neoGeorge's Build: One Reef & One Planted Freshwater

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @neoGeorge ! Any updates? Hope the [second] move went well for you and your family.

I really have enjoyed VividAquariums as the local LA shop as well. It's west valley off the 101, but they have been really great with fish + corals for me!

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @neoGeorge ! Any updates? Hope the [second] move went well for you and your family.

I really have enjoyed VividAquariums as the local LA shop as well. It's west valley off the 101, but they have been really great with fish + corals for me!

Hey @KC V. , good to hear from you! The second move kind of kicked me off the grid, but slowly getting back on my feet again :) The tanks are doing pretty well, glad to report (I'm uploading a video of the reef tank - there are a few new coral frag additions, but still a very modest setup compared with many on this forum!)

I didn't realize that VividAquariums was in LA; will have to check them out. I've been buying online from Unique Corals with good results, but they do boost the colors quite a bit in their photos.

How's the new job? Let me know if you're in town; perhaps we can meet up for a beverage or bite to eat.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef has a few new coral frag‘s and a couple of livestock changes (added a new cleaner shrimp, and lost our lawnmower blenny of two years).

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I admit it; I've been a lousy member of R2R and a crappy friend. I could give all kinds of excuses/reasons why I went MIA but will save you the agony. Bottom line is I jumped out of the R2R ocean without warning or saying anything to nearly anyone. It was an uncalled for and selfish act. So, I offer my apologies to you, and anyone else, that I had built a cyber-friendship with through this forum. I won't let it happen again.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I admit it; I've been a lousy member of R2R and a crappy friend. I could give all kinds of excuses/reasons why I went MIA but will save you the agony. Bottom line is I jumped out of the R2R ocean without warning or saying anything to nearly anyone. It was an uncalled for and selfish act. So, I offer my apologies to you, and anyone else, that I had built a cyber-friendship with through this forum. I won't let it happen again.
@crusso1993 -no apology necessary, and no offense taken! I was missing your posts but figured you were MIA for a good reason (and frankly, the second house-hold move in a three month period sent me out of the R2R ocean (and many other oceans too) ;-) Bottom line, WELCOME BACK! You were missed.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crusso1993 -no apology necessary, and no offense taken! I was missing your posts but figured you were MIA for a good reason (and frankly, the second house-hold move in a three month period sent me out of the R2R ocean (and many other oceans too) ;-) Bottom line, WELCOME BACK! You were missed.

Thanks @neoGeorge !

Since you say no apologies are needed; I hereby withdraw any and all ideas, real or imagined, that may implicate me in any wrongdoing. Furthermore, I will deny, deny, deny anything that looks remotely like I might have behaved like a ******! ;)

Three months? Did you say it took you three months to make the move to the new place? WOW!
Oh, BTW, I was in Phoenix from October 4th through October 14th. I was there helping my brother out with a few personal things. Man, was the weather gorgeous! Should I revisit, any time soon, I'll make sure to contact you to see about meeting.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @neoGeorge !

Since you say no apologies are needed; I hereby withdraw any and all ideas, real or imagined, that may implicate me in any wrongdoing. Furthermore, I will deny, deny, deny anything that looks remotely like I might have behaved like a ******! ;)

Three months? Did you say it took you three months to make the move to the new place? WOW!
Oh, BTW, I was in Phoenix from October 4th through October 14th. I was there helping my brother out with a few personal things. Man, was the weather gorgeous! Should I revisit, any time soon, I'll make sure to contact you to see about meeting.

@crusso1993 , that's more like it! Phoenix weather is beautiful 8-9 months of the year, and in the summer, there's the pool to take the edge off. Let me know when you're back in town ;-)

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @KC V. , good to hear from you! The second move kind of kicked me off the grid, but slowly getting back on my feet again :) The tanks are doing pretty well, glad to report (I'm uploading a video of the reef tank - there are a few new coral frag additions, but still a very modest setup compared with many on this forum!)

I didn't realize that VividAquariums was in LA; will have to check them out. I've been buying online from Unique Corals with good results, but they do boost the colors quite a bit in their photos.

How's the new job? Let me know if you're in town; perhaps we can meet up for a beverage or bite to eat.
@neoGeorge yeah new job has kicked me in the butt a bit, too. I've been traveling for work a lot, but it's been a very great transition! I'm looking forward to a few weeks of slowing down, but also I am looking forward to everything picking up in 2020! I'll send you a direct message with some details about upcoming travel to Phoenix.

The reef tank is looking great! Looking forward to more updates!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@neoGeorge - wishing you and your loved ones good tidings!

5129710_0.jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing you and your family nothing but good health and happiness in 2020!

Best-Happy-New-Year-2020-Gif-For-Whatsapp-Instagram.gif

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @crusso1993! I hope this is the year that propels you into warmers climes and a new tank build!

Funny you should say that as I'm considering converting our FW 90g to a full planted tank. Looking at some different combos on T5 lighting now and also CO2 systems. I think I can get it all done, including bulbs, on the cheap for about $200. You have any suggestions?

And how about a couple FTSs of your systems too?

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you should say that as I'm considering converting our FW 90g to a full planted tank. Looking at some different combos on T5 lighting now and also CO2 systems. I think I can get it all done, including bulbs, on the cheap for about $200. You have any suggestions?

And how about a couple FTSs of your systems too?
@crusso1993, I purchased this CO2 system and the regulator works fine (although the CO2 canister is basically useless because I can't get it filled locally). I purchased a couple of Tippmann CO2 tanks from Amazon and have them filled at a local Dick's Sporting Goods. I think I also used this adapter:
1578068649727.png

Substrate is also pretty important, and, although pricey, I've had good success with Tropica brand:
1578068751677.png

I'll get some FTS posted in a bit.

Good luck, and feel free to reach out with questions - I've included other documentation of the freshwater build in the April 2019 time frame of this thread.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crusso1993, I purchased this CO2 system and the regulator works fine (although the CO2 canister is basically useless because I can't get it filled locally). I purchased a couple of Tippmann CO2 tanks from Amazon and have them filled at a local Dick's Sporting Goods. I think I also used this adapter:
1578068649727.png

Substrate is also pretty important, and, although pricey, I've had good success with Tropica brand:
1578068751677.png

I'll get some FTS posted in a bit.

Good luck, and feel free to reach out with questions - I've included other documentation of the freshwater build in the April 2019 time frame of this thread.

Thank you for the input, @neoGeorge. It is appreciated!

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the input, @neoGeorge. It is appreciated!
@crusso1993 sorry about the slow response time, but here's an FTS video of the freshwater tank. Some of the original plant varieties that grew scraggly didn't take well to maintenance trimming or the second move, so variety and growth is sparser than it once was.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crusso1993 sorry about the slow response time, but here's an FTS video of the freshwater tank. Some of the original plant varieties that grew scraggly didn't take well to maintenance trimming or the second move, so variety and growth is sparser than it once was.

It still looks quite nice to me. Actually, considering everything the tank and you have been through, I think it faired very well!

What kind of wavemaker do you have in it and what sort of flow do you push?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back