New 125 setup

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Wife and I are soon going to be converting our 125 freshwater setup to salt. We'll be combining our 75 and 40 breeder setups in one tank for the most part. Our 75 salt will be moving to freshwater.

I wanted to post our current stock list and see what you experts thought of compatibility.

We have had to separate a few fish already. Our stardcki damsel and starry blenny both relentlessly attack our yellow watchman goby. So the goby is currently in our qt system. The stardcki also attacks our Gold Assessor, which was moved as well.

With that said, we're likely rehoming the starry blenny. If the stardcki in the new bigger tank will leave the goby and assessor alone, we'd like to keep it, but I feel it will always harass those. So it's likely to go as well.

We also have 2 pair of clowns in which I'll likely have to get rid of a pair as I don't think they'll work together.

So the 125 would look like this:
3 skunk cleaner shrimp
1 fire shrimp
1 pistol shrimp
1 yellow watchman goby
1 white lined combtooth blenny
1 one spot foxface
Pair of Picasso clownfish
Pair of Blue Chromis
Pair of Banggai cardinals
1 gold assessor
1 royal gramma basslet
1 mccoskers flasher wrasse
1 multi-colored lubbocks fairy wrasse
1 melanurus wrasse
1 firefish

Does this seem okay? I was hoping with a bigger tank and a new scape the stardcki would be okay, but I don't want to run the risk of it going south and trying to catch it. The starry blenny also as I said will likely always be aggressive to the goby and the small white lined blenny.

How many 20lb bags of sand should we prepare for this tank? With the goby and pistol shrimp I figure we should have at least a 3" sand bed or so?

Lighting, we currently have 3 of the new Current USA R24 Leds on the 75, and 2 on the 40. Will 3 be enough on the 125, or should I add 1 or both from the 40? We'll be doing a mixed reef, but nothing too demanding.

Last, my wife really wants to add a powder blue tang. Would it be too big for the 125, especially with our other current stock?

Thanks everyone in advance!

Last edited:

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally lose the chromis they do better in bigger groups or at least 3 or more and then you could get a powder blue tang as long as you have good filtration

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any possibility of adding the 2 pair of clowns to the tank at the same time and things be okay? I really figure not, but I hate to have to ditch a pair.

20210422_134248.jpg
20210224_160454.jpg

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any possibility of adding the 2 pair of clowns to the tank at the same time and things be okay? I really figure not, but I hate to have to ditch a pair.

20210422_134248.jpg
20210224_160454.jpg
Cool clowns, but it honestly just depends some people have had success some haven’t

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider re homing the damsel , and the 3nd pair of clowns .

I recently tried adding a 2nd pair but they were skunk clowns .
to what was already established for a pair of ocs clowns .
The skunk clowns disappeared in less than 12 hours ….
Clowns are ruthless !

the powder blue …. Knowing the risks associated with such a delicate fish I would if they can be quarantined , and acclimated to a stress free environment . He will become the bully in a short time if you can keep it from ich .
For lights .
I’m assuming the 125 is a 6’ long tank with a centre brace ?
you might want to consider adding a 4th light .
One to make it look symmetrical and 2 not to be shadowed by the brace .
There was a post here awhile ago .
suggesting each light ( led ) could cover 16”-18”tank length or square inches .

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured the damsel would need to be rehomed. It's a beautiful fish, but not one were attached to. The starry blenny will be going as well since we much prefer the yellow watchman goby.

Clowns are my favorite fish, but I'll let the usual black/orange pair go. Out Picassos were expensive and my wife is attached to them.

Thank you all for the responses so far!

Jen1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20210422_134248.jpg
20210224_160454.jpg
Luck of the draw. I set up my tank with two juvenile pairs. 2 black and 2 orange. 18 months later and i have 3 of the 4 left. One in particular took out the smallest about 8 months ago but the remaining 3 seem ok. The two biggest stay close to eachother and the third wheel just does his own thing.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luck of the draw. I set up my tank with two juvenile pairs. 2 black and 2 orange. 18 months later and i have 3 of the 4 left. One in particular took out the smallest about 8 months ago but the remaining 3 seem ok. The two biggest stay close to eachother and the third wheel just does his own thing.
As much as we all would love to add and mix with no restrictions clowns fish can be evil once a pair is established .
I believe if added together as juveniles they can live in the same tank , with only 1 mature female and male .
Buying another pair that have established male , female in another system can not go back

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got everything moved over except fish and inverts! We didn't lose a single thing over the 2 day move. Corals are already opening up more than they have in a long time. Hoping this bigger tank grows into a gorgeous reef.

We have some more room to add more fish now too!

We haven't added the fish yet as we didn't have time to cut the plastic strips in the back for jump protection.

I'll post more once fish get moved over!

20220212_200807.jpg

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife got a powder blue tang ordered. Everything is going so good in this tank!

I'm adding a Waterbox 10 or Fluval Evo13 soon since I hated selling my other clown pair

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back