New AI Sol Phoenix.

CONSTANTNE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the company and the products they come out with. Like someone else stated, they are a COMPANY which will come out with new superior products as time goes on. Similar to when gaming systems have price drops, it happens.

I have had absolutely no regrets with the purchase of my sol blues. I just hope that if I do upgrade my fixtures the upgrade kits dont cost an arm and a leg.

irish02bk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its close to the same dimensions from what i've read.

Mr Beardsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From seeing these units at MACNA, I would say the length and width are similar to the existing SOL models. They are shorter in height though; I would guess about 2/3 the height of the current SOLs.

They also look better than the current SOL units. They are using either a thicker or denser material around the bottom. The current SOLs show some light through the plastic, which makes them look a little cheap. The new Phoenix doesn't have this issue.

One either feature that seemed interesting was the choice of either warm white or cool white XM-L Cree LEDs. The people at the booth said both will have the 2 Royal Blue and 2 Blue LEDs per grouping, but that piking warm or cool white would be possible.

BigJohnWoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought Sol's for my tank as well. I really hope the Phoenix is not that much better or I am gonna be upset. Especially since I paid 529 bucks a piece and now they are 400. Hoping the company I bought them from will throw me a bone when I call tomorrow. This way I can maybe roll this money into the upgrade.

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought Sol's for my tank as well. I really hope the Phoenix is not that much better or I am gonna be upset. Especially since I paid 529 bucks a piece and now they are 400. Hoping the company I bought them from will throw me a bone when I call tomorrow. This way I can maybe roll this money into the upgrade.

The upgrade cost for an AI Gen I to AI Sol Blue is $250.

mobatic

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, so you're able to turn in your old AIs to get newer AI's?

No thanks! How much more powerful can it be? The Sol's really don't impress me, and I'm using 3 units.

marclwheeler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its gonna be interesting to see how all this is gonna play out... i TOTALLY SYMPETHIZE w/ all ya'll that paid and now gotta get hosed for the extra money you paid in... and now maybe for the upgrade pricing....hmmmm... this is kinda my point i was making in my first message... they as a company have been playin roulette w/ there loyal followers and now people are starting to feel dupped... maybe offer a rebate for goin towards the upgrades...IDK but if you don't deliver on something your Loyal Following my look at something else and right now there is a good few options to compete or surpass the sols/pheonix...

again this is what i was trying to point out in my previous message...

keep in mind i had the sols i was not personally blown away by them and w/ a price tag like that you should... plus for the amount of modules needed to make them work effectively... while i liked them i do feel it was over priced

Last edited:

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think it is ai fault they can't announce a fixture before macna and if people have a problem with lowering price point they should talk to who they bought them from. It is like when iPhone 4 came out they had to lower the price of the the iPhone 3GS to get rid of old stock.

I just bought and received my 4th ai week before macna do I feel stupid yes but I think of it as lessoned learned.

Anyone that bought a ai recently check with your credit card as some have buyer protection

http://www.mastercard.us/card-benefits.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irish02bk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never thought to check wiht the CC, nice info but i agree everything technology gets surpased the second you buy it... its only going to be the latest and greatest for a while til it gets surpassed.

I do not think it is ai fault they can't announce a fixture before macna and if people have a problem with lowering price point they should talk to who they bought them from. It is like when iPhone 4 came out they had to lower the price of the the iPhone 3GS to get rid of old stock.

I just bought and received my 4th ai week before macna do I feel stupid yes but I think of it as lessoned learned.

Anyone that bought a ai recently check with your credit card as some have buyer protection

Credit and Debit Card Protection | Credit and Debit Card Benefits | MasterCard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never thought to check wiht the CC, nice info but i agree everything technology gets surpased the second you buy it... its only going to be the latest and greatest for a while til it gets surpassed.

+1 but i will say this gives me another option for when i do make the switch!!

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey on AI's site!
Sept. 12, 2011

MACNA 2011
As the dust settles from MACNA 2011, and we go back to normal operations, I’d be remiss in not saying to all GIRS members; Thanks for all your hard work! We have been producing our Aqua Illumination product line for just shy of four years now, and we are proud to have been part of a great experience in our home state.

Those that attended saw our new product offering, codename ‘Phoenix.’ Utilizing our new optics systems with the Cree XP-E and XM-L series LEDs and combined with our wireless platform, Phoenix represents the pinnacle of our development.

We also showed our ‘Black Box,’ which allows users to access their lighting system via the web. The details and full feature set will be released in the coming weeks.

MACNA also brought a new pricing structure for our product line. The Nano will retail for $299, the Sol at $399, and our Phoenix will come in at $499. Wireless Modules for the Nano and Sol will be available for $49.95/each, with the Black Box coming in at $99.95.

As technology advances, changes in pricing can be expected. As with the smartphone or television market, the pricing structure can be volatile. We have kept the Sol pricing nearly the same since 2009. With the release of our new product, it was time to reduce the Sol price to differentiate the units.

We know our customers could have waited until after MACNA to purchase our product and receive this price break, so we will be offering customers who purchased the Sol between August 9th 2011 and September 9th 2011 a free Wireless Module ($49.95) per Sol they have received. This module, in conjunction with the Black Box, will unlock the full potential of the Sol. Dealers that currently have stock should contact us directly to discuss this. A rebate form to receive the free Wireless Module will be available online for submission within the week.

In an effort to decrease fluctuations in release dates, the release of our new products will be this fall. Detailed specifications and pictures will be available on our website prior to release.

C2 Development, Inc. has always committed itself to the distribution of product made in the United States. In our dedication to maintaining the highest quality standards, our latest product offerings will contain even more components that were manufactured in the U.S. In January of this year, we installed our high-throughput surface mount assembly line. Since then, we have produced all electronic assemblies in-house, ensuring we both provide the highest quality components and closely monitor performance requirements.

Rest assured, the price reduction was instated to provide the same high quality product at a more accessible price.

Here at C2, we are committed to providing our customers and saltwater aquarium hobbyists the finest product offerings.

OP
OP
96gts

96gts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wireless Modules for the Nano and Sol will be available for $49.95/each, with the Black Box coming in at $99.95.

a free Wireless Module ($49.95) per Sol they have received. .

Does that mean each Sol will need a wireless module? What is the Black Box for?

marclwheeler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that should smoke screen it a lil bit. but i personally think they could have done a lil better like extend that out for 3 months and offer a discount for the upgrade for like only 100 since that would be the difference in price from the old sol to the new one... and that price would only be for the customer that purchased in that 3 month window... just a thought...but i do think this is a start... lets see if we make enough noise if we can get them to do such...

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that mean each Sol will need a wireless module? What is the Black Box for?

Yes each sol needs a module, I believe the new ones have them built in. The black box is the new control box from how it sounds. I know that you need it (one) though in combination with the wireless module per sol.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back