peder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
327C6A57-8B5C-4D20-9623-8AB3B8690561.jpeg
C4C2C4C6-947A-4A5D-AE66-39D68CDAF2D1.jpeg
Hehe, US copy a China pump funny! Same size but not same controller!

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably obvious but I'm missing it. What part of the MP10 wireless is wireless...? I'm comparing the wireless one to the nonwireless one and they seem to be exactly the same:confused:
The wet side of the Echotech is wireless with the wire and motor outside of tank. That is the only reason I'm considering Echotech over Jaebo. No risk of electrocution or leaching!

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to the above, the Nero has a small amount of directionality 15deg, which the MP10 doesn’t, it has as much programmability as the MP10 and the added ability to program different programs at different times.. in my opinion reliability is generally better with going with a flow reduced larger pump than a flat out small one.. if you ignore the rusting of the MP’s they are bomb proof, but This new Nero 5 will probably just as robust and AI seem to be a good company..

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
327C6A57-8B5C-4D20-9623-8AB3B8690561.jpeg
C4C2C4C6-947A-4A5D-AE66-39D68CDAF2D1.jpeg
Hehe, US copy a China pump funny! Same size but not same controller!

Oddly enough these were available before the AI and the while the blades are similar AI does look to have a better design of how the prop actually works. Nice the Chinese one can be programmed and run in reverse to self clean, I would think the AI could too.

I have had many vortech and they have suited me well. However I have knocked them off the tank while cleaning or when friends are passing by. Ideally you have them zip tied to the top of the tank so they don't fall and damage themselves on the floor or swing and hit the glass.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No as you can turn it down and they have a very wide flow pattern plus should your coral grow a lot and need more flow or if you get a larger system you have it.

On my 34g deep blue I run 2 reef breeder rp-m (like the Nero), 1 mp10 and 1 tunze DC (forget the model). All pulse mode. If I didn't have some lps I would have even more flow!
No as you can turn it down and they have a very wide flow pattern plus should your coral grow a lot and need more flow or if you get a larger system you have it.

On my 34g deep blue I run 2 reef breeder rp-m (like the Nero), 1 mp10 and 1 tunze DC (forget the model). All pulse mode. If I didn't have some lps I would have even more flow!
being that my tank is mostly lps with only a few sps scattered throughout, I wouldn't say I need super heavy flow. one pump should be just fine and I like the diversity for both the nero and mp10. the only thing the mp10 has over the nero in my opinion is that it's been around longer and people time and tie again harp on how good they are. I think it'll come down to who has the best black friday sale hahah

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wet side of the Echotech is wireless with the wire and motor outside of tank. That is the only reason I'm considering Echotech over Jaebo. No risk of electrocution or leaching!
that is a very good point. if i decide mp10 then i think wireless is the way to go!

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to the above, the Nero has a small amount of directionality 15deg, which the MP10 doesn’t, it has as much programmability as the MP10 and the added ability to program different programs at different times.. in my opinion reliability is generally better with going with a flow reduced larger pump than a flat out small one.. if you ignore the rusting of the MP’s they are bomb proof, but This new Nero 5 will probably just as robust and AI seem to be a good company..
Didn't know about the mp10s rusting. I also like that ecotech sells battery packs for their pumps. Being here in south Florida hurricanes are a relevant factor that persuades my decision on lots of my reef tanking purchasings

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't know about the mp10s rusting. I also like that ecotech sells battery packs for their pumps. Being here in south Florida hurricanes are a relevant factor that persuades my decision on lots of my reef tanking purchasings
I wasn't saying that any pump rusts. If the casing of any piece of electrical equipment in your water cracks, metals like copper will leach into your water. The Echotech MP10 has the electrical parts outside your water which prevents this possible disaster.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't saying that any pump rusts. If the casing of any piece of electrical equipment in your water cracks, metals like copper will leach into your water. The Echotech MP10 has the electrical parts outside your water which prevents this possible disaster.
ohh okay. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohh okay. Sorry for the misunderstanding!
Just to clarify about the rusting, on The MP pumps they have had issues with the magnet and shaft rusting, both are in the tank, other pumps can get this as well but for the price it shouldn’t happen, saying that I’ve got 2 lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Put it this way ...............................
They're both top pumps in quality and customer service. The MP10 has a track record, whereas the Nero is very well accepted and feature packed.
I say nero- as nero has many phases for functionality and pulses as MP1o is limited.

Dr RBG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Nero 5. Nice pump and design. Mine developed an intermittent vibration noise. If turned it off and back on the noise went away for a while. I decided to return it and try the Ecotech MP10wQD (wireless version). Should arrive soon. These pumps are too expensive not to work perfectly. We will see if it is better.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Nero 5. Nice pump and design. Mine developed an intermittent vibration noise. If turned it off and back on the noise went away for a while. I decided to return it and try the Ecotech MP10wQD (wireless version). Should arrive soon. These pumps are too expensive not to work perfectly. We will see if it is better.
please let us know which one you like better!

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to like my mp10 but I can’t seem to keep it quiet. I have the smaller icecap gyre type pump that I love. Quiet and tons of flow-I run mine at 40% and it is a ton of flow on my 32” tank. Can split in half and use only half of the unit for smaller tanks. Only downside is it is another cord\pump in the water. The Nero’s look nice but I have not tried one yet.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have an mp-10 dry side still working from 2013. That's over 5 yrs of continuous duty.

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Nero several weeks, I'm completely sold and will be dumping my MP10's. The Flow is incredible! The other issue I have with the MP10's is they won't stay on my glass, my glass is just a bit on the thick side.

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the Neros over the vortechs.

The Nero's are more of an in-between, they provide more flow than an mp10s but less than the 40

Completely silent, tiny form factor and a wider flow that has some some ability to angle

I went from mp40s, to xf250 gyres and now to 2 neros on my mixed reef

matthew17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried the neptune wavs to be able to compare them to the vortech or the nero?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back