New Build: Prostar V2 90

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed an order for a Prostar 90! I'm going with the black cabinet, as the tank will be located near some snake enclosures that are made from black PVC. I chose the 90 because of the low price, aluminum braced stand, and the fact that it fits perfectly into the space I have. The tank will be going into a corner, so there will be two viewable glass sides.

I'm planning for mainly soft corals, with a few LPS, gorgonians, and anemones as well. I decided on this based off of the pictures of people's soft coral dominated tanks and because I like to emulate nature in my tanks. Nature doesn't like picturesque gardens of Acropora and torches, so I'll be avoiding them. I may also add a few hardy SPS to fill in spaces high on the rock, and zoanthid/mushroom islands around the base of the rockwork. My ultimate coral goal is to keep the tank hardy and relatively low maintenance. Of course, this is just a plan, and plans sometimes fall apart.

Equipment: I'm hoping to keep the tank low maintenance, so I am planning to have some good nutrient reduction. While not a budget build, I also want to keep prices somewhat low, so I chose equipment that won't break the bank but still functions well. This is what I came up with.

1x Curve 5 Elite Protein Skimmer
2x Noopysche K7 V3
1x 300w THH Deluxe Aquarium Heater Bundle
1x Sicce Syncra Silent 4.0 Pump
1x HOG3 Hang-On-Glass UAS Upflow Algae Scrubber
1x Bubble Magus Dosing Pump BM-T01
2x Nero 3 Powerhead
2x Nero 3 Anemone Guard

I'm sure I forgot a few things. I haven't ordered any of this yet, so the plan may change if any of this equipment can't be found or a better alternative comes up.

As far as stocking goes, I'm planning on having a rather high bioload, with about 10 fish. That's why I chose an algae scrubber, to keep nutrients from ever getting too high.

2x Bicinctus Clownfish
1x Royal Gramma
1x Green Chromis
1x Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
1x Lubbock’s Wrasse
1x Pintail Fairy Wrasse
1x Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse
1x Blue Flasher Wrasse
1x Royal Flasher Wrasse

I really like wrasses, so I'm thinking that I'll try six of them. I want to keep everything somewhat peaceful, and I can't see any huge issues here. As many fish as possible will be captive bred.

That wraps up what I have so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing this tank come to life.

1660217933795.png

(not my picture)

Last edited:

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed an order for a Prostar 90! I'm going with the black cabinet, as the tank will be located near some snake enclosures that are made from black PVC. I chose the 90 because of the low price, aluminum braced stand, and the fact that it fits perfectly into the space I have. The tank will be going into a corner, so there will be two viewable glass sides.

I'm planning for mainly soft corals, with a few LPS, gorgonians, and anemones as well. I decided on this based off of the pictures of people's soft coral dominated tanks and because natural reefs have as many softies as they have stoney corals. I may also add a few hardy SPS to fill in spaces high on the rock, and zoanthid/mushroom islands around the base of the rockwork. My ultimate coral goal is to keep the tank hardy and relatively low maintenance. Of course, this is just a plan, and plans sometimes fall apart.

Equipment: I'm hoping to keep the tank low maintenance, so I am planning to have some good nutrient reduction. While not a budget build, I also want to keep prices somewhat low, so I chose equipment that won't break the bank but still functions well. This is what I came up with.

1x Curve 5 Elite Protein Skimmer
2x Noopysche K7 V3
1x 300w THH Deluxe Aquarium Heater Bundle
1x Sicce Syncra Silent 4.0 Pump
1x HOG3 Hang-On-Glass UAS Upflow Algae Scrubber
1x Bubble Magus Dosing Pump BM-T01
2x Nero 3 Powerhead
2x Nero 3 Anemone Guard

I'm sure I forgot a few things. I haven't ordered any of this yet, so the plan may change if any of this equipment can't be found or a better alternative comes up.

As far as stocking goes, I'm planning on having a rather high bioload, with about 10 fish. That's why I chose an algae scrubber, to keep nutrients from ever getting too high.

