New Haddoni under Cipro...

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I thought some of my Haddonis were big at around 40cm, but I just got a massive blue one two days ago that's probably 60cm+. Unfortunately, after 2 days in QT the first deflation has occurred, and it's currently doing the 'spewing brown pellets'. I have it under Ciproflo as per Orion's protocol, so I hope it pulls through. Unfortunately, while I have 100% success with mags and Ciprofloxacin, I only have about a ~50% track record with carpets (granted, typically the ones I've lost have arrived in much worse condition than this one).

I'm hoping it pulls through, prayers are appreciated! Currently in 50L of water in a 100L QT tub (Air off for photo).

1B15CD37-CB31-4E7B-9483-1874D040DCDB.jpeg

Tompickles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! I’m following along I just started keeping carpets. They’re amazing animals

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve when Haddoni's are infected do they normally spit out lots of brown pellet (presumably their zooxanthellae)? The last one I had do that I wasn't able to save :(

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve when Haddoni's are infected do they normally spit out lots of brown pellet (presumably their zooxanthellae)? The last one I had do that I wasn't able to save :(
I have had some do it and some not do it. If it is actually zoox, I have no clue. Could just be poo or a mix.

If they do this, I typically will do a good flush in new water at same temp, ph and alk. between the water changes. This has seemed to help them flush out whatever it is and progress with the treatment much better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had some do it and some not do it. If it is actually zoox, I have no clue. Could just be poo or a mix.

If they do this, I typically will do a good flush in new water at same temp, ph and alk. between the water changes. This has seemed to help them flush out whatever it is and progress with the treatment much better.
Good to know, how are you doing the rinsing? Gentle turkey baster to the body cavity, or?

Today it's looking better, mouth is not as open and it's responding to light. I'll take photos later today.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, how are you doing the rinsing? Gentle turkey baster to the body cavity, or?

Today it's looking better, mouth is not as open and it's responding to light. I'll take photos later today.
I place in a shallow tub and allow it to site for a few minutes with no water. The nem will expel a lot of water from it when just sitting there. I dump that water out, then add new water and let it sit for a few minutes in there until it start to expand some. It should start to slowly take some water in. Once it does that, I drain the water and let it sit a few more minutes with no water. Then dump that and place back in HT and continue treatment.

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I place in a shallow tub and allow it to site for a few minutes with no water. The nem will expel a lot of water from it when just sitting there. I dump that water out, then add new water and let it sit for a few minutes in there until it start to expand some. It should start to slowly take some water in. Once it does that, I drain the water and let it sit a few more minutes with no water. Then dump that and place back in HT and continue treatment.
Ok thanks a ton for that. I didn't know what you meant so today I let it sit in 10 liters of water with a mild iodine solution (like 1% the strength that I would use for coral) and I swished it around a lot. I can't believe how fast it dirtied the water. I then disinfected the entire QT system with hot water and iodine, and put it back in 50L of freshly mixed water (and Cipro of course).

In the 10L 'rinse' bucket in between QT tank cleaning/WCs:

9FCA2857-7F4C-49A4-B8BE-170D3AF41110.jpeg

Rinse bucket after ~15 minutes of sitting and rinsing :astonished-face:

BCB531DC-22CE-4098-B220-8B2F189325F6.jpeg

Right after going back in QT:

E1AC9B8B-7C60-401F-A8AF-1A90F29B7D4A.jpeg

About 3 hours after going back in QT:

DC1DCDBE-AA3F-4365-9A16-8E0F9036ED6D.jpeg

Mouth seems better but I'm worried about the little tissue tears that have appeared, that is usually not a good sign IME. I guess we will wait and see. The water is already a little cloudy, wondering if I should do yet another full water change after only a ~3 hours while trying your expelling method?

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up doing another water change late, but woke up this morning and it’s gone. I have virtually no luck saving haddoni with Ciprofloxacin, only gigantea and mags. Next time I’ll try the low dose protocol as opposed to the high dose. :(

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw In my experience of the vendor holds the anemone for about a month the enemy survive, and when the vendor immediately turns around and sells it, the enemies don’t survive. This purchase with a new vendor that did not hold the anemone for very long.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back