Neptune Trident Testing results

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,
I just got my Trident replaced by Neptune. The first test was run and the results are off. I also noticed that when I use my Hanna testers I get more accurate readings. Take for instance I tested my dkh using a Hanna tester and it came out to be 9.0. My lfs tested
my dkh and it was 8.9. I used the Trident and the Trident read 7.7.
I also tested the calibration fluid with my Hanna and the dkh is not what the bottle says. So I have some questions.

1.) When do you calibrate your Trident?
2.) Do you use the calibration fluid or do you use other tests such as Hanna which seems to be more accurate

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I just got my Trident replaced by Neptune. The first test was run and the results are off. I also noticed that when I use my Hanna testers I get more accurate readings. Take for instance I tested my dkh using a Hanna tester and it came out to be 9.0. My lfs tested
I also tested the calibration fluid with my Hanna and the dkh is not what the bottle says. So I have some questions.

Per their documentation:
Before we get started with the guide, please understand not to undertake the Trident Calibration process until the Trident has been installed at the aquarium or after replacing reagents for 48-72 hours. The reason for this is to ensure all aspects of the Trident are working appropriately. The calibration process will not correct any errors the Trident may be having.

Edit: I also feel it helps getting reagents settled in and at installation location temp.
2.) Do you use the calibration fluid or do you use other tests such as Hanna which seems to be more accurate

You use the supplied calibration fluid. Please note that Neptune notes the calibration fluid is good for 8 hours after opening. I'm not here to say right or wrong but please keep this in mind. I do save mine after use. I note on the bottle date and time so I know how old it is in case I want to use it later. I also recommend keeping a bottle of Fauna Marin multi reference solution on hand. This product also works very well and has a shelf life of 6 months after opening. This is per their documentation.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so here is another question. I tested the Neptune calibration fluid and it is not what it says on the bottle.
How can i trust the read of the trident if Hanna's alk test, salifert, and my lfs Hanna test are saying the same thing but the trident is saying my alk is something different? I am trying to get the values as accurate as possible. I do know that there is a plus or minus effect but it should not be a 1.5 dkh difference. That's scary.

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here is another question. I tested the Neptune calibration fluid and it is not what it says on the bottle.
How can i trust the read of the trident if Hanna's alk test, salifert, and my lfs Hanna test are saying the same thing but the trident is saying my alk is something different? I am trying to get the values as accurate as possible. I do know that there is a plus or minus effect but it should not be a 1.5 dkh difference. That's scary.
Here's a quick fix, if you trust the other tests over the calibration fluid. If your Hanna reagent isn't expired, then test the Trident calibration fluid with the Hanna and write down that number. Then, re-calibrate the Trident with the calibration fluid solution, and when you get to the step where it asks you the parameters of your test solution, enter the alk levels that you wrote down from the Hanna checker. That will calibrate your Trident to your Hanna checker and the values won't be different moving forward.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion, and this came from both Neptune and the community, tank calibrate. Take your numbers using your 'trusted' tests and use those as the parameters that you calibrate against. With that being said, i highly doubt you will be able to get the same reading if you tested the exact same water. The Tridents are just not at the level of hanna or salifert...but the ease is why people use it.

The general on-going consensus with Tridents is stop worrying about how accurate it is...but worry more about how consistent it is. Do your testing...find out the natural delta to your trusted test and just do the mental math and live with it. This is the general community consensus and the overall theme of the three-page response that Trident sends you when you raise question about the accuracy. If you are doing automation against your levels, make sure you take the delta into account.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi,

When you initially fire up the unot, you want to calibrate firsy so that the solutions have a base to work off of

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 50 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back