New 180 Build - Mini Coop's Dream Tank

Discussion in 'Large Aquariums 180g - 399g' started by Mini Coop, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Mini Coop

Mini Coop Valuable Member Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Haha - my husband was a band director. We have been to Disney world 5 times together but every time has been with 200+ teenagers! Looking forward to taking our boys next sunner for the first time - they are 3 & 4.

2. Mini Coop

Haha! Absolutely! My co-workers at my old job used to call me coop!

Yeah - with much battling. I think it was more of a “if you can’t beat em join em” thing. But he has been supportive of the new build. And a good help!

trido likes this.
  3. Victoria M

Victoria M Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

The band trip was spectacular. It was very low drama for that many kids. Your upcoming trip is gonna be so awesome. I loved that age. My kids are now 22, 15, and 12. All boys. We might need a thread in the Lounge...

Mini Coop likes this.
  4. Fudsey

Fudsey Jack of all trades R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I was in a High School band that did the Disney World parade many moons ago. And my wife and I did Disney/Orlando as our honey moon as well, again, many moons ago :)

It looks like you are putting polystyrene around your sump to keep in heat. I did the same thing on my basement sump.

Mini Coop likes this.
  5. Mini Coop

Agreed! And all of our kids on all 5 trips were excellent! Our worst problem was sunburns and miserable children on the way home!

6. Mini Coop

The insulation was my husbands idea! I didn't like the sump against the wall, but for plumbing it was much much easier this way. the only problem is that I have to climb up on the counter to change the filter socks. lol.

7. Victoria M

Victoria M Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

lol. I might need a step ladder for my sump.
    and this thread is becoming a Disney Band thread.

8. Flippers4pups

Flippers4pups Fins up since 1993 R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Looking very good!

Mini Coop likes this.
  9. Zonly1

Zonly1 Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Looking great, congratulations! I'm getting a lot of ideas for my 210 build coming up.

Mini Coop likes this.
  10. Mini Coop

Ok - needing some input:
    IMG_4161.jpg

So - we mounted the Apex power strip to a board and put it under the table. The idea was to have it on the left by the brain, but we need to plug the ATO (which isn't in yet, but will be in the Black Trough, the heater in the trough and the return pump into the Power bar. Some concern has been raised about if there were a leak of any sort, it being under the table, but this spot hid most of the wires and allowed it to be in the middle where everything can reach. Then it plugs into the power outlet which is all the way on the left by the brain.
    IMG_4163.JPG

I am assuming if the power bar were to somehow get water in it, it would trip and shut down, but I also want to be safe and not fry my system. It would be really difficult to get a leak, but always possible. So, we thought about mounting the board with the power bar up above on the concrete wall by the window, but I don't want wires all over my walls. UGH.

Any suggestions or is it ok where it is at?? Any input is great!

PS - the outlet just above the trough is being moved UP further away from the water! :)

11. ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

I'd mount it next to the apex brain and feed the wires through holes in the board to the sump.

Keeps moisture and splashes away to protect the apex.

Reefrodeo, Zonly1 and Mini Coop like this.
  12. Mini Coop

But the cords from the trough won't reach. Do I run extension cords??

13. Zonly1

Zonly1 Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

I'd do extensions and make sure they are wrapped with at least electrical tape if there is a chance of exposure.

dansreef and Reefrodeo like this.
  14. trido

trido Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Nice set up. With all that room, I'd suggest setting up a calcium reactor and going with SPS right from the get go if that is your ultimate goal. No need to buy a bunch or corals that are going to be stuck on the rocks and you will hate once you are ready to move on.

I have a couple extension cords on my system but try to avoid them. Its one more point of failure.

15. ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Oh got it.

I built a cabinet to enclose the connections myself so they could go closer to the tank.

I'd do that and mount it on the concrete wall.

[​IMG]

Silicone grommets work to pass the cords through the cabinet keeping a majority of the moisture and virtually all splashes out.

16. Doclight

Doclight Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Right there with ya! I'm building my 180g too.. I did a 40g breeder for the sump. FYI, don't go too wide or it won't fit in the doors! I had a spare door built on the long end of my Pennisula.Since my back is closed needed to make sure stuff fits! I am not doing a refugium this go round, so if you plan for one, a 55g sump is better. Super easy to make one.. And much cheaper than "bought"...

Good luck!

2017-12-28 15.02.04.jpg

Mini Coop likes this.
  17. Reefrodeo

Reefrodeo Member

I concur with this option. Extension cords won't be a problem, but be sure to use heavier (12 gauge) grounded cords and install with drip loops at all connections, including extension connections.

Mini Coop likes this.
  18. maroun.c

maroun.c Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Article Contributor

Nice tank and great build u got there. Good quality extension cables and non amplified USB Cables worked great for me.

Mini Coop likes this.
  19. cycled123

cycled123 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Mini Coop and monkiboy like this.
  20. Mini Coop

Ok! Got a cabinet and pretty sure we have a plan for the cords! Can’t wait to update!

New problem....glass sump is draining too slow. If I Restrict drains from the tank, I will need to restrict the return and hoping to avoid that.
    Here is the set up. The water level is pretty high for the glass too. Also getting a bit of a vortex for the drain in the sump - hubby glued this all in - including the bulkhead! without a union :( So. . . . any suggestions or is all of this ok? (I took the strainer out for now to increase drainage, but not sure how good that is for it - might be fine. It is a 2" pipe with filter socks and a protein skimmer. Not much going to get stuck in it for sure.

Also looking like air bubbles here and there out of the returns. Not sure if this is normal or not. Input welcome!

Draft saved Draft deleted