OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WooHoo! This is such an exciting phase of set up. Super stressful too. Keeping an eye on things always gets hairy when a treatment has to start. But I love it!

We are Disney Freaks. We have been to Disney as a family many times. Also we went sans children for our 20th anniversary in 2016. No shame at all. I don't even hafta talk my husband into it. While planning he would say he did not want to go to an all inclusive. He wanted to go to our happy place and see the mouse. We also chaperoned the band last spring when they marched down Main Street.

Haha - my husband was a band director. We have been to Disney world 5 times together but every time has been with 200+ teenagers! Looking forward to taking our boys next sunner for the first time - they are 3 & 4.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Coop ! ! Is it all right if I call you Coop? :)

Even got the Hubby involved too?

Haha! Absolutely! My co-workers at my old job used to call me coop!

Yeah - with much battling. I think it was more of a “if you can’t beat em join em” thing. But he has been supportive of the new build. And a good help!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha - my husband was a band director. We have been to Disney world 5 times together but every time has been with 200+ teenagers! Looking forward to taking our boys next sunner for the first time - they are 3 & 4.
The band trip was spectacular. It was very low drama for that many kids. Your upcoming trip is gonna be so awesome. I loved that age. My kids are now 22, 15, and 12. All boys. We might need a thread in the Lounge...

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in a High School band that did the Disney World parade many moons ago. And my wife and I did Disney/Orlando as our honey moon as well, again, many moons ago :)

It looks like you are putting polystyrene around your sump to keep in heat. I did the same thing on my basement sump.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! And all of our kids on all 5 trips were excellent! Our worst problem was sunburns and miserable children on the way home!

The band trip was spectacular. It was very low drama for that many kids. Your upcoming trip is gonna be so awesome. I loved that age. My kids are now 22, 15, and 12. All boys. We might need a thread in the Lounge...

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in a High School band that did the Disney World parade many moons ago. And my wife and I did Disney/Orlando as our honey moon as well, again, many moons ago :)

It looks like you are putting polystyrene around your sump to keep in heat. I did the same thing on my basement sump.

The insulation was my husbands idea! I didn't like the sump against the wall, but for plumbing it was much much easier this way. the only problem is that I have to climb up on the counter to change the filter socks. lol.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The insulation was my husbands idea! I didn't like the sump against the wall, but for plumbing it was much much easier this way. the only problem is that I have to climb up on the counter to change the filter socks. lol.
lol. I might need a step ladder for my sump.
and this thread is becoming a Disney Band thread.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - needing some input:
IMG_4161.jpg

So - we mounted the Apex power strip to a board and put it under the table. The idea was to have it on the left by the brain, but we need to plug the ATO (which isn't in yet, but will be in the Black Trough, the heater in the trough and the return pump into the Power bar. Some concern has been raised about if there were a leak of any sort, it being under the table, but this spot hid most of the wires and allowed it to be in the middle where everything can reach. Then it plugs into the power outlet which is all the way on the left by the brain.
IMG_4163.JPG

I am assuming if the power bar were to somehow get water in it, it would trip and shut down, but I also want to be safe and not fry my system. It would be really difficult to get a leak, but always possible. So, we thought about mounting the board with the power bar up above on the concrete wall by the window, but I don't want wires all over my walls. UGH.

Any suggestions or is it ok where it is at?? Any input is great!

PS - the outlet just above the trough is being moved UP further away from the water! :)

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up. With all that room, I'd suggest setting up a calcium reactor and going with SPS right from the get go if that is your ultimate goal. No need to buy a bunch or corals that are going to be stuck on the rocks and you will hate once you are ready to move on.

I have a couple extension cords on my system but try to avoid them. Its one more point of failure.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the cords from the trough won't reach. Do I run extension cords??
Oh got it.

I built a cabinet to enclose the connections myself so they could go closer to the tank.

I'd do that and mount it on the concrete wall.

9791bcf43726cbfd449ac9fafb75e3eb.jpg

Silicone grommets work to pass the cords through the cabinet keeping a majority of the moisture and virtually all splashes out.

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right there with ya! I'm building my 180g too.. I did a 40g breeder for the sump. FYI, don't go too wide or it won't fit in the doors! I had a spare door built on the long end of my Pennisula.Since my back is closed needed to make sure stuff fits! I am not doing a refugium this go round, so if you plan for one, a 55g sump is better. Super easy to make one.. And much cheaper than "bought"...

Good luck!

2017-12-28 15.02.04.jpg

Reefrodeo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd mount it next to the apex brain and feed the wires through holes in the board to the sump.

Keeps moisture and splashes away to protect the apex.

I concur with this option. Extension cords won't be a problem, but be sure to use heavier (12 gauge) grounded cords and install with drip loops at all connections, including extension connections.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank and great build u got there. Good quality extension cables and non amplified USB Cables worked great for me.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok! Got a cabinet and pretty sure we have a plan for the cords! Can’t wait to update!

New problem....glass sump is draining too slow. If I Restrict drains from the tank, I will need to restrict the return and hoping to avoid that.
Here is the set up. The water level is pretty high for the glass too. Also getting a bit of a vortex for the drain in the sump - hubby glued this all in - including the bulkhead! without a union :( So. . . . any suggestions or is all of this ok? (I took the strainer out for now to increase drainage, but not sure how good that is for it - might be fine. It is a 2" pipe with filter socks and a protein skimmer. Not much going to get stuck in it for sure.

Also looking like air bubbles here and there out of the returns. Not sure if this is normal or not. Input welcome!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back