1x Lawnmower Blenny
1x Tomini Tang
1x Mandarin Dragonet
1x Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse
1x Springeri Damselfish
1x Yellow Headed Jawfish
2x Bicinctus Clownfish
1x Royal Gramma
1x Sunburst Anthias

The tang will either be swapped out for another once it outgrows the tank, or will be replaced by another wrasse or a swallowtail angelfish. As many fish as possible will be captive bred.

That wraps up what I have so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing this tank come to life.

1660217933795.png

(not my picture)
I have the 120, 4x2x2, but wish I would have went with the 150: 5x2x25”.
I didn’t because i didn’t want to crap it into the office it’s sin but then my wife decided to move a couch out which made more room…
Wouls have liked more cabinet space and more space for livestock.
Live and learn, again

Attachments

• 548C8B14-8D7E-438D-B795-08BBCE0AD6E6.jpeg
    548C8B14-8D7E-438D-B795-08BBCE0AD6E6.jpeg
    272.4 KB · Views: 167
OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 120, 4x2x2, but wish I would have went with the 150: 5x2x25”.
I didn’t because i didn’t want to crap it into the office it’s sin but then my wife decided to move a couch out which made more room…
Wouls have liked more cabinet space and more space for livestock.
Live and learn, again
The place where my tank will be is only 44"x22", so I have to make do with a smaller tank. Besides, I have only had a nano in the past, so a 65 gallon seems perfect to me. Big enough to keep parameters stable and allow for a good amount of stock, but small enough for easy maintenance. Nice tank! Is that a Leng Sy cap on the left?

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The place where my tank will be is only 44"x22", so I have to make do with a smaller tank. Besides, I have only had a nano in the past, so a 65 gallon seems perfect to me. Big enough to keep parameters stable and allow for a good amount of stock, but small enough for easy maintenance. Nice tank! Is that a Leng Sy cap on the left?
The far left Cap?
not sure of the name had it for years, it doesn’t get a purple rim but grows spires off the main body.

If I not mistake the Leng Sy cap is a darker green

Attachments

• 950F5645-5A69-4207-AC91-A30D9B2C37F0.jpeg
    950F5645-5A69-4207-AC91-A30D9B2C37F0.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 176
OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Utility sink is installed, so I can make RO/DI and do water changes more easily. Also covered some exposed insulation above where the tank will be. Picked up sand, salt, and heater. I'm going with 40lbs of Special Grade, and 20lbs of Fiji pink. Using IO reef crystals.

Thinking about doing only anemones and soft coral so I can keep a dwarf angel... Thoughts?

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquarium still isn't here... I was hoping to add the first fish on Halloween when I made my "roadmap" a few months ago, but it seems like I'm at least a few months out from that. When I contact them, they seem to be just as confused as I am. For anyone who has ordered a Prostar from Aquatic Sealife, how long did it take to get to you?

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: The tank has shipped! Hopefully it will only be a few more weeks, but I don't think I can count on it. Otherwise, nothing new. I'm looking at the Maxspect Razor X R5 150w instead of the Noopsyches. I like the idea of having just one light.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update #7: Ordered lights, RODI system, ATO, test kit, and filter media from BRS. Settled on a pair of AI Prime 16HDs. The tank is also supposed to arrive on Monday the 14th, which is a pleasant surprise. I'm hoping to get water in by New Year's, and the first few fish in by Jan. 30th. On a different note, I'm only expecting this tank to be up continuously for the next three years or so for various reasons. Makes me wonder if a tang wouldn't outgrow it in those three years...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update #8:

PXL_20221113_212636154.jpg

I placed a rubber mat down where the tank will be. Carpet + saltwater = disaster, so I'm glad to have gotten this in place before the tank arrives tomorrow. The mat might be a little too big, but it's better than the carpet getting ruined.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update #9: It's here!!!

1668770408588.png

It arrived at about 4:00 pm on Monday, but it took me a couple of days to move it and get the plumbing done. I'm still not exactly sure what I'm doing, but hopefully I did it right! I'm super impressed with the quality. The stand is great, the tank is great, and the sump is great. The tank is much bigger than I'd visualized, so I'm glad I didn't get a larger one. I might just add that tang. I've only had to make two modifications, those being removing the ATO and replacing the metal hose clamps with zip ties.

