New Diamond Goby is not "fat"

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a (small) Diamond Goby yesterday. It does not have a fat belly, but doesn't look sickly skinny. It has set up a home base in a perfect spot for me to see also! It has started to venture out a bit and sift. I just fed the tank and as luck would have it a pellet drifted in front of his spot and he attacked it. Then he ventured out and got a couple more. So great news he is eating! I know these guys can be a little tricky and sometimes starve, so I will be monitoring it closely. Assuming it keeps eating well, about how long do you think it should take for me to see it look a little fatter?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on my third diamond goby... first 2 jumped during quarantine! All three have eaten like crazy. Mine love mysis shrimp!

OP
OP
Diznaster

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm shouldn't have a problem with jumping. My main concern is it's health but also me not being overly paranoid because it is not "fat belly". I don't want to fall into a trap where it "seems OK" because it is eating. I also don't want to stress myself because it "isn't fat yet" when it might take some time. I'd love a general idea of when I should expect to see it "fattening up", a week, a month, etc... Then I would be concerned it was not eating enough or has an issue. I'm new and learning, but not lazy. It would break my heart to kill something due to my stupidity.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pics! Show us.:)

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is showing intrest in food, like it sounds, he should be fat in no time. It all depends on what you feed and how much you feed. Also how many others are competing for the food. As long as he stays active and sifting I would t worry about anything. It’s when he stops showing intrest in sifting or eating that you should be worried.

Shipping puts a lot of stress on fish in general, especially one that relies on sand to survive.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take a few days for them to settle in and feel comfortable. They are typically pretty darn good eaters. Get some frozen mysis shrimp... Mine typicslly eats about 10 an evening... and he doesn't have a fat belly... normal looking to me. Post a pic!

OP
OP
Diznaster

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As luck would have it, it was out sifting again. Got a decent pic.

DG_day2.jpg

OP
OP
Diznaster

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been feeding my other fish mostly Neptune Crossover. Everyone in the tank loves it so far, Clowns, Fairy Wrasse, Peppermint Shrimp, Emerald Crabs, Nassarius snails. They all get crazy when it hits the water. I have been trying other things as "treats" (Mysis, etc...) also. The Goby liked the Crossover so far.

OP
OP
Diznaster

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all,
It seems to be adjusting better than I expected. Building a den, starting to explore and sift. Sounds like that can take a week or two sometimes. It's going to town right now building up den. Glad to hear does not look starved. I suppose as long as it stays active, eats, and grows I shouldn't be worried. I'm probably being paranoid, but I'd rather be careful. It is adorable, already my favorite. I'll update it's progress.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my diamond goby also. His antics are so entertaining. Mine eats everything and anything. Your sounds and looks healthy.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a (small) Diamond Goby yesterday. It does not have a fat belly, but doesn't look sickly skinny. It has set up a home base in a perfect spot for me to see also! It has started to venture out a bit and sift. I just fed the tank and as luck would have it a pellet drifted in front of his spot and he attacked it. Then he ventured out and got a couple more. So great news he is eating! I know these guys can be a little tricky and sometimes starve, so I will be monitoring it closely. Assuming it keeps eating well, about how long do you think it should take for me to see it look a little fatter?

I did have one die on me, but that guy had been through a lot, multiple rock reorganizations, aggressive tank mates, transferring from a 36 gallon to a 90 gallon and finally uprooting all the rock and adding another 50lbs of it to my 90 (I think the last one was finally too much for him). My new one eats like a pig though. Oh and he is in a battle with a left handed hermit crab in terms of who owns his cave. He picks it up in his mouth and spits him out none too gently in another spot.

OP
OP
Diznaster

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far it seems to everyone's new friend, the two clowns, ruby head fairy wrasse and shrimp all follow him around hoping he stirs up something good. Tank is getting a little cloudy, but that should quiet down once all the dust gets stirred up and filtered out

Tom Forness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these guys known for jumping? I had purchased one recently thinking it to be a bottom dweller and was disappointed when I found him outside the tank.

OP
OP
Diznaster

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to marine aquariums (but many years of fresh water) I have learned the hard way that in my belief every fish is a jumper. I'll never have a tank without a screen/cover/hood... again.

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a lid on my tank with a diamond goby. Mine has the most personality in the tank. He thinks he owns it. He has made friends with my Angel and Clown and all the other critters. He is definitely a work horse. I bought him to clean up my sand bed and it has been sparkling ever since. Mine eats everything including frozen, pellets, and seaweed that I feed the angel. He pretty much much status on the bottom except to come up and grab some food.
I wouldn't be worried about yours as long as your is eating. I was told when I got mine that they get a lot of nutrients when they are sand sifting. Mine is not fat, but it's very healthy.

OP
OP
Diznaster

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tiny guy is building such a massive mound of sand against my rock, I estimate in two days I will have a bare bottom with a single giant sand mound! It's kinda funny, but a little scary. Hopefully it stops soon, he could hide in this spot with a mound 1/10th the size and is not being bothered by aggressive fish. Is eating like a fish 5x his size...

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just so happens that I shot a video clip of my diamond goby doing his daily construction tonight. Enjoy lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back