New 190L Cube Tank - Sump Design Question

Robo_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am a beginner but have had a basic reef tank two decades ago. Just getting back into the hobby and about to build a new SPS 190L set-up with a Nuvo INT 50.

I'm looking for some guidance for my sump/refugium. I hear there are some fun/good benefits to having slower flow in the refugium? As such I am planning on having a slow flow refugium, and a high flow area for the skimmer. Is this a good idea? Or should I just have the same flow rate through both the Skimmer zone and the refugium? If they are the same flow, then the benefit is that they can both be connected in line.

But if they are different flow rates, then they would need to be in separate zones, and each zone would need its own different intake (see below), which is okay with me. To do this I have designed the sump below, I like it, but I thought I should check with the experts before I make any silly rookie errors (thanks for the guidance). BTW, I'll have a contractor build the sump to order with plexiglass. Note that I plan on having a water proof light inside the refugium to grow some chaeto.

Advice is appreciated. Please do let me know if I'm making any obvious mistakes, since I'm definitely a rookie reefer.

Tank details: Planned for SPS dominated
TANK: Nuvo INT 50 (Dimensions - 23.6" x 23.6" 35.4")
LIGHTS:
(4x24W T5 total) Two 2x24W dimmable T5
1 Kessil A360X

OP
OP
Robo_Reefer

Robo_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps I put this question in the wrong place?

Maybe the Mods can help me move this into the "New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums?" forum?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome.

I too have heard that low flow rates in refugiums are beneficial. But I don't know that the benefits of having two separate flow rates for the refugium and skimmer are going to worth the trouble building.

Keep it simple and make your refugium a separate chamber through which all of your water passes.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - Welcome to R2R!

Second - Sounds a little complicated to have dual flow zones in the sump.

Third - I find that my refugium does better with more flow. Use the adjustment value on the skimmer pushing extra water through my refugium.

69CE2DFF-7C86-48CC-B582-4BD6464139D8.jpeg

OP
OP
Robo_Reefer

Robo_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the valuable replies PeterC99 and Dom. I'll take both your good advice and instead run the refugium in the same loop as the skimmer with all the water passing through it. Sounds like it will be the right choice. Cheers!

Also, it's great to finally be joining the forum and getting into reefing. I'm sure I'll have some more questions as I continue my build. I think I'll start a "cube build" thread to help me learn from others and try to avoid any more incoming rookie errors.

Back