New guy - advice appreciated

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

totally new to saltwater aquariums. I have a 75gal tank with salinity about 1.026
I’ve been cycling my tank patiently (even though I’m an impatient person) and think it’s ready for fish. First two will be clowns lol my only worry is my parameters with the nitrogen cycle. I’ve read from a load of places though that the API test kit is insanely sensitive OR pops false positives for ammonia. So I was looking to introduce myself and post test results here for the collective wisdom & advice. My name is Judd btw! Super excited to get some fish in here for my daughter to look at!!

Day 2 tests
pH ~8.3
Ammonia 2.0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm

Day 4 tests
pH ~8.3
Ammonia 2.0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm

Day 6 test
pH ~8.2
Ammonia 2.0ppm
Nitrite .5-1.0ppm

Day 8 test
pH 8.2
Ammonia 2.0ppm
Nitrite 2.0ppm

Day 10 test
pH ~8.2
Ammonia 1.0ppm
Nitrite 3.0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm

Day 11 test
pH ~8.3
Ammonia 0.5ppm
Nitrite 3.0-5.0ppm
Nitrate ~20ppm

Day 15 test
pH ~8.2
Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite .50ppm
Nitrate 20ppm

Day 17 test
pH ~8.2
Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5.0ppm

ADDED ~2.0ppm ammonia

Day 18 test
pH ~8.2
Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5.0ppm

Day 23 test (Oct 11)
pH ~8.2
Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome33.gif

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone,

totally new to saltwater aquariums. I have a 75gal tank with salinity about 1.026
I’ve been cycling my tank patiently (even though I’m an impatient person) and think it’s ready for fish. First two will be clowns lol my only worry is my parameters with the nitrogen cycle. I’ve read from a load of places though that the API test kit is insanely sensitive OR pops false positives for ammonia. So I was looking to introduce myself and post test results here for the collective wisdom & advice. My name is Judd btw! Super excited to get some fish in here for my daughter to look at!!

Day 2 tests
pH ~8.3
Ammonia 2.0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm

Day 4 tests
pH ~8.3
Ammonia 2.0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm

Day 6 test
pH ~8.2
Ammonia 2.0ppm
Nitrite .5-1.0ppm

Day 8 test
pH 8.2
Ammonia 2.0ppm
Nitrite 2.0ppm

Day 10 test
pH ~8.2
Ammonia 1.0ppm
Nitrite 3.0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm

Day 11 test
pH ~8.3
Ammonia 0.5ppm
Nitrite 3.0-5.0ppm
Nitrate ~20ppm

Day 15 test
pH ~8.2
Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite .50ppm
Nitrate 20ppm

Day 17 test
pH ~8.2
Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5.0ppm

ADDED ~2.0ppm ammonia

Day 18 test
pH ~8.2
Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5.0ppm

Day 23 test (Oct 11)
pH ~8.2
Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
As numbers look good, what test kits are you using ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just the API, I didn’t even think to go ahead and order another after I became suspicious of the .25ppm ammonia reading ‍♂️
Yes, they are well known for false readings. You can take a water sample toa Trusted LFS that does Not use Api kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U can get a test kit for ammonia from salifert, elos, or even red sea to get more precise and accurate #s.
However this 1 test kit will probably cost as much as a whole set from api.
Also it's not really needed imo. Only patience is. Give time. I'd add a 2 fish after a month yes and slowly introduce the rest of your stock in the yr. Give it a cpl weeks between stockings.
Also fish only? Fish with live rock? Or a reef? This is a good start and one of the 1st choices of the tank.
D

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220807-181032_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220807-181032_Gallery.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 19

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Under The Sea Hello GIF by Lillee Jean

Hello
Welcome to the reefs!
As stated above, API test kits are known to be less accurate than others.
If you want to eventually add different types of coral, and not fish only, to invest in higher quality kits.
For now, though, I'd also agree you're ready to add some fishes and a couple snails to clean up after them.
Ask lots of questions, we love to help!!!

OP
OP
Judson_f

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U can get a test kit for ammonia from salifert, elos, or even red sea to get more precise and accurate #s.
However this 1 test kit will probably cost as much as a whole set from api.
Also it's not really needed imo. Only patience is. Give time. I'd add a 2 fish after a month yes and slowly introduce the rest of your stock in the yr. Give it a cpl weeks between stockings.
Also fish only? Fish with live rock? Or a reef? This is a good start and one of the 1st choices of the tank.
D
I honestly don’t even know yet. I want to keep the tank pretty darn empty. Just to keep the focus on the few fish that are in it lol so plans for now are literally two clowns, a goby & shrimp pair, and maybe some more clean up crew once I see I may need them. But I intend on keeping the bio load light - the only thing is idk if I’d be interested in adding a few corals if I could way later on. Or maybe a BTA for my clowns instead
** edit I have live sand & dry rock that is now obviously wet … and hopefully full of good bacteria haha

OP
OP
Judson_f

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under The Sea Hello GIF by Lillee Jean

Hello
Welcome to the reefs!
As stated above, API test kits are known to be less accurate than others.
If you want to eventually add different types of coral, and not fish only, to invest in higher quality kits.
For now, though, I'd also agree you're ready to add some fishes and a couple snails to clean up after them.
Ask lots of questions, we love to help!!!
Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
Judson_f

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are well known for false readings. You can take a water sample toa Trusted LFS that does Not use Api kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours
Thanks for the advice! I’ll probably overnight a better kit. I’m a little off the beaten path & the only pet stores are petcos and what have you (even that is just over an hour away lol)

OP
OP
Judson_f

Judson_f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say soft coral is more forgiving of water parameter should they go out of wack or imbalance.
Anenomes I don't recommend until the tanks been running 1yr +
D
That’s what I’ve been seeing/reading. Thank you! I’m not in a rush after I get those darn clowns in there. I just want to get SOMEthing in there to start then I’ll be content and take my sweet time like I said don’t have much I even want to add past just a couple nice fish anyway lol

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back