Pros:
. The stand is very sturdy. I think that I could put a truck on it, and it would hold up fine.
. The glass is of good quality, and there are no scratches.
. All the seams are in good order.
. The lid is sturdy and fits well.
. The plumbing is easy to figure out.
. The sump reflects the quality of the tank.

Cons:
. No leveling mat. The tank is level, so I'm not too worried, but some people might want to cut one out for themselves.
. Metal hose clamps in the plumbing could corrode.
. The ATO reservoir is too small. I did get a Tunze, so not an issue for me.

Later today a whole bunch of equipment is arriving (see update #7), and I'll hopefully begin making water over the weekend. Maybe I'll even get it filled before New Years.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update #10: Water!

1669412918362.png

Been working on this for the past few days. 96 gallons of saltwater have been made. I've only tested salinity on one of the barrels, but it's at 1.026. Maybe a bit higher than I was going for, but it works. I used 130 grams of salt per gallon, as it is easier to weigh it out that way than to measure out 16 cups of salt. I might need to move my goal for New Years back a little, as I only need rock now before I can start filling the tank. I think that I'll be using KP rock, but I might still use TBSaltwater. I might also use one of the Art Reef Rock structures, and then add 10/20 lbs of rock to seed it. Using exclusively dry rock and NSA seems like a bad idea to me, but maybe it would work if I used some live rock as well? I don't usually like NSA for fish, but Art Reef Rocks seem to have habitat build into them. Thoughts?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love KP Aquatics. I have ordered from them 2Xs and was extremely pleased both times. I have never ordered their live rock because my tank already has a lot of rock, but I think about removing some of my rock and ordering some from them to replenish BioLife. My rock is all 20 years old.

My tank is a softie predominant tank with some LPS and one or two hardy SPS and I love the ease of maintenance. Since my tank has a basement fuge, I don't even use a skimmer anymore and my water changes are 5 gallons a week for a 56 gallon display w/ 30 gallon fuge. It's a simple tank but it's my favorite of the tanks I have done.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love KP Aquatics. I have ordered from them 2Xs and was extremely pleased both times. I have never ordered their live rock because my tank already has a lot of rock, but I think about removing some of my rock and ordering some from them to replenish BioLife. My rock is all 20 years old.

My tank is a softie predominant tank with some LPS and one or two hardy SPS and I love the ease of maintenance. Since my tank has a basement fuge, I don't even use a skimmer anymore and my water changes are 5 gallons a week for a 56 gallon display w/ 30 gallon fuge. It's a simple tank but it's my favorite of the tanks I have done.

Such a nice aquarium! I love natural tanks. SPS gardens and collections of torches have their place, but I think that tanks like yours look much more like a slice of the ocean. The plating sponges are awesome. Are they difficult to care for in your experience?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a nice aquarium! I love natural tanks. SPS gardens and collections of torches have their place, but I think that tanks like yours look much more like a slice of the ocean. The plating sponges are awesome. Are they difficult to care for in your experience?
Thanks Anemone_Fanatic! That is so kind of you. Yes, I too like a tank that looks natural and a real slice of the ocean.
The plating sponges are a purple synthetic sponge and are super easy to keep. In fact, they spread and grow fast and I am constantly removing some of them from the tank. They are nice however and I would be happy to send you some if you are interested.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update #11: Let there be light!

1669482799920.png

Got the lights working today. The app was a little difficult to get started, but it works now. The lights make a bit of noise, but it isn't a big issue for me. I plan to order rock soon, and being filling it up within a month or so. I know the glass is dirty, I will clean it before filling the tank.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Anemone_Fanatic! That is so kind of you. Yes, I too like a tank that looks natural and a real slice of the ocean.
The plating sponges are a purple synthetic sponge and are super easy to keep. In fact, they spread and grow fast and I am constantly removing some of them from the tank. They are nice however and I would be happy to send you some if you are interested.

I agree! Love the natural look of the tank. Such a beautiful slice of the ocean you have there.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back