Neptune Systems acquires rights to automated alkalinity monitoring invention

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Neptune is taking the chance to take it to the next level by more RD why would they NOT lock it up. Anyone else could have approached Jim and taking it on.
I agree with that but limiting it to just their controller eliminates them from a large segment of the market. Having it as an add-on for any controller system or standalone keeps them more open to more hobbyists. I would not buy their controller just to be able to get this monitor.

Culater94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, sign me up, just saved me an extra 15 minutes to my day, every day!!

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the same as you. However, it is going to take some time before this even cones to market. I give kudos to Neptune for locking in the rights. I will not under estimate Neptune's business accumen and I anticipate a separate stand alone unit that is not tied to their controller. There is still much development to bring a viable product to market and I am sure Neptune will see the benefits of addressing the various market segments.

I use a different controller and have significant dollars invested. I will not change. Further, I use a calcium reactor and while regular automated monitoring would be a godsend, I can still use my Hanna. I trust that a stand alone product will come. Look at their salinity probe, etc.

I agree with that but limiting it to just their controller eliminates them from a large segment of the market. Having it as an add-on for any controller system or standalone keeps them more open to more hobbyists. I would not buy their controller just to be able to get this monitor.

HiImSean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune is the Apple of the aquarium world. When have they not made a product to work exclusively with their controller. If you build it they will come.

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah probably will be exclusive to Apex. Looks like I'm going to buy an apex.
Neptune is the Apple of the aquarium world. When have they not made a product to work exclusively with their controller. If you build it they will come.

They have a few items that are becoming stand alone. The PMUP, Cor, and FMM are all going to be items you can run without an apex. Their probes can work with any controller. This is just a really fancy Ph probe.

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But they are not a non-profit corporation....thus if you want it ..you must buy it all from them...just good business....why would they spend the extra resources making it cross compatible....people will flock to get one and add the apex too.

Think about it....you have the only machine that will seal envelopes....you set it up to work with the Microsoft corporation mail system. They buy the rights from you....why would Microsoft pay for the system, then pay for it to work with other systems....where they make no money from....why would they care....they own it and it works already....its a waste of money to make the system cross compatible .... Microsoft is out the r and d money and makes a tiny profi off outside Microsoft sales....not good business.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just announced this morning. Here is a link to the press release and some images as well.

PRESS RELEASE: Neptune Systems acquires rights to automated alkalinity monitoring invention in their quest for the holy grail of reef keeping

1.jpg

2.jpg

Alk-Mon.jpg

Alk-Monitor-In-Fusion-TBF.png

Alk-Monitor-In-Fusion-Rich-Ross.png
Guys this is amazing stuff, thumbs up!

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your point. But would be nice to be able to work with others.
I would not worry at this point. They do not even have a marketable product right now. There is still R&D to bring it to mass production. If Neptune decide to tie it to their Apex, then they have no business sense. IMO, the proportion of Apex users to the total population of marine aquarists is low and they would forgo too much profit.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point rockworm. I think they ignore a large segment if you MUST have an apex to use. Many have no controller or thousands tied up in another and it closes those doors immediately

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point rockworm. I think they ignore a large segment if you MUST have an apex to use. Many have no controller or thousands tied up in another and it closes those doors immediately
At this point I am going to give Neptune the benefit of the doubt. They made a smart business move getting exclusive rights to Jim's creation. However, if they really want to maximize their profits, they will find a way to get it to as many people as possible. I have no problem paying for a stand alone monitor for alk. I would love one, but if Neptune ties it to their controllers, IMO, they are making a big mistake.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry at this point. They do not even have a marketable product right now. There is still R&D to bring it to mass production. If Neptune decide to tie it to their Apex, then they have no business sense. IMO, the proportion of Apex users to the total population of marine aquarists is low and they would forgo too much profit.

Yeah, but how many will purchase an Apex just to have this. This will also help sway undecided controller buyers into going with an Apex over the competition. They might have to sell a metric ton of "universal units" to make up for the loss of Apex sales and the cost of the R&D to get it to work with other controllers. I'm sure someone there will be analyzing these very questions sooner than later.

uchin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was another vendor at macna with simar system. I believe they were based out of Isreal.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back