New Clownfish Behavior

KaliReeFiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last Thursday I recieved a MochaVinci and a Phantom from Cultivated Reef. Two days ago I realized my Mocha had dug out the sand in front of the aquarium and he lays there a lot while the Phantom hovers over him. He seems like he is breathing pretty heavy so I turned down my MP10 thinking maybe theres to much flow but that isnt it. If I walk by the tank he jumps up and is swinming fine nothing erratic and he eats the twice a day I feed them no problem. It did take them about 4 or 5 days to eat but now they seem to be eating fine. My salinity is at 1.025, Ammonia and Nitrite both at 0 temp is 77. Tank is newly cycled they are the first piece of livestock. Any thoughts?

25103AB4-2B2E-410E-88BC-D8625583E034.jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just monitor them for awhile. Clowns have weird behavior patterns. Mine act similarly with the male staying in a corner and clearing out the sand while the larger female roams around that part of the tank. She typically lays eggs on the side wall and the Male guards them.

If you see signs of distress, reduced eating, spots, or something that looks like a whitish film sloughing off them, then you need to get concerned. If that's the case, you'll need a hospital tank to treat them in quickly.

John Robbins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, clown fish are called clown fish for a reason, their behavior sometimes seems odd.

Seeing as how you just added the clown fish they are quite probably sorting out who is 'in charge'. This is not uncommon at all with clown fish. Clown fish will typically sort out somewhat of a hierarchy. The dominant fish is the female. The photo makes it look like one of the clowns is keeping the other one pinned to the bottom, this may be their way of sorting out who is dominant. They probably break this behavior when they see you because they associate you with being fed. Give them a little time, keep an eye on them, and they will probably sort it out.

You're doing great!

-Cheers

OP
OP
KaliReeFiend

KaliReeFiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just monitor them for awhile. Clowns have weird behavior patterns. Mine act similarly with the male staying in a corner and clearing out the sand while the larger female roams around that part of the tank. She typically lays eggs on the side wall and the Male guards them.

If you see signs of distress, reduced eating, spots, or something that looks like a whitish film sloughing off them, then you need to get concerned. If that's the case, you'll need a hospital tank to treat them in quickly.
Thank you I appreciate the feedback. Its hard to tell when he’s moving around in the water column but seems like I cant even see his gills moving but when he’s in the sand is when I notice them. None of those signs you mentioned so we’ll keep trucking along.

OP
OP
KaliReeFiend

KaliReeFiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, clown fish are called clown fish for a reason, their behavior sometimes seems odd.

Seeing as how you just added the clown fish they are quite probably sorting out who is 'in charge'. This is not uncommon at all with clown fish. Clown fish will typically sort out somewhat of a hierarchy. The dominant fish is the female. The photo makes it look like one of the clowns is keeping the other one pinned to the bottom, this may be their way of sorting out who is dominant. They probably break this behavior when they see you because they associate you with being fed. Give them a little time, keep an eye on them, and they will probably sort it out.

You're doing great!

-Cheers
Thank you for the feedback John. I have read about their behavior it was the breathing that had me worried. Cant notice it while he’s swimming only when he’s at the bottom but him jumping up and swimming when I’m near and eating good gives me sign of hope. Thanks again

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They really are beautiful. I don't care what anyone says about clowns, they add a lot of eye candy. Btw, if you ever see a clown swimming vertically, upside down, or backwards when they first wake up, don't freak out. Imo they are slow to wake and do some crazy things.

OP
OP
KaliReeFiend

KaliReeFiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really are beautiful. I don't care what anyone says about clowns, they add a lot of eye candy. Btw, if you ever see a clown swimming vertically, upside down, or backwards when they first wake up, don't freak out. Imo they are slow to wake and do some crazy things.
Lol thanks for that tip because that would freak me out and we all know what Google would say as soon as I type that in.

Back