Neptune SKY LED

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So unlike all the speculation, I have actually owned 2 XR15 and now SKY.

Here is my tank (Waterbox 100.3.... 36x24x22) when I had 2 XR15 blue with diffusers. I had the diffusers because I could see the disco. In particular, note the sharp shadow on the right front side. Why is there a shadow? Because the lights are only along the center line of the tank. I tried mounting the lights both "left right" and "front back", no change due to the optics normalizing the spread. The issue is that the light is only so big front to back. 24" tank vs ~5.5" of light front to back.
1630627109141.png

In order to alleviate the shadows, I added LED bars. At this point I also was not happy with the amount of blue-green in the spectrum. I added the A360X for the shimmer and the violet. Note that the shadow in the image is now gone. So it took adding the LED bars to the XR15 to remove this effect. At this point the XR15 were turned down to ~50% due to all of the extra light sources.... so really absolute par does not matter so much when you start having to add extra light sources.
1630627196283.png

Eventually I was sick of the mixed controls, so I just said to heck with it and went Kessil with led bars. Great coverage and the Violet biased color that I wanted (vs the blue-green of the Radions). Even here though ,the A360x's are only at 50%.
1630627604589.png

I did not like this mix of bars.... lights... etc. Just wanted to simplify. Here it is with 1 Sky.
1630627740514.png

So the coverage in a real tank is similar to 2 XR15 plus 2 LED bars (Reef Brite XHO). That is not speculation. That is real world. You can look at all of the empty tanks in the world and try to draw conclusions, but until it is on a real tank, with real aquascape and corals, it does not really matter.

But...But.... But..... How dare I say such a thing? It has a lot to do with the science in that diffuser. One thing overlooked by many is what is stated in the original patent. When the LEDs that we use are shining, they have a very large emission zone. ~ 80-85 degrees from normal (that is if the light is shining straight down, light also shines to the side up to 80-85 deg from straight down). Any light that strikes the water to glass interface at an angle greater than 63 deg is transmitted through the glass. The diffuser plate has these round cut outs whose geometry blocks all of the direct light coming out at an angle greater than ~60 deg. The light beyond that is channeled into the acrylic and mixed into a diffuse source. The end result is that you get a combination of direct and indirect illumination. Kessils and Radions are 100% direct emission. There is light that bounces off the glass, but alot is also transmitted through the glass. The Radion diffuser helps, but it does not do as good of a job as the mixing plate. So combining a large LED array with this mixer tech results in a very uniform illumination. This is best seen in a real tank with obstructions, not in an empty tank.

Now some shimmer movies. I do not know if these will play or not... Is it pure Kessil shimmer? Absolutely not. It is more than the Radion with Diffuser... I would say similar to what I was seeing withthe 2XR15 (w diffuser) and A160.

In the end, I am not going to say that one sucks... or another sucks... but the amount of speculation resulting in misinformation is astounding. If you are going to make a claim, make sure you have the real life experience/ evidence to back it up. It really gets old to hear all of these false claims without backing... the mixing panel being reused... the soft coating getting sticky... the light being ready to fail at the first sign of moisture... the heatsink being cheap and never tested... I do not know why you are on some personal crusade to paint it in a bad light. And don't say the whole "Ohhhh marketing is claiming" Yeah... If you run 5 XR30 over a 6 ft tank at 60% each because of the coverage, you can replace that with 3 SKY. Also if you don't agree with the marketing, that does not give you the right to make stuff up and spread it like truth.

Price??? Yeah... XR30 just had another price bump before the SKY was released. So if you want to point your price anger at someone, aim right for Ecotech where the price for an XR30 + Diffuser is now $926.... $56 more.

These are all great lights, and in one situation or another each would be better. For a mixed reef like mine, you are either going to be running 1 SKY, 2 XR15 with LED bars or 2 XR30 mounted front to back. So yeah.... 1 SKY is equivalent to 2 XR30 in my real world case.

Loving the real world examples here. If I were to buy a Sky on my next build it will be because if this.

Ryan Avery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was setting up my tank today I would seriously consider the SKY. And why not? I’d be crazy not to just out of spite. I’d also not be doing my due diligence if I didn’t check out other lighting options beyond Radions as well.
In the reef builders tear down thread you said “The tacky light covering alone nixes it for me.” You seem to be talking out of both sides of your mouth.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because mounting came up here somewhere a page or two back I am using the RMS Slide for XR30 G5. It was like 20 - 25 bucks. I then found the center, drilled a hole, and using 80/20 slide door guide on 80/20 rails. Works very well, no sag, and lots of mounting options.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the reef builders tear down thread you said “The tacky light covering alone nixes it for me.” You seem to be talking out of both sides of your mouth.
By “tacky” I meant the rubber coating, which apparently isn’t as bad as was originally made out. I’ve also tempered my opinion on the SKY over the past few weeks (in part due to a range of issues with my Radion).

Suffice it to say, I may have rushed to judgement - and many of the arguments (both for and against, which I’ve all read) have slowly changed my opinion. That’s kind of the whole point though, isn’t it? To try and end up with a balanced perspective?

Ryan Avery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By “tacky” I meant the rubber coating, which apparently isn’t as bad as was originally made out. I’ve also tempered my opinion on the SKY over the past few weeks (in part due to a range of issues with my Radion).

