, so we're having to wait for the city to sign off on inspection reports and the ability to provide trash and recycle pickup; the home itself is basically completed. We'll be living with a lot of construction in the neighborhood for a few months, but hopefully will be able to avoid flat tires due to errant nails and screws ;)

What's news on your end? Is a warmer climate in your future?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for checking in @crusso1993 ! Reef tank is doing very well, although nitrates and phosphates have stayed at zero, so I've been reducing the NOPOX dosing; there's also a growing patch of bubble algae, so I plan to get a couple of emerald crabs (and a cleaner shrimp), after the pending move. The freshwater tank has delivered some surprises - those plants that grew fastest in the beginning are in an apparent hibernation, leading to algae growing on the leaves - other plants are growing vigorously. Of course, everything will be upended in a few weeks, so I'm not doing any major changes.

We'll be the first, or one of the first, homes to close in a new development, so we're having to wait for the city to sign off on inspection reports and the ability to provide trash and recycle pickup; the home itself is basically completed. We'll be living with a lot of construction in the neighborhood for a few months, but hopefully will be able to avoid flat tires due to errant nails and screws ;)

Sounds like some exciting things brewing!

Nothing shaking in the warmer climate department here. It's a bit of a bummer and frustrating. However, I keep plugging along with hope.

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hope that everything'll go well with the move; they can be pretty brutal if you don't plan it out well. Even then, it can be tough.

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The housing market is hot in Phoenix, so our landlord has decided to sell the house we're renting 6 months before our lease is up. With no option to renew the lease, and the home now on the market, we're looking for new digs - so, another move. I think we'll be buying this time ;)

Sorry I disappeared for the past 1.5 months, and I missed everything going on. Congratulations on the new house, and I hope that your move goes smoothly. I also hope that you don't have to deal with errant screws/nails/etc with the construction, and that your development soon gets the permits to have a successful move-in!

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I disappeared for the past 1.5 months, and I missed everything going on. Congratulations on the new house, and I hope that your move goes smoothly. I also hope that you don't have to deal with errant screws/nails/etc with the construction, and that your development soon gets the permits to have a successful move-in!
Hey @KC V. - good to hear from you, and thanks!

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef tank update:
Fish and corals are doing well, and I've just recently added 3 tiny emerald crabs to hopefully remove the bubble algae that is starting to spread. Also found some tiny aptasia colonies on one of the rocks; this was a real surprise since I haven't introduced any new corals since, like, last year! Anyway, treated with Aptasia-X, which has worked for me in the past.

Still seeing some cyano at the front of the tank, but it's not flourishing like it was last month - did a 10% water change and vacuumed up the cyano. Seeing the first measurable nitrates (0.50), but phosphate is still at zero - NOPOX dosing is now down to 1 ml per day. Salinity is up to 1.028 as a result of the 2 part dosing, but I'll address that in a couple weeks with a large water change as part of the tank move.

Freshwater update:
Fish, shrimp and some plants are doing great. Water has been getting cloudy quite often - carbon seems to help, but I've also added a canister filter + UV, cloudiness may be the result of bacterial blooms, not sure. Below: the Rotalas did extremely well initially, growing almost to the top of the tank, but then they fizzled out. Pogostemon got off to a slow start but is now looking vibrant. Hydrocotyle is very vigorous, as is the Hygrophila. Ludwigia and Alternathera have stalled. Perhaps the nutrients have been consumed from the substrate? Still dosing macros and micros to the water table.

1567509808071.png

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderful video of a gorgeous tank. It's always a bit surprising to me how much color your can get into a fresh tank - I'm so used to seeing nothing but bland black/white/grey cichlids.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both aquariums are now moved, again! Lots of household unpacking to do too, so the dosing, ato and inkbird controllers aren't reinstalled yet. Everyone made it through fine, although the reef needs to be reaquascaped - somehow all of the pieces of rock don't fit together the same way (and I didn't map which piece goes where :)

I've decided to remove the Monti since it grows so fast and got so large - it was the primary reason that my alk dosing kept on creeping up, which was also increasing the salinity, and frankly, it was hard to find a place for it in the tank after the move. I'd like to populate that large piece of real estate with LPS and softies; if you know of any Los Angeles based shops that warrant a day trip from Phoenix, please let me know! I've purchased online from Unique Corals, so that's one shop on my list...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back