Never seen this (snail?) Before! HUGE!

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have my tank running for almost 2.5 years now and i have never seen this one before!

Shined my cell's light at night, saw this (snail? Hopefully) about 4.5-5.5 inches long on the backwall...!

Any idea what this one is? Not even sure where it was hiding all this time!

20200822_044109.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dont quote me, but this looks like a species from Cancun/Cozumel waters which grow large known as Netted Flatworm

OP
OP
BoSalman

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, never though i would find something like that!

Looks like a polyclad flatworm to me! I would remove it.

Thanks you! I guess i would have to wait to see it again, that thing just disappeared again and i can't even find it!

Ah, you beat me to it. That's a polyclad and probably not something you want to keep around. Any issues with corals or snails disappearing?

Corals look normal. However, i did lose few trochus snails lately.. but all other inverts are fine. I'll remove it once i find that thing again!

The crazy things in our tanks are not even a speckle of what is on the ocean floor, boggles the mind

This is exactly why i like to check my DT at night.. amazes me every night how many things we have in there totally un-noticed!

OP
OP
BoSalman

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont quote me, but this looks like a species from Cancun/Cozumel waters which grow large known as Netted Flatworm

Interesting... i will def look into that, i did not expect it to be a worm for a fraction of a second tbh.. that was huge...

What could it possibly be eating?
+1 on anything missing?
Lochness reefmonster was my second guess lol

Lol, i stepped back when i saw that thing there.. only a few snails on the back of the rock work..

I use to find large polyclads on euphyllia in the 90's, but not that large. Like 50¢ piece large.

I have not added a single thing to my DT since maybe last septermber... that thing must have been hid8ng extremly well for me to miss!

OP
OP
BoSalman

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone think this could be a chiton? @BoSalman is the mystery critter hard or squishy?

By the time i went to grab the net to take it out.. it was gone! But it didn't look "hard". I thought at first that this looked like a nassarius, it is somewhat similar as in thin, but length wise it was on growth! kinda has the same movement, but i never saw this before..

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the time i went to grab the net to take it out.. it was gone! But it didn't look "hard". I thought at first that this looked like a nassarius, it is somewhat similar as in thin, but length wise it was on growth! kinda has the same movement, but i never saw this before..
Can you remove the rock and give it quick rodi dip?

OP
OP
BoSalman

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you remove the rock and give it quick rodi dip?

I will try to pin down first which rock it hid on/in.. since i saw that on the backwall.. one of the rocks has huge colonies so i hope it's the other one... turned off all the lights and its a hide and seek game now i guess...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back