Suffice it to say, I may have rushed to judgement - and many of the arguments (both for and against, which I’ve all read) have slowly changed my opinion. That’s kind of the whole point though, isn’t it? To try and end up with a balanced perspective?
No that’s cool, all good. Just curious!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that’s cool, all good. Just curious!
If it wasn’t for the daunting task of rewiring everything (and taking a potential hit on selling my Radions), I would probably take a chance and switch to the SKY.

I’m seriously considering just getting one SKY to run on one side of my tank so I can see an exact side-by-side comparison with the Radion.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mywifeisgunnakillme said:

Hope the plastic coating isn't sticky in a couple of years as well

More false speculation that had previously been debunked. I have owned 5+ year old MP40 with the same coating on the dry side. No issue with the coating even after getting water splash several times.

About 30 seconds in, Melev stating MP40 is "super sticky and feels disgusting on the outside":

So much for "false speculation" about the coating of the sky...

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
About 30 seconds in, Melev stating MP40 is "super sticky and feels disgusting on the outside":

So much for "false speculation" about the coating of the sky...

One data point is Mark's comment that after 7 years the MP40 coating felt sticky.

A second data point is my experience that 2 6 year old pumps did not feel sticky.

Would love to gather more data points from Vortech users.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One data point is Mark's comment that after 7 years the MP40 coating felt sticky.

A second data point is my experience that 2 6 year old pumps did not feel sticky.

The only things that would make the MP40 sticky after extended amounts of time, would he from not cleaning with a damp cloth to keep any salt spray/creep off them or you have them subjected to a hot environment.

I have kept MP10s and MP40s for almost a decade and never experienced the coating loss.

Now the Neptune Sky? If mounted low and it gets overspray on it and you don't keep it cleaned every couple of days, then I could see that happening.

I could also see that happening in the same scenario as the Vortechs. Heat or kept in a hot environment. I have no idea how hot the Sky runs, so if it is a naturally hot running fixture, then that will almost certainly not bode well for the coating.

I personally like coatings like that and have found if you take care of it, then you'll be just fine. 98% of refers never think about cleaning their equipment and that's a terrible thing for longevity especially if they are close to the water line or closed up in a canopy.

Good discussion!

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The only things that would make the MP40 sticky after extended amounts of time, would he from not cleaning with a damp cloth to keep any salt spray/creep off them or you have them subjected to a hot environment.

I have kept MP10s and MP40s for almost a decade and never experienced the coating loss.

Now the Neptune Sky? If mounted low and it gets overspray on it and you don't keep it cleaned every couple of days, then I could see that happening.

I could also see that happening in the same scenario as the Vortechs. Heat or kept in a hot environment. I have no idea how hot the Sky runs, so if it is a naturally hot running fixture, then that will almost certainly not bode well for the coating.

I personally like coatings like that and have found if you take care of it, then you'll be just fine. 98% of refers never think about cleaning their equipment and that's a terrible thing for longevity especially if they are close to the water line or closed up in a canopy.

Good discussion!
I also was wondering about the direct saltwater exposure. In my case the MP's were mounted on the left/ right or back of the tank, so rarely saw direct saltwater exposure. But if it were on the front, I think you would get more "tank maintenance" splash.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SKY's are mounted 8" above the surface, very agitated surface I might add, and there is zero build up. Little dust on the fan cover but my Kessil's had it a lot worse. Also some GSD hair but that stuff gets everywhere :) Darn dog.

Light looks and feels the same as I unboxed it back in June.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He did NOT say when it turned sticky... nice spin... he just said the pump was seven years old... sounded like it was sticky for a while and was late in replacing it.

Obviously not the best material to use for Neptune or Ecotech... mileage may very, but why use it at all?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My EcoTech Radions have lost their configuration for several days now, each time requiring a factory reset, new setup and restore from backup. At this point I’d be happy if all I had to deal with is the coating on the case, which btw - are all cranked thanks to over-torqued bolts from the factory.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
He did NOT say when it turned sticky... nice spin... he just said the pump was seven years old... sounded like it was sticky for a while and was late in replacing it.

Obviously not the best material to use for Neptune or Ecotech... mileage may very, but why use it at all?
So far it is 2 users with experience of no sticky, 1 with sticky.

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My MP40s were sticky too. 4 years old. The finish on them perishes, especially the controllers.

Ryan Doolittle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the arguing back and forth means nothing until we see tanks with dinner plate size colonies grown 100% with the Sky. Until then those of us playing it safe wait on the side lines waiting. Those willing to take the risk will do so.

Myself if I spending that type of money on a light fixture today it won't be the sky.
#1 it lacks the punch needed for deeper tanks that I like
#2 it's an unproven fixture.

Orphek, Radeon, Kessel have dozens if not hundreds of tanks that show the type of coral I am growing thrive under these 3 brands. Let's be honest, black boxes are still one of the best LED buys out there, people just believe they need to be able to control their lights from Tahiti even though they never will. I can't count the amount of Radion tanks I have seen where the owner can't get the reef link to work and it's been months since they even opened the app.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More Warranties:
AI: 1 year
Ecotech: 1 year
Kessil: 2 year
GHL: 2 year
Orphek: 1 year
Neptune: 1 year
Philips: 2 year
ATI: 1 year
Reefi: 3 year
Maxspect: 1 year
Current USA: 1 year
Reef Brite: 1 year
Red Sea: 1 year
Reef Breeders: 2 year
Aquamaxx: 1 year

1 year is the industry standard warranty.

Wow. Seems like Reefi has a pretty decent warranty compared to all the others.
And at only 1 year warranty for a high ticket item isn't good IMO.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back