Neptune trident

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you drive a car? Are you a scuba diver? Two items off the top of my head that require regular maintenance. In the case of scuba diving, which I am, I've already invested a lot of money in my dive gear which is my life support under water. It has maintenance requirements every other year and I do not skip even if I have a year or so in which I do not use it much. It is rinsed heavily after every use. I inspect it before every dive. Warm water or cold. I do not miss a beat. Every inspection and rebuild is about 180 dollars give or take for my BC and my regulators. It is part of the hobby but looking at it I'm not a fish and need it to breath and survive underwater especially in the colder waters I dive in.

I ask you why would you treat the Trident any differently? You are using the tool to measure parameters in your reef tank and you may, if using Apex dosing pumps, ask it to dose based on a measurement. It is, therefore, a part of your reef ecosystem and it dang well better be accurate. No different than you servicing your car, scuba equipment, or any other piece of life support or safety gear. If you think it is nothing more than a money grab than honestly, shame on you.
I have seen u post this up already I agree with you 100%

But if u remember Terrance’s pitch of why the trident is better is because it doesn’t have a ph probe then he claims it’s the cheapest thing on the market blah blah blah

They hid this till the very last minute when they knew it months ago plus they still haven't released all the info have to wait a couple more months after they want u to buy it tonight to find that out

if you want to give a company that treats you like an idiot and a child your money go ahead I’m not

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was mentioned but they didn't go into detail. I thought I heard 18 - 24 months which doesn't seem bad to me based on the number of tests you will do yearly. Put it into the bigger picture and it makes sense based on how they are testing compared to other products.
300 dollars yearly on Reagent and maintaince seems good to your big picture? When u can do it for 90 with the alk monitors on the market?

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you drive a car? Are you a scuba diver? Two items off the top of my head that require regular maintenance. In the case of scuba diving, which I am, I've already invested a lot of money in my dive gear which is my life support under water. It has maintenance requirements every other year and I do not skip even if I have a year or so in which I do not use it much. It is rinsed heavily after every use. I inspect it before every dive. Warm water or cold. I do not miss a beat. Every inspection and rebuild is about 180 dollars give or take for my BC and my regulators (roughly every other year). It is part of the hobby but looking at it I'm not a fish and need it to breath and survive underwater especially in the colder waters I dive in.

I ask you why would you treat the Trident any differently? You are using the tool to measure parameters in your reef tank and you may, if using Apex dosing pumps, ask it to dose based on a measurement. It is, therefore, a part of your reef ecosystem and it dang well better be accurate. No different than you servicing your car, scuba equipment, or any other piece of life support or safety gear. If you think it is nothing more than a money grab than honestly, shame on you.

Cylinder VIP Visuals are yearly!
But I’m 100% with you!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It was mentioned but they didn't go into detail. I thought I heard 18 - 24 months which doesn't seem bad to me based on the number of tests you will do yearly. Put it into the bigger picture and it makes sense based on how they are testing compared to other products.

I just mean - was the 'maintenance fee' including 'reagents' - or are they separate. This is just me - but if this is the case I will wait to purchase until there is documentation that it helps - and it works. Who knows - I like tinkering - I might buy it anyway - but I am also unsure about the location requirements - and how it would work in Redsea sump

U

User1

View Badges
I have seen u post this up already I agree with you 100%

But if u remember Terrance’s pitch of why the trident is better is because it doesn’t have a ph probe then he claims it’s the cheapest thing on the market blah blah blah

They hid this till the very last minute when they knew it months ago plus they still haven't released all the info have to wait a couple more months after they want u to buy it tonight to find that out

if you want to give a company that treats you like an idiot and a child your money go ahead I’m not

Fair enough. I'm not sure that it is something that would have been able to come out or if the testers would have known or if it was mentioned. So I do see your side of the argument. Well, it isn't like we are arguing. I see your point and hear you. If a user would dose or make a change based on a reading though then I don't see a issue with the service requirement. I only say this based on what I watched during the stream and the number of tests it can do during a day x a year, etc. To me it makes sense.

