new guy from Ohio

andy71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I currently have a 38 gallon FOWLR with one clownfish. (There's also an aipstia anemone in there which I've been procrastinating on exterminating. :eek: )

A year ago, all of these were in a standard rectangular 90 gallon, but I downsized and put fancy goldfish in the 90 for a change. The goldfish are now in a 75, and I'm planning to bring back the 90 as a peninsula reef. This works well since I can only drill the sides, as the rest of the glass is tempered (Deep Blue brand tank).

Currently I'm building the stand, installing an RODI system, and slowly gathering equipment. I have a full unfinished basement, but the tank is on the main level above that. My main focus of research right now is making vs. purchasing an overflow and plumbing the house for RODI, saltwater, and a drain for all of it.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andy, Welcome to R2R
Looks like you have the right equipment to DIY a overflow with that delta;)

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

welcom.jpg

OP
OP
andy71

andy71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

Andy, Welcome to R2R
Looks like you have the right equipment to DIY a overflow with that delta;)
Ha ha, I hope. :D I haven't worked much with acrylic, but at least it has less "surprises" like knots, twist, and middle-of-cut wood movement.

Welcome to R2R Andy. Looking forward to seeing the peninsula!
Thanks, I've bookmarked your peninsula thread, read a few pages of it, and found plenty of great ideas there already.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

Ha ha, I hope. :D I haven't worked much with acrylic, but at least it has less "surprises" like knots, twist, and middle-of-cut wood movement.

Thanks, I've bookmarked your peninsula thread, read a few pages of it, and found plenty of great ideas there already.

This is a pretty good video on welding acrylic link

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just what I needed. Thank you!

Also I have learned to use the #4 glue and the welds are much cleaner with the applicator. There are a couple of Threads over in the DIY that can be helpful link. One other thing, be careful with the small cuts. Do not wing it, if it takes longer make a sled/jig for the table saw. Also the tooth rake with miter boxes tend to catch the plastic. ;)

OP
OP
andy71

andy71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I have learned to use the #4 glue and the welds are much cleaner with the applicator. There are a couple of Threads over in the DIY that can be helpful link. One other thing, be careful with the small cuts. Do not wing it, if it takes longer make a sled/jig for the table saw. Also the tooth rake with miter boxes tend to catch the plastic. ;)
Thanks, I appreciate the tips!

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to Reef2Reef @andy71 !* I am sure your goldfish are lovely.Wouldn't mind seeing a picture or two if you have one handy.I have to keep all of mine outdoors unfortunately.Best of luck with you new build! It sounds like it is going to be big.

1496077152511.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it her!

Post pics of the tanks! :)

Keep us posted on the build as well.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back