New Cycled Tank - Dead Fish...Help!

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

I recently began cycling my new Red Sea Reefer 350 with live sand, dry rock, bio spira, and did a fishless cycle using Dr. Tim's ammonia. After cycling for about a week and half, my ammonia and nitrite went to zero. I dosed the appropriate amount of ammonia nightly and the after 24 hours the ammonia and nitrite were both at zero. I went to my LFS and picked up two chromis and after about four days, they both died. Both of them were eating the first couple days and then began eating less and less. The two chromis were on the larger size which I hoped would better my chances. This left my puzzled. I also tossed in a couple snails to make sure the tank was indeed cycled, and the snails are still roaming around the tank. Again, I'm still very puzzled and confused. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

I recently began cycling my new Red Sea Reefer 350 with live sand, dry rock, bio spira, and did a fishless cycle using Dr. Tim's ammonia. After cycling for about a week and half, my ammonia and nitrite went to zero. I dosed the appropriate amount of ammonia nightly and the after 24 hours the ammonia and nitrite were both at zero. I went to my LFS and picked up two chromis and after about four days, they both died. Both of them were eating the first couple days and then began eating less and less. The two chromis were on the larger size which I hoped would better my chances. This left my puzzled. I also tossed in a couple snails to make sure the tank was indeed cycled, and the snails are still roaming around the tank. Again, I'm still very puzzled and confused. Any recommendations? Thanks!
I believe that the Dr. Tim's product was specifically made to fish cycle. I know that you added ammonia. I did this in my 70 gal and it worked fine. Put a fish in the same day and he is doing great. It's been weeks. I have even added some of my corals in the tank. The other day, I put some damsels in and they did the same thing that yours did. They died one by one. The tang that I put in is thriving though.

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything about you QTing your fish? How did you acclimate them to your tank?

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity? It could be a number of things, including...just not healthy fish. Start slow and build up beneficial bacteria.
He entered beneficial bacteria if he used dr Tim's. The ammonia fed it. It should be something other than that. Unless he added too much too fast, I find it hard to believe if it was only 2 damsels in a large tank. The stuff worked fine for me in a smaller tank. I guess it would be good to ask, did you use the small or large bottle of bacteria?

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether he added it or not, a newly cycled tank needs to build the bacteria naturally. The bacteria you dose only gets you over the hump of converting ammonia into nitrite, then into nitrate. Simply over feeding the first two fish could offset that initial delicate balance.
That's fair

LBCoralGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always been a fan of starting a tank with adding a few cheap fish such as damsels or chromis, and building the bacteria that way. As good as the products say they add everything you need, there’s just something about it where you will loose fish in the beginning anyway.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in the method. I mistakenly thought you used all dr. Tim's to include the bacteria. I have never used bio spira so I cannot speak to that product. I seem to recall brstv talking about it and liking it. Is there a reason that you did not use dr. Tim's bacteria?

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether he added it or not, a newly cycled tank needs to build the bacteria naturally. The bacteria you dose only gets you over the hump of converting ammonia into nitrite, then into nitrate. Simply over feeding the first two fish could offset that initial delicate balance.

That's fair

But then agian, how will I know it's completely cycled and ready for fish? I mean, the ammonia and nitrite were both at zero. Isn't that the goal?

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But then agian, how will I know it's completely cycled and ready for fish? I mean, the ammonia and nitrite were both at zero. Isn't that the goal?
Yes, but you have to add bio load slowly so the bacteria van catch up. What tests are you using and has your lfs tested your water to ensure your testing it accurately?

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in the method. I mistakenly thought you used all dr. Tim's to include the bacteria. I have never used bio spira so I cannot speak to that product. I seem to recall brstv talking about it and liking it. Is there a reason that you did not use dr. Tim's bacteria?
The mixed reviews of it. I've also used Bio Spira in the past. Although, this was my first time cycling a tank in about five years. Bio Spira has relatively more consistent positive reviews compared to One and Only.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mixed reviews of it. I've also used Bio Spira in the past. Although, this was my first time cycling a tank in about five years. Bio Spira has relatively more consistent positive reviews compared to One and Only.
One and only. 2 weeks later
20181006_092557.jpeg

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but you have to add bio load slowly so the bacteria van catch up. What tests are you using and has your lfs tested your water to ensure your testing it accurately?
I agree with this. Although, two Chromis I doubt should push the needle too far. And at the same time, the ammonia never went over zero. I checked it daily. And I'm using the API test kits.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back