But of course I always hold the right to be incorrect. Also looking back at what I posted please accept my apology @justingraham because it sounds like I came in a bit too hot on my reply there. A bit unacceptable of me and I really didn't mean it that way.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cylinder VIP Visuals are yearly!
But I’m 100% with you!
One reason could be (and would be) - if I was scuba diving - and all the sudden my tank said - maintenance required - that would be a problem if I had to send my tank into a company for a week during my vacation for maintenence. Note - I know its not QUITE like that - but if I programmed my alk and CA dosing based on my trident - and then had to send it in every so often - that is a big deal - its not the price per se. I would never base my dosing on my trident anyway out of caution - so its not a big deal to me - but if I was one of those people - I would ask - if you need measurements ever x hours - how can you afford to be without it for a week?
Sorry I meant to respond to @saf1

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough. I'm not sure that it is something that would have been able to come out or if the testers would have known or if it was mentioned. So I do see your side of the argument. Well, it isn't like we are arguing. I see your point and hear you. If a user would dose or make a change based on a reading though then I don't see a issue with the service requirement. I only say this based on what I watched during the stream and the number of tests it can do during a day x a year, etc. To me it makes sense.

But of course I always hold the right to be incorrect. Also looking back at what I posted please accept my apology @justingraham because it sounds like I came in a bit too hot on my reply there. A bit unacceptable of me and I really didn't mean it that way.
No worries man just relaying our points of view

I just think it’s very shady how they have handled this whole trident thing from the beginning and most people didn’t hear about the maintance and don’t understand everything and might buy it without knowing all the facts and I don’t think that is right at all either

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I am just trying to use logic here. If I said - I'm going to sell you a blood pressure monitor - and it can check your blood pressure every 5minutes - thats xxx times/day (didnt want to do the math) - but then said it requires xxx dollars of maintenance do to it - I would say - why would I want to check my blood pressure xxx times/day. The reason - because what am I going to do for the x days that my unit is not available to monitor/dose my tank. If thats not an issue - then the testing wasnt needed in the first place (just my opinion - no criticism - just seems logical)

U

User1

View Badges
300 dollars yearly on Reagent and maintaince seems good to your big picture? When u can do it for 90 with the alk monitors on the market?

Regents are a wash. It is automated testing and any other unit is going to require likewise.

Inspection / maintenance let us see how it plays out then we can both answer. There are questions like who is the source, is there a backlog, can you choose to replace vials, etc. It isn't mandatory after all so it will be up to the hobbyist to determine if it is acceptable or not. But so far what I know at face value no. Is it a surprise though? Yes, I agree with those who said wow, way to hide this or not mention it.

But until more information comes out on how it is done, frequency, cost, etc I'm neutral to its requirement and can accept why it is.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just think it’s very shady how they have handled this whole trident thing from the beginning and most people didn’t hear about the maintance and don’t understand everything and might buy it without knowing all the facts and I don’t think that is right at all either

You mean like how they waited (somewhere around a year) to finally start selling the 2016 apex head unit only. Saying the only way to get the trident would be to upgrade to the 2016 apex. Which I still don't understand why the thing couldn't be made to work with the classic apex, maybe I've missed them truly explaining why?

U

User1

View Badges
One reason could be (and would be) - if I was scuba diving - and all the sudden my tank said - maintenance required - that would be a problem if I had to send my tank into a company for a week during my vacation for maintenence. Note - I know its not QUITE like that - but if I programmed my alk and CA dosing based on my trident - and then had to send it in every so often - that is a big deal - its not the price per se. I would never base my dosing on my trident anyway out of caution - so its not a big deal to me - but if I was one of those people - I would ask - if you need measurements ever x hours - how can you afford to be without it for a week?
Sorry I meant to respond to @saf1

Yeah - I have no idea how the maintenance is even going to be handled. It is a great question that I have no idea on.

U

User1

View Badges

Yup - I agree with you. Also edited that message of mine :)

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regents are a wash. It is automated testing and any other unit is going to require likewise.

Inspection / maintenance let us see how it plays out then we can both answer. There are questions like who is the source, is there a backlog, can you choose to replace vials, etc. It isn't mandatory after all so it will be up to the hobbyist to determine if it is acceptable or not. But so far what I know at face value no. Is it a surprise though? Yes, I agree with those who said wow, way to hide this or not mention it.

But until more information comes out on how it is done, frequency, cost, etc I'm neutral to its requirement and can accept why it is.
Couple months you will get that witch is also wrong

If it stays the same backlog of results will be three months
Don’t believe it has vials
Would you let your scuba gear go if nothing was wrong? This machine has the capability of controlling your dosing

So would you agree that Neptune is trying to move into trying to get paid monthly slash yearly so they always have income? If they are going to do this with no back lash from us what’s going to stop them from making fusion a membership fee when people are singing Neptune’s praises after they have withheld valuable info from us?

