Neptune trident

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFIAK it's for sale in the UK as such because there is no option for a localised version of the EB832 for them.

I figured that would be one of the reason why it is sold in the UK.

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a bit more info

IMG_4813.PNG

wheelman76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice that everyone keeps mentioning that they plan on doing less tests than the default 4x / day for alkalinity , and 2x daily for calcium and magnesium , so they can stretch the reagents to last longer. If you listen carefully to the video , Terrence says that "you can test more often if you'd like " but he doesn't say anywhere , that you can test less often to make your reagents last longer. Once they sell you the Trident , they make a lot more money selling reagents , so I'm guessing that the default setting , is going to be the minimum that you can run each test daily , with the option of running tests more frequently if you choose.

Maybe Terence can clarify this for us ?

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice that everyone keeps mentioning that they plan on doing less tests than the default 4x / day for alkalinity , and 2x daily for calcium and magnesium , so they can stretch the reagents to last longer. If you listen carefully to the video , Terrence says that "you can test more often if you'd like " but he doesn't say anywhere , that you can test less often to make your reagents last longer. Once they sell you the Trident , they make a lot more money selling reagents , so I'm guessing that the default setting , is going to be the minimum that you can run each test daily , with the option of running tests more frequently if you choose.

Maybe Terence can clarify this for us ?

There is another video where it is said you can test less frequent if you wanted to. I'll try and find it

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From asking Jim Welsh directly at MACNA he seemed to imply that 4x test per day was going to be a minimum. Has to do with the life span of the reagent. I believe he said that reagent would last around a month at that testing cycle frequency. Reagent packs (all 3) were estimated to be $40. So Alk test 4x a day and the price point for a month is $40 (~120 tests)... that's much cheaper than the $15-$20 for 25 or so tests with a Hanna and you're getting Calcium and Mag tests included in that as well.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From asking Jim Welsh directly at MACNA he seemed to imply that 4x test per day was going to be a minimum. Has to do with the life span of the reagent. I believe he said that reagent would last around a month at that testing cycle frequency. Reagent packs (all 3) were estimated to be $40. So Alk test 4x a day and the price point for a month is $40 (~120 tests)... that's much cheaper than the $15-$20 for 25 or so tests with a Hanna and you're getting Calcium and Mag tests included in that as well.

It's not "much cheaper" when you are forced to run eight tests per day. Right now with Hanna alk, Salifert Mag/Cal I might spend $80-100 in tests kits/reagents per year, and that's testing alk every second day and the others once a week. If you can't change the 4x/2x/2x dosing of the Trident that is $480 in reagents per year alone.

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I am saying is that if you compare the number of tests then the per test cost is cheaper. My thought process is that if someone is wanting to invest in an automated water tester then they would be wanting to test more frequently than every few days or weekly. 4x per day seems like a very good compromise to saving reagent and seeing usage trends in your tank.

To me the explanation of reagent potency and lifespan seemed reasonable for the 4x per day testing, I mean what use is stretching out the reagents if they begin giving false results?

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If thats true you cannot adjust the minimum testing then this thing just has bad written all over it. You need a new Apex and $40 dollars a month in reagent its just not worth it

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I would hope that all but our usual detractors could give us the benefit of doubt and assume that this is not some grand evil conspiracy. More official details will follow very soon. We see this as a game-changing technology for reefkeepers, we are very excited about what we have been able to do, and ultimately bring to the hobby.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok $20 is still $240 a year which is a decent chunk of money

I wonder how many times a day or week World Wide Coral and other coral shops test their water.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it would be $20 per month as the $40 is for 2 months worth...

That's a lot better then

Testing alk four times a day can make sense if you can get rid of the diurnal swings, but that could only happen if alk dosing was automated based on the results. Testing mag/cal twice a day is nothing but major overkill.

alexnyc22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people can afford to drive Ferrari’s and others can only afford a Honda. You ultimately get what you pay for though. If you’re willing to pay to have the luxury of having a system to test your water then you do so. If not then keep testing. R&D costs money, employees need to get paid, no matter how much it may be for the love of the hobby it’s still a business. Nobody works for free especially in today’s world.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some people can afford to drive Ferrari’s and others can only afford a Honda. You ultimately get what you pay for though. If you’re willing to pay to have the luxury of having a system to test your water then you do so. If not then keep testing. R&D costs money, employees need to get paid, no matter how much it may be for the love of the hobby it’s still a business. Nobody works for free especially in today’s world.
Honda driver here, although my son drives a BMW:). I fully agree with your statement. Not everyone will be able to afford new technology. I cannot wait for this to come out and feel that the price is reasonable. If this isn't the holy grail of reefkeeping, then I don't know what is!

alexnyc22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honda driver here, although my son drives a BMW:). I fully agree with your statement. Not everyone will be able to afford new technology. I cannot wait for this to come out and feel that the price is reasonable. If this isn't the holy grail of reefkeeping, then I don't know what is!

I meant no offense to Honda drivers btw haha

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it sounds sweet. No problem upgrading here have classic. But I think they should have shot for once a day all 3. And done something different with reagent size / cost. If the dosing were 1/4 of the times that means cost would be what roughly 7 or 8$ a month . Everyone knows 4x daily is a lot.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back