New clam position

Cjosic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I got a new maxima clam yesterday. I placed him up top on the live rock, up right a little angled. Unfortunately I didn’t take a picture. Overnight he moved a little bit on the rock work and is on his side. I also noticed behind him what looks like threads? Spider web looking thing from him to the rock. The problem I see is his mantle is only coming out a little bit and hasn’t opened up much like yesterday. The clam still reacts to shadows quick with what little he has out.

72BEDF80-A666-441A-AED5-E6D68574E3F7.jpeg DD8011B7-B33B-446C-A631-75757769C8BC.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

I got a new maxima clam yesterday. I placed him up top on the live rock, up right a little angled. Unfortunately I didn’t take a picture. Overnight he moved a little bit on the rock work and is on his side. I also noticed behind him what looks like threads? Spider web looking thing from him to the rock. The problem I see is his mantle is only coming out a little bit and hasn’t opened up much like yesterday. The clam still reacts to shadows quick with what little he has out.

72BEDF80-A666-441A-AED5-E6D68574E3F7.jpeg DD8011B7-B33B-446C-A631-75757769C8BC.jpeg
Get it down to the sand. Plopped between a rock is unfavorable to them
They do best in some type of a crater or rock cavity where they can be set upright sorta pointed towards light

OP
OP
Cjosic

Cjosic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 clowns, tail spot blenny, peppermint shrimp, 4 blue leg hermits , 2 astrea snails, 2 nassarious idk if I spelled that right

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cjosic

Cjosic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my girl move it down to the sand bed on a flat rock. She said she pulled it out slow but needed a bit of force to get it off the rock. Left behind some webbing on the rock.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have learned from reef to reef is that any clam, coral that requires photosynthesis as Thier main source of growth should be placed low/ sand bed and move upwards month to month if required, if your clam moved it has told you it is unhappy in the position you placed it, although it's pleasing to the eye to watch but this guy moved for a reason.
let it move to a more desirable position for it to grow, I have a bubbletip anemone that has found its place in a dark cave/ shadow,
Let them move

OP
OP
Cjosic

Cjosic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp might be picking on it.

It sounds like it had attached it's byssal threads, she might have caused it harm by pulling it off the rock
I have seen the peppermint shrimp on its shell a couple times. I might have to put him in the qt tank.

OP
OP
Cjosic

Cjosic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have learned from reef to reef is that any clam, coral that requires photosynthesis as Thier main source of growth should be placed low/ sand bed and move upwards month to month if required, if your clam moved it has told you it is unhappy in the position you placed it, although it's pleasing to the eye to watch but this guy moved for a reason.
let it move to a more desirable position for it to grow, I have a bubbletip anemone that has found its place in a dark cave/ shadow,
Let them move
I understand I have a BTA who moved around and found it’s spot. The clam tho was up right when I first placed and overnight I found it like the photos on its side with his threads on the rock so I wasn’t sure if he wanted to be on the side like that or if something happened and he shouldn’t be in that position.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the clam is putting out byssus threads, they are probably comfortable with their placement. I would have left the clam where it is, and give it time to orientated itself. Maxima clams are rock dwelling, and they thrive under ridiculous amount of light. Therefore a place on the rocks is more ideal for them.

When you place the clam in some crevice, make sure there is enough space for the clam to open fully, even after it grows to several times of this size.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay, leave the clam in the rocks. Maximas live in rocks and are a "boring" species like crocea. The threads are a good sign (byssal threads) as it's trying to get a firm grip in place. They will orient themselves according to lighting and flow. Just let it settle and you'll be fine. Maximas and croceas are not sand clams unless you provide large rubble or a nice piece of rock for them to dig in to.
My second piece of advice is to buy James Fatherree's book on clams (also Daniel Knop's book). You can get them both used on Amazon for a fraction of their normal price. Maximas and croceas need to protect their foot (byssal gland/opening), so they'll never be comfortable on the sand. Taking months to move a clam to higher light is slowly starving the clam to death. They need strong light and the faster that you can give that to them, the better. All common clams that are found in the hobby come from shallow waters, while some can exist in deeper water (gigas, derasa, squamosa), they all can handle high light. Clams have the ability to move their mantle towards the light and they can also move(redirect) the zooxanthellae within their mantle to maximize the input of light. Constantly moving a clam is bad, so leave it be in your rocks and enjoy the view, especially from above.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll also add, that clams in the wild are often found not perfectly straight towards the surface of the water/light. Where it's sitting in your rocks looks good to me. Especially the crevice that it's sitting in. Buy the books asap! Sorry, I wish people would just buy books more instead of using the interwebs for info, it's usually solid foundational information that's always at your fingertips. Enjoy your clam, it looks nice!

OP
OP
Cjosic

Cjosic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update this little dude is a pain lol.
I have tried multiple spots direction and flow up top and middle of the tank but he refuses. The clam seems to like being in the sand…. I placed a small circle piece of epoxy under him in the sand and he attached quick. He has been in that spot for a about a week. I’m just worried he isn’t getting enough light.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At that size you should see some new growth on the shell. If you don't, then it's not getting enough light. Whatever you do, find a spot and leave it. They will adjust, but constantly moving it will stress them out.
When you say refuses, what are the signs? What is the clam doing?

OP
OP
Cjosic

Cjosic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At that size you should see some new growth on the shell. If you don't, then it's not getting enough light. Whatever you do, find a spot and leave it. They will adjust, but constantly moving it will stress them out.
When you say refuses, what are the signs? What is the clam doing?
I get that and by refuses the clam jumps off. He once jumped and attached to a rock lower in the tank but he was sideways lol. I moved the rock up after a couple days and he detached and jumped. He opens up fine and closes quick everything looks good. I have another bigger maxima up top but he is chill doesn’t move and attached quick.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not familiar with the light. Clams like a little no3. Check your calcium and alk and keep them in your desired range.post some pics to keep updated on the clams progression.

Back