New Duncan Head?

LexiconDevil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here.
I purchased my Duncan coral a little over a month ago and I’ve been in love with it. The last couple of weeks I’ve noticed that it’ll bulge on the skeleton just underneath the head.
I’m wondering if this looks like growth to anybody who’s had experience with them. One time it happened and it almost looked like it had movement as if it had tentacles like a regular Duncan head. I’ll post a picture.
I’m also wondering if there’s anyway to prevent my fish from picking at the coral because it seems as if every time these bulges do come up, my fish will pick at it and the bulge will disappear.

80C118C5-5B6A-41EF-B232-5DA40181EEBC.jpeg 3B6CC883-FBD3-4F9D-A6B9-8C2C93780D12.jpeg

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes duncans will normally (from what ive seen from mine) bud underneath other heads. It does look like it is creating a bud!! And for the fish issue, ive never heard of them doing that. I would set up a camera system to see or simply remove the coral and place it elsewhere if you can. What fish do you have?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LexiconDevil

LexiconDevil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes duncans will normally (from what ive seen from mine) bud underneath other heads. It does look like it is creating a bud!! And for the fish issue, ive never heard of them doing that. I would set up a camera system to see or simply remove the coral and place it elsewhere if you can. What fish do you have?
I only have two ocellaris clownfish. Oddly, whenever I’ve seen it happen, it’s only been one and it’s the one that seems more dominant of the pair.

Upvote 0

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have two ocellaris clownfish. Oddly, whenever I’ve seen it happen, it’s only been one and it’s the one that seems more dominant of the pair.
Do they have a "home" that they stay near? If they do have a side of the aquarium they stay on, move the duncan to the opposite side. Oddly though ive never heard of clowna doing this.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LexiconDevil

LexiconDevil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have a "home" that they stay near? If they do have a side of the aquarium they stay on, move the duncan to the opposite side. Oddly though ive never heard of clowna doing this.
I’ll try this, usually they hang around my power head in the corner of my tank. Thanks for the reply

Upvote 0

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try this, usually they hang around my power head in the corner of my tank. Thanks for the reply
I had a similar issue, apparently I don’t know if this is right, but the clown is turning to female, and arranging the lay out, in had a single marrron clown and no matter what I did it just moved the frag...

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back