New Gyre 300 Series Pumps Feature Sine Wave Tech & Flow Director

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When launched the Maxspect Gyre was one of the most disruptive water flow pumps in the reef aquarium hobby. With the announcement of the new 300 Series of Maxspect Gyres we’re excited to discover a true next generation successor to the original turbine style water mover. Right off the bat the biggest change to the […]

Continue reading...

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I run two 230's and consider them one of the best additions I've had so I'm really interested in learning more on these.

It stated something to the effect of being shaded to reduce algae buildup from the lighting but I've not had any buildup on the current ones?

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like the idea. One thing I really don't like about powerheads like the Neptune WAV or the Gyres in comparison to the MP## line, is maintenance. Cleaning my WAV pumps this weekend in comparison to the MP40's was just a pain. If they would just make the power cable with a quick disconnect dongle then life would just be simpler. Say a 1ft or 1.5ft cable with an extension. That way you wouldn't have to either bring all your cleaning solution close to the tank, or unplug the cable from the power supply just for cleaning.

Last edited:

wasmithee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like the idea. One thing I really don't like about powerheads like the Neptune WAV or the Gyres in comparison to the MP## line is maintenance. Cleaning my WAV pumps this weekend in comparison to the MP40's was just a pain. If they would just make the power cable with a quick disconnect dongle then life would just be simpler. Say a 1ft or 1.5ft cable with an extension. That way you wouldn't have to either bring all your cleaning solution close to the tank or unplug the cable from the power supply just for cleaning.
AMEN! I am so surprised that powerhead manufacturers have not caught onto this principle by now. I am setting up a new tank now and this is one of my concerns: how can I move the powerhead connections close enough to the pump so that I can easily disconnect them for cleaning.

Last edited:

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like the idea. One thing I really don't like about powerheads like the Neptune WAV or the Gyres in comparison to the MP## line, is maintenance. Cleaning my WAV pumps this weekend in comparison to the MP40's was just a pain. If they would just make the power cable with a quick disconnect dongle then life would just be simpler. Say a 1ft or 1.5ft cable with an extension. That way you wouldn't have to either bring all your cleaning solution close to the tank, or unplug the cable from the power supply just for cleaning.

the OEM should pay you for this idea and enact it. it doesnt seem like they cant do it, the connections for my icecap use a quick connect but all the way at the end. a 2' quick release from the pump would push me to use these gyres 100% but its just way way way too easy to do ecotech maintenance in comparison. unhooking the icecap alone would take longer than my mp40 maintenance

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the best thing to do is buy an extension cable and then roll up the excess from the pump to where the extension hooks up and there ya go!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When launched the Maxspect Gyre was one of the most disruptive water flow pumps in the reef aquarium hobby. With the announcement of the new 300 Series of Maxspect Gyres we’re excited to discover a true next generation successor to the original turbine style water mover. Right off the bat the biggest change to the […]

Continue reading...

Right after I just buy two 230’s... fantastic

Zohar78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol.. i guess thats why the stuff was on sale big time.. lOL.. bought a xf250 for my 130g, during the black friday sale. also bought trigger system triton sump which they jsut released v2 on.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol.. i guess thats why the stuff was on sale big time.. lOL.. bought a xf250 for my 130g, during the black friday sale. also bought trigger system triton sump which they jsut released v2 on.
We got GOT!

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought xf280 but if I hear about new model or see newer model with name or number 300 series then I would expect more gph flow, based on what I read it produces 5280 gph which is equal to xf280 only difference is that it has shroud that prevents air bubbles. I don't see this motivating me to spend money to upgrade for same GPH flow... JMO..

Paul C.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of 280's on my 8' 315 gal. Love the flow they produce. Wonder if the shroud design can be used/retrofitted with the current models?

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of 280's on my 8' 315 gal. Love the flow they produce. Wonder if the shroud design can be used/retrofitted with the current models?

I made that change in the past with my gyre by bending acrylic sheet and added curve so it does not create vortechs and since arylic is clear it is very hard to notice between surface and water, it kind of blend in,

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah would be great if they sold the shroud separately as I’m not going to upgrade until my 250’s die, but would defiantly buy the shroud

Zohar78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got GOT!

HEH. at the same time i really cant complain. just on those two items alone, i saved 190 dollars then if i bought it not on black friday. silver linings.. all total i saved about 250-280 on black friday. this will allow me to get the 130g up and going a month earlier.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back