New Guy on the Block (in Arizona) - Help

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Name is Ed, my first SW tank was a 20 Gallon that I did for my daughter - a "Nemo" Tank - it had a 45 Gallon HOB filter with about 15 Lbs of Live Rock. Kept it until I got too aggressive with cleaning the filter (HOB) and got some cleaning solution (maybe vinegar) in the tank (I did not know it at the time). Eventually all live stock died (Rest in Peace). Fast Forward 4 years or so. I started a 55 Gallon Mixed Reef Tank (Fish, Live Rock and Corals). Using 2 75 Gal HOB Filters and about 38 lbs of LR + 60 lbs of live sand and 2 AI Primes lighting about 10 hrs a day ramping time included in that figure - this tank has been running about 2 Months now. Inhabitants seem happy, but I hope I am not moving too fast. I have 2 Clowns, Pigmy Angelfish, Sleeper Goby + 3-4 Emerald Crabs, 2 Zoas, 2 Gorilla Nipples a Fancy Chalice and a Torch Coral (The Torch was a fathers day present from my wife and daughter).

This is where I hope I am not getting over my head - Within the next couple of weeks, I plan on getting a 185 Gallon Aquarium (Stand, base, Sump, UPS, Protein Skimmer, any living livestock (including corals and LR), t5 Lighting, reference books and Canopy included). I realize, I have a few things to look at:

- Live Stock Compatibility
- It is a Pre-Owned Tank - so it will need TLC (Cleaning) - Maybe even stain the wood.
- Cycle the Tank (Planning for a month)
- Plan for Aquascapeing (after all the new tank is 3.3 times the size of what I have now)
- Once Cycled - Decommission 55 Gallon Tank and Transfer Livestock, LR.
- Still thinking about Substrate - Not Sure I want Sand, but I have a Sleeper Goby and he sifts sand and he hides in the sand/Builds Tunnels.

The Biggest Problem, I foresee is I don't know anything about sumps, protein skimmers. I am trying to read what I can find here, But I am getting a little nervous. I have created a check list for moving the 185, but I hope I am not forgetting something; Please help with comments, suggestions, tips, references to look at.

Best to all,

Ed

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is to hook up with fellow reefers to help with the move. Look into local clubs and join one. I also know that we have a number of R2R members living in Arizona.......hopefully some of them will chime in.

HERE are the three AZ clubs listed on R2R.

Last edited:

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!! I would slow down and do a ton of research before starting a tank that size. You'll definitely want a sump/skimmer. Ask a ton of questions here. We all want to help!

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You, do you have any suggestions for learning about Sumps.
You would want too try and get the biggest you can.. that will fit .. decide wether you want one with a refugium or not .. look on YouTube for sumps /reefaquariums .. 100s of videos

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Ed to R2R and congrats on the upgrade. Just take your time, read, read and read some more before trying to get it started. There are plenty of willing and able folks here to help along the way. The link provided above by @Jason mack is a good place to start.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, Ed. I went online with my first sump last year and have not looked back. I built is a couple of safety measures for overflows, this was my main reason for not having sumps in the past. Sumps are not as scary as we all think;):)

OP
OP
Young@Heart

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, Ed. I went online with my first sump last year and have not looked back. I built is a couple of safety measures for overflows, this was my main reason for not having sumps in the past. Sumps are not as scary as we all think;):)

Thanks to all that responded. I know it seems like a pretty big upgrade, but it looks like a Screaming Deal.

I think I will move every thing in and we will see about the livestock that comes with it. Once I get the tank I think I will move SLOWLY probably spend a week cleaning, assessing/setting it up. I am thinking about just starting from scratch. I like the idea of starting it up new - the big thing is the live stock, frags and LR - that could change things. Lots to consider ... I know I will have questions so those will come soon enough. Thanks again!

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

welcom.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all that responded. I know it seems like a pretty big upgrade, but it looks like a Screaming Deal.

I think I will move every thing in and we will see about the livestock that comes with it. Once I get the tank I think I will move SLOWLY probably spend a week cleaning, assessing/setting it up. I am thinking about just starting from scratch. I like the idea of starting it up new - the big thing is the live stock, frags and LR - that could change things. Lots to consider ... I know I will have questions so those will come soon enough. Thanks again!
At the least you have a plan

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup down in Amado/Elephant Head. You have a lot of good resources up in that area, much more than down here.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back