New Build: Prostar V2 90

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do quarantine my orders from them however before adding them to systems with fish, to make sure I'm not introducing any fish diseases.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, they started talking about this exact topic in the reef beef discord after this was posted. Did someone on here post there about it?

Ben Johnson shared that he's never really had a problem with emerald crabs going after coral, but Rich Ross and other members of the discord did share experiences they had with emerald crabs going after coral.

Something to keep in mind.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized that I never plugged the heater in... That's probably why I had so much die-off. The yellow sponges seem to love it the cold temps, though. I'd say they've already increased in number and size.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, planning my softy tank upgrade with similar dimensions. Looking at both KP and Unique Coral Australian rock for extra biodiversity. Looking forward to your progress.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, planning my softy tank upgrade with similar dimensions. Looking at both KP and Unique Coral Australian rock for extra biodiversity. Looking forward to your progress.

Thanks! I really like the dimensions of the tank. Any smaller would seem cramped, and bigger seems excessive. I feel like I have a lot of room for aquascaping, fish, and coral placement. I also recommend KP rock. While the Aussie rock seems to have better shapes, both should have similar biodiversity and the KP stuff is cheaper.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update #14: Aquascaped!

1670078751932.png

Here is what I have so far. The modular structure will overhang the current pile, with the base in the opposite corner. On a different and less happy subject, the tank is making a lot of noise. There are also many micro bubbles from the drain hose. I will say that while I am happy with the tank, the "spiral silencer" isn't working all that well. Maybe if I fill the tank up a little more, it will be better?

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested ammonia for the first time. Results came in at about 0.1 PPM, so I think that the cycle is going on at a good pace. I don't think that I'll add anything until the rest of the rock comes in, but it's still good to know that the cycle is coming along.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting some diatoms! I don't like diatoms, but I'll take it as a sign that the cycle is wrapping up, and within only a few days of having water. On a different note, I found some orange and white colonial tunicates today, as well as a few feather-duster worms. Most of the light pink and orange coralline algae has died off, but the purple and red stuff remains. I also found two astrea snails. I didn't originally want astreas because I don't need to be flipping over snails every few hours, but these haven't fallen yet, and they seem to be good cleaners. I might need to get a few more. Overall, I really am happy with the biodiversity of the rock. I don't think that I could get this sort of life in a million bottles of bacteria. If you're setting up a tank, do yourself a favor and get a few pounds of real live rock. I don't regret it a bit.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update # 15: All the rock is here!

1670712099402.png

The scape arrived last Wednesday, but I waited till today to get it in the tank. Overall, I like the rock. It doesn't have a tone of micro-porosity like you see on natural rock from the ocean, but it was still very lightweight. In order to get it in, I drained about 10 or 15 gallons into a brute can. As it turns out, I had only needed to take out about a half-gallon to account for displacement. I regretted taking so much out because it turns out that siphons don't work uphill, so I needed to put those 14.5 gallons back by hand. Whoops. As can be seen in the picture, I do have a good bit of algae now. I think that most of it is GHA or something similar, because it has visible strands. As the ugly phase gets going, I can also see a few macroalgaes popping up. There are a few tiny mermaid's fans, as well as some sort of red-branching stuff. Almost makes me sad to add CUC, because there is some interesting stuff in here that won't last long. Speaking of CUC, I'm going to get an order soon. I'm thinking that I'll do

12x Trochus snails
10x Cerith Snails
2x Conch
and 6x Emerald crabs.

Does this sound like too much? I want to get some critters in here, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to add so many at once, or even any before fish. The two astreas seem to be doing OK. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia: 0.05ppm - 0.1ppm.
Nitrate: 10ppm - 15 ppm.

I think that my cycle is just about done. Nitrates are present, and the ammonia is at a non-dangerous level. I think that I might add something soon. Always exciting when the cycle comes to a close.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update #16:

I'm officially declaring the cycle done. Ammonia is negligible, and nitrates are present. The coralline has stopped dying off, and there is a nice crop of algae growing. Only one problem.

Bryopsis.

The algae that is growing is very wavy and delicate like hair algae, but there are also distinct "feathers" visible. This is a horrible picture, but maybe it'll help to give a general idea about the growth form...

1671241520050.png

The feathers make me think B. plumosa, but I'm not entirely sure. It covers large patches of sand and rock and even the glass, and seems to grow from small bases which eventually turn into a mat. When the "feathers" get long enough, the flow picks up a piece and spreads it around the tank, ensuring that it can't be isolated. My plan of action is to

a) Try emerald crabs. I don't think that six will cut it as originally planned, so I'll double that amount.
b) Dose some reef flux. I'd like to keep chemicals out of the tank if possible, but it seems like I might need them.
c) Try a scribbled rabbitfish or fox face. I understand that this fish is generally thought of as being too big for my tank, but it will be the only large algae eater in there, and there is a fair amount of flow. I think it'll be ok.

I hope that I can dispose of this menace, but from what I'm reading, it's worse than bubble algae. Does anyone have experience getting rid of the stuff? Thanks!

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update #17: CUC

I picked up a few invertebrates today. 5 emerald crabs, 12 trochus snails, and a pair of skunk cleaner shrimp. Everything is doing well, and the emeralds are already chowing down on the bryopsis. Good sign!

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying some more natural lighting on the tank today... I sort of like this look. Corals won't glow under this lighting, but it looks much more accurate to a natural shallow reef to me. Ignore the micro bubbles, I just got the powerhead working and it's still breaking in. Algae has been on the decline, manual removal does wonders.

1672535939434.png

Cleaner shrimp doing well. I loving having a pair, I can see much more personality than with a single specimen.

1672536152854.png

I have seen a small eunice worm crawling about, but I'm leaving it as it is. I can remove it later, and for now, it's just another little critter and isn't doing any harm.

robdallimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! I have the same tank, just a few weeks behind you. Getting some diatoms now. How do you like the Gyre 4k? Do you have just one, and does it give sufficient flow through the tank?

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! I have the same tank, just a few weeks behind you. Getting some diatoms now. How do you like the Gyre 4k? Do you have just one, and does it give sufficient flow through the tank?

Thanks! I like the 4k. It makes a lot of flow, and I can see from the bubbles that it can easily push water across the whole tank. I will say that the app is difficult to manage. I just barely figured it out, and I'm not sure I could do it again! It also makes loads of micro bubbles, but that seems to be common with most powerheads and should die down eventually. I think that I would buy it again, though. Welcome to R2R, BTW!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back