Neptune APEX Reliability (Shocking in my experience!)

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I've lost and replaced

• 3 FMM (one replaced under warranty, the others I couldn't find time so I just picked up new ones)
  • one display
  • one powerbar
  • 6 flow sensors of differing sizes. (none of these have been replaced, not worth the effort).
If I lose anything that requires a sizable investment in the future, I'm going to give GHL a try.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question while I have the audience for it:

My screen died.... is there something else I can connect/replace it with that is better? I like walking by and seeing the temp/pH and just knowing the tank is “good”. I Can’t justify spending $100 just to see the temp though, and my ink-bird or whatever is ugly and is inder the stand (and dead out of the box, or maybe it is my heater. either way, I have awful luck!)

Can I set an iPad etc up to it as the display, and have it on 24/7 if left plugged in?

I keep a display because if something goes goofy with fusion or your tablet, you can do whatever you need to do. You can also look up your password on the display, so for me, that is worth the money alone.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the Apex Classic ( bought used in 2014) and the Apex 2016 since 2017, I have had two issues with them both were the display and one was my fault. I broke the cable.
I have everything with them except the Trident, the DDR and the WAV’s.
I have COR15 as well, Run Ecotech Virtech’s and Radion’s off it also.
No issues as with those either. The Vortechs( MP10’s are Ran off it.

My two issues were resolved quickly and easily by tech support.

I don’t know if I’m just lucky or what but all of the APEX components except for the two DOS’s are in a separate cabinet from the tank stand . Maybe this is it?

I would imagine that there are many more of us out there that have had no issues, as there are people that have had issues.

I love my APEX it has saved my butt several times I’ve the the course of the past six years and I’m very happy I have it

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was being sarcastic (sort of)

That said: It's all relative and I think price/performance is important in the context of what is considered "inexpensive" vs "cheap." And Neptune's playschool design, plasticy build quality, and pathetic reliability certain make it "cheap."

Edit: it seems some people struggle with understand what an opinion is. So just to be clear, this is my opinion.

Last edited:

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also note that @Thales uses it at his work and that is a pretty big deal. I do not believe he is too worried about it. Others here use it more complicated, or advanced, than I do. Just like many use GHL. I am biased, I like Neptune and have had great success with it. So I'm being honest here when I say no, I don't worry. But I also like the product and have had good success with it.

I use it at home and at the lab. Been pretty rock solid for me for three years or more. I don't use the level sensors, but I hear tell they have fixed the issue that some were having, and I don't use the ATK, so I can't comment on that.
I don't at all think controllers remove issues, they just change the issues that you need to pay attention too.
I use APEX because it is the only one currently that does what I need it to do, and they are a US based company - I have had way too many problems trying to deal with problems with equipment made and based in other countries.
There are problems with all aquarium equipment, so when something is off it really doesn't bug me too much. And like I said before, I think the APEX stuff is surprisingly inexpensive.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I've lost and replaced

• 3 FMM (one replaced under warranty, the others I couldn't find time so I just picked up new ones)
  • one display
  • one powerbar
  • 6 flow sensors of differing sizes. (none of these have been replaced, not worth the effort).
If I lose anything that requires a sizable investment in the future, I'm going to give GHL a try.
That is horrible. I have GHL gear as well, and I don't have any issues with that hardware either - both my Apex stuff and my GHL stuff are rock solid. I have a lot more Apex stuff, easier to find used, and I find myself thinking of something new to do with it every now and then.

I do find Apex to be more intuitive to use. The GHL programming took a while for me to figure out. I have Mitras lights, so the integration with the GHL is nice.

James Tucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the biggest thing that drew me to Apex is the Fusion app. Seeing the data and what is going on without having to do all kinds of crazy firewall and NAT translations to run an external web server from my home is nice. Getting notifications on my Apple Watch is definitely killer. It feels like the only real all-in-one web accessible product out there. Everything else seems like you need to hodge-podge a bunch of stuff together and/or never leave home.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any issues with any apex equipment. Except for salinity probe. Besides that I trust my apex IMO. And if went down hill I would buy it again.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was being sarcastic (sort of)

That said: It's all relative and I think price/performance is important in the context of what is considered "inexpensive" vs "cheap." And Neptune's playschool design, plasticy build quality, and pathetic reliability certain make it "cheap."

okay I'll stop.
That is opinion stated as fact. For many many people the system is pretty dang reliable. The have soooooo many users and we really only hear from the ones that have problems, while everyone esle is often dismissed as fan boys. I could give a poop about the plasticy build - the suff gets attatched to a wall and then it stays there, it is not getting tossed around (and it makes the product less expensive) - just like I never cared about in sump skimmers being made of robust material...what are you doing to that skimmer that it need to be so robust? I also don't care about the design because it all goes in a cabinet and is hidden anyway.

U

User1

View Badges
Neptune has absolutely horrid reliably. The build quality is laughable. Price/performance is horrendous and if anyone read reviews from people WHO HAVE ACTUALLY USED MORE THAN ONE BRAND OF CONTROLLER, they would never go near Neptune.

After power-bar failures (which ended up dumping entire ATO) modules constantly going offline, pH that would shift .2 within a couple days after calibration, Flow Sensors randomly resetting to 0, constant disconnects from the web, man... the list goes on and on. At one point I had a chat support rep leave me hanging for about 20 min. I check in to see if hes still there and he says "on a support call." I was confused and asked if it was related to the issue he was helping me with... nope. He just took a support call and I sat there like an idiot for an hour.

On top of MANY MANY issues I had the last and final straw happen today. : I'm currently upgrading to GHL and decided to downgrade the 2016 to Apex Classic while I sell the other stuff. Fusion was working but the Apex Classic Dashboard wouldn't show up. So on a phone support the guy deleted some programming to resend it to basically reset the unit. HE BRICKED THE ENTIRE THING. I kid you not. And now, in typical Neptune fusion, I'm expected to pay for shipping and repair. I actually considered keeping the Classic for Radion control but I'm finally fed up. I can't believe I even considered holding on to one of their products. But now I guess I'm free. Good riddance.

This company will make you jump through hoops in order to avoid taking responsibility for their shoddy products. Of all the software/hardware companies I've worked with in the last 30+ years, even outside the hobby, Neptune has been the worst in terms of their products/support/warranty-policies/snide PR reps.

I could rant about this company and their anti-consumer behavior all day. So frustrating. There is no way they would be where they are, if they weren't such good bedfellows with BRS. Not a chance.

I like your tank. I understand you are also having a lot of issues with the product. I've not. I've also used another controller, Reef Angel. Some things it is able to do with regards to custom libraries no other controller on the market can do. I still switched to the Apex.

I != everyone obviously. My point is that I've used a Neptune product with relay technology (X10's) back in 2000. Moved to Reef Angel for about 7 years. Last year switched back to Neptune with the Apex. Having used both about the only thing I do not care for with the Neptune product line is the orange and some of the looks. I do not care for the Apex head unit look and feel and prefer the GHL model look. But that is just looks at the end of the day.

Hope GHL works better for you.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is opinion stated as fact.

Its quite clearly an opinion. And to be fair, there are a ton of Neptune fanboys in the hobby. Like I mentioned in my first comment, If you scour R2R for people who have actually used multiple brands of controllers, like Neptune and GHL, Neptune certainly isn't their top pick the vast majority of the time. I'm sure there are people in this very thread that are the exception, but doesn't change anything I said.

U

User1

View Badges
That is opinion stated as fact. For many many people the system is pretty dang reliable. The have soooooo many users and we really only hear from the ones that have problems, while everyone esle is often dismissed as fan boys. I could give a poop about the plasticy build - the suff gets attatched to a wall and then it stays there, it is not getting tossed around (and it makes the product less expensive) - just like I never cared about in sump skimmers being made of robust material...what are you doing to that skimmer that it need to be so robust? I also don't care about the design because it all goes in a cabinet and is hidden anyway.

See here - my only complaint, if I had one (as I stated above in one of my replies) was the look and feel. But as you stated it really is a moot point because it is tucked away and out of sight.

I should also add that last weekend we had a power outage in our whole neighborhood. Car wrecked, took down a power line, started a fire which took out another line. Either during the initial failure or subsequent turning on of power our entire neighborhood received more power than intended and blew a lot of our appliances out. To include my energy bar's 1 link power.

So both my Cor 15's and Trident showed missing in Fusion. Couldn't bring them back on for the life of me but since my secondary return is a Cor 20 and plugged into the wall it was working. Gave me time to assess the rest of the house and get back to the tank on Monday. Long story short the energy bar actually did what it was supposed to and trip the breaker. Everything came on more or less after the power but the 1 link and breaker seemed to be tied together and after I disconnected everything was able to reset breaker and then the Cor 15's and Trident showed up and worked!

Refrigerators (2), Dishwasher, tea kettle, toaster, Solar Inverter, AC, and Thermostat gone. Apex safe :D

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question while I have the audience for it:

My screen died.... is there something else I can connect/replace it with that is better? I like walking by and seeing the temp/pH and just knowing the tank is “good”. I Can’t justify spending $100 just to see the temp though, and my ink-bird or whatever is ugly and is inder the stand (and dead out of the box, or maybe it is my heater. either way, I have awful luck!)

Can I set an iPad etc up to it as the display, and have it on 24/7 if left plugged in?

Yes you can set an Ipad up 24/7

Ipad:Apex.JPG

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My very first APEX head unit and EB8 bar failed on me immediately after buying it new about 4 years ago...but Neptune replaced it immediately -- even cross shipped. I haven't had issues since and its still the same old Apex classic with several modules. I don't know. I'd like to get a new one for the WiFi capabilities, but Neptune QA seems to be catching up much slower since the Triton release.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an Apex classic monitoring 2 tanks. For the most part it's been solid. I've replaced pmup pumps for ATKs and sensors for both ATKs other than that it's been an asset.

Personally I have to keep reminding myself that these things run 24/7 and it's just a matter of time when they fail. If your car ran 24/7, think of the maintenance... We should have hour meters on return pumps, skimmers and power heads then we'ld see longevity of these pieces.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 70.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 51 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back