And lastly are you going to buy one tonight?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean like how they waited (somewhere around a year) to finally start selling the 2016 apex head unit only. Saying the only way to get the trident would be to upgrade to the 2016 apex. Which I still don't understand why the thing couldn't be made to work with the classic apex, maybe I've missed them truly explaining why?
O they got you as well?
image.jpg

Notice I have something else they weren’t expecting

U

User1

View Badges
Couple months you will get that witch is also wrong

If it stays the same backlog of results will be three months
Don’t believe it has vials
Would you let your scuba gear go if nothing was wrong? This machine has the capability of controlling your dosing

I service my gear every two years regardless if I use it for 1 dive or 100. BC, regs, dive computer, and watch.
So would you agree that Neptune is trying to move into trying to get paid monthly slash yearly so they always have income? If they are going to do this with no back lash from us what’s going to stop them from making fusion a membership fee when people are singing Neptune’s praises after they have withheld valuable info from us?

No, I don't agree. I think there was the trident FAQ that was talking about a money grab with regents and I disagreed with that also. It is about starting with something known. We do this in software development and an automation tool. We ship a known version of every browser we support so we know what its capabilities are and we do not let the users upgrade it. I see this as no different especially if they are testing or adhering to a standard. NOTE: I did not catch how they are testing or if it meets some ansi or other scientific standard.

So no. I don't think they will generate much revenue from regents or inspection / maintenance. In fact I believe over a couple years we may see someone like BRS picking up the regents rather than Neptune. I could be totally off base here and wrong though but just my opinion.

And lastly are you going to buy one tonight?

No. I don't believe so. If I was to guess they are already sold like someone posted above even though they requested them not to be sold or placed in carts until midnight PST. Also if I was to be honest, and I am, my tank isn't ready for it. It is only a year old and there is not much coral in there. In fact I have more GHA than anything else. Fabio would be jealous of my GHA's golden green waving locks of algae :D

Do I think it is a neat product? Yes. Is this something that I would consider to buy? Yes. But my tank isn't anywhere ready for this. Seriously, it isn't.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I service my gear every two years regardless if I use it for 1 dive or 100. BC, regs, dive computer, and watch.

No, I don't agree. I think there was the trident FAQ that was talking about a money grab with regents and I disagreed with that also. It is about starting with something known. We do this in software development and an automation tool. We ship a known version of every browser we support so we know what its capabilities are and we do not let the users upgrade it. I see this as no different especially if they are testing or adhering to a standard. NOTE: I did not catch how they are testing or if it meets some ansi or other scientific standard.

So no. I don't think they will generate much revenue from regents or inspection / maintenance. In fact I believe over a couple years we may see someone like BRS picking up the regents rather than Neptune. I could be totally off base here and wrong though but just my opinion.

No. I don't believe so. If I was to guess they are already sold like someone posted above even though they requested them not to be sold or placed in carts until midnight PST. Also if I was to be honest, and I am, my tank isn't ready for it. It is only a year old and there is not much coral in there. In fact I have more GHA than anything else. Fabio would be jealous of my GHA's golden green waving locks of algae :D

Do I think it is a neat product? Yes. Is this something that I would consider to buy? Yes. But my tank isn't anywhere ready for this. Seriously, it isn't.
Good talk man I’m going to bed

Last thing am I posted this in the other thread as well

People were going to buy this anyway if it was 600-1000 dollars so why hide information like this until the last minute? What else are they hiding?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

No one knows whether they are sold out or not.... I just placed myself on the let me know when they're in stock list.

To me - the most important question is how accurate is the trident compared to the competition - and what are the operating costs - and can the competition be used with the apex? beyond that - its just 'another test kit'.

I know the rationale that Neptune has used for testing frequently the MG and CA - mostly to make sure that measurements are 'accurate' - but - IMHO they are still - not needed - basically it comes down to - which alkalinity monitor is the best/cheapest/most reliable option out there.

Personally - though I understand from a business perspective why this maintenance thing wasnt brought out earlier - from a hobbyist standpoint - I think its unacceptable. especially for those who were planning to BUY IMMEDIATELY - to dose, etc.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 192 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back