Neptune Conductivity (Salinity) Probe help

HarryReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I hope youre keeping well.
I'm wondering if anyone may be able to help me!

So my Neptune salinity Probe consistently reads VERY high (40-60ppt!).

Tank is at 35ppt verified by 2 hanna salinity testers a refractometer and a hydrometer.

I understand that the neptune probe is conductivity and that it converts the reading to ppt.

I have adjusted TC value to no avail.

I have tried using auto calibration and manual calibration too.

When attempting to calibrate neptune probe I am getting sachets (official neptune) up to tank temp, ensuring no bubbles etc etc.
The probe reads the OFFICIAL SACHETS at 40+ppt. Usually around 43.

Temp probe is verified working properly.

I have also tried calibrating the probe directly in the tank water and in other non neptune calibration solution's too. The same issue still occurs.

At the moment the skimmer is off (no microbubbles) the probe is in a sump chamber prior to the skimmer anyway.

The cable is currently run outside of the cabinet and does not touch a single other cable to ensure no electrical interference.

Probe has been in the tank for a week and a couple days.

I'm stumped and can only assume that the probe is broken.
I have opened a ticket with Neptune Support but thought that I'd post in the mean time.

Any help or info would be a help!
Thanks guys,
-H

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other thing I can think of that you could try is disabling the probe, disconnecting it, rebooting the Apex, reconnecting the probe then re-enabling it again. Then recalibrate.

When I had a high reading on my salinity probe that fixed the issue for me. If this doesn't help you I'm inclined to think that there could be an issue with the probe and your best option is to have Neptune replace it.

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it and drop it straight in the trash. In all seriousness, It seems to consistently have problems for a lot of people myself included (and I've had like 3 now). Love most apex products but that probe isn't one of them

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a new Apex? I ask as I had a similar issue when I upgraded from a classic. I found a post stating to calibrate using the display, which I had from my old apex. That worked for me. I would make sure that you have the latest firmware just in case. Although that didn’t make a difference in my case. The only thing that worked for me was using the display as opposed to manual or automatic using apex.local

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it and drop it straight in the trash. In all seriousness, It seems to consistently have problems for a lot of people myself included (and I've had like 3 now). Love most apex products but that probe isn't one of them
I do not believe this is sound or fair advise ^^. I have trouble shot many many reefers problems with the Apex conductivity probe, especially if they are this far out of calibration. I've been able to stabilize almost every probe issue I have worked on, expect the ones that were mishandled and broken.
Neptune Apex doe shave fabulous equipment, I have found it's user errors in over 90% of the cases I've helped out on.

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe this is sound or fair advise ^^. I have trouble shot many many reefers problems with the Apex conductivity probe, especially if they are this far out of calibration. I've been able to stabilize almost every probe issue I have worked on, expect the ones that were mishandled and broken.
Neptune Apex doe shave fabulous equipment, I have found it's user errors in over 90% of the cases I've helped out on.
I've had 3 shipped out from apex one of which had problems right out of the box. No user error. They drift quick, they break easy and are just prone to noise. I have the full apex stack so it's not like I'm hating on them. It's the most complained about probe on this forum

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think bickering about the probe is helping HarryReefer....

OP - if you have run a calibration and it is still that far off my recommendation would be to send Neptune a support ticket using their portal. I'm sure holiday window so staffing may be low but it wouldn't hurt to get it out there now so they can respond accordingly.

It sounds like you have a backup solution to measure. As long as that is in working order you should be fine and not at risk. Outside of that you could search on a DIY reference solution and place the probe in there to see what it reads. Or wait until Neptune responds.

OP
OP
H

HarryReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other thing I can think of that you could try is disabling the probe, disconnecting it, rebooting the Apex, reconnecting the probe then re-enabling it again. Then recalibrate.

When I had a high reading on my salinity probe that fixed the issue for me. If this doesn't help you I'm inclined to think that there could be an issue with the probe and your best option is to have Neptune replace it.

Unfortunately this didn't do the trick for me. Thanks for your suggestion!

OP
OP
H

HarryReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put probe next to your ear gently shake, if you hear any rattle at all, probe is internally broken and will need replaced......Repeat, " Any Rattle at all"
Thanks.
No rattle from a gentle shake.
Only if I gently tap the probe with my finger is there a slight rattle - cause for concern?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
No rattle from a gentle shake.
Only if I gently tap the probe with my finger is there a slight rattle - cause for concern?
I would say yes, cause for concern. When I first received mine, i set up a service ticket with Neptune. We schedule a log in and phone call with tech, tech called right on time, we went through many many test and fixes. After 1 hour on the phone it was determined that the probe was bad and they sent me a new probe. Well worth the hour on the phone, it really helped me understand a lot about the workings of the apex and the probe. The tech assigned to my case was extremely knowledgeable and was thorough in diagnostics. In the end probe replaced by Neptune and I gained a lot of knowledge about the system and programming.
I advise setting up the service call and letting Neptune work their magic.

OP
OP
H

HarryReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - so I think I've worked this out...?

As it turns out, the probe needs some air in it to read correctly...or at least in my case.

After calibration, I've been gently shaking the probe upright and on each side whilst underwater to clear out any air pockets before putting it back in place. If I don't do this and I leave the air bubbles be, I get a reading the same as the hanna checkers give - give or take 0.4ppt.

I've read so much about removing any bubbles during calibration etc that I assumed this should be done when placing the probe back in the tank.

I've not seen this logged anywhere else, who knew!

Let's see if it continues to play ball.

Thanks all for your replies. 

Happy Reefing

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think bickering about the probe is helping HarryReefer....

OP - if you have run a calibration and it is still that far off my recommendation would be to send Neptune a support ticket using their portal. I'm sure holiday window so staffing may be low but it wouldn't hurt to get it out there now so they can respond accordingly.

It sounds like you have a backup solution to measure. As long as that is in working order you should be fine and not at risk. Outside of that you could search on a DIY reference solution and place the probe in there to see what it reads. Or wait until Neptune responds.
Hopefully I was not the one bickering about the probe, I was trying to point out my history with trouble shooting the Conductivity Probe and my success getting them working, and not just throwing them away. My appologies to the forum if I came across that way. Was truly just trying to help.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I was not the one bickering about the probe, I was trying to point out my history with trouble shooting the Conductivity Probe and my success getting them working, and not just throwing them away. My appologies to the forum if I came across that way. Was truly just trying to help.

No, not directed at you or anyone really. Just happens from time to time when talking about it. I think I keyed in on the throw in bin but that wasn't from you.

We are on the same page. Apologies for coming across that way.

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has this been met with resolution?

Typically, there are air bubbles trapped in your Neptune conductivity probe, and even if shaken out, they will continually develop, and hinder resolution. Further, many people shake the probe in the "normal" position, with the wiring end up, and the sensor end down. This will not work well, if you examine how the probe looks. If the conductivity value in APEX changes when you invert and very deliberately but carefully shake for several seconds, then there is a bubble issue.

That's great news, because that fix is easy—-in that case, I recommend something like this:

I have this, and it works very well. I do not use an additional pump, but instead, route some of the water coming from manifold. Additionally, my sensor is deployed inverted—it is not even fully submerged, and that makes it easy to see when enough water is flowing thru: the water comes out to tip of the probe. Since then, note how stable my readings are (the dips are from when I perform maintenance and no water is flowing thru the probe):

1672567489070.png

If you decide to purchase that specific product, I have it, and it works very well, though it's printed plastic; it is not meant for constant insertion and removal of the probe. Doing that haphazardly can lead to breaking of the little arms that hold the probe centred.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back