Neptune Conductivity Probe - Weird Behavior

Discussion in 'Aquarium Controllers' started by MaddyP, Sep 7, 2017.

1. MaddyP

MaddyP 'Til Reefdom Come... R2R Supporter SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Has anyone experienced something like this? It seems the probe is slowly dropping to a point them spiking back to normal. Nothing odd going on with the tank, ATO is working as expected. These spikes don't correlate with any of the other equipment operating.

#apexusers

IMG_0314.jpg

2. jonmos75

jonmos75 Well-Known Member Platinum Sponsor

Looks like micro-bubble are collecting in the prob causing the numbers to drop. When the air bubble escapes out one of the two holes on the side of the conductivity probe and once the air bubble leaves the salinity reading goes back to the normal range.

3. reefwiser

reefwiser LMAS R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Yes water bubbles collecting on the probe can cause it.

MaddyP and Salty1962 like this.
  4. httorihanzo

httorihanzo Well-Known Member

Hum.. I am wondering if putting my probe holding in my drain/skimmer section of my new build might be a bad idea because of this. It makes sense that the bubbles would skew the readings.

MaddyP likes this.
  5. reefwiser

reefwiser LMAS R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Oh yes water turbulence is a bad spot for any probe. The water is changing too much do to the flow a smooth even flow is the best.

MaddyP likes this.
  6. Salty1962

Salty1962 Wrasse and SPS Lover R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I take mine and shack it every week or when it starts recording weird. I have it on the up slope of a baffle.

MaddyP likes this.
  7. MaddyP

MaddyP 'Til Reefdom Come... R2R Supporter SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I hadn't even considered this. Probe has read within normal range for nearly two months, then this started out of nowhere.

8. zachxlutz

zachxlutz 120 Gallons of FUN R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Mine does this slowly over time too. I've found shaking the probe under water releases the bubbles and gets me back to reading accurately.

9. MaddyP

Well, I think I'll need to reconfigure mine. I'm not for having to shake it every day. :p

10. reefwiser

11. MaddyP

Ooo...I kinda like that! I think I'll incorporate this when I replumb the tank. Seems a solid idea both for maintenance and minimization of interference.

12. reefwiser

I use this kind of probe holder at work and home.:)

MaddyP likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted