New Heaters

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@randyBRS
I see the heaters are up on the site! Im thinking of grabbing the 100 watt for my red sea reefer nano. Im going to run it off my apex. I currently have a 100 watt jager in my tank and last year it was on constantly during the months of jan and feb due to my living room being quite drafty here in buffalo ny. Even with the 100 watt going 24/7 i think i was still slightly below my target temp. This year i was going to go with two 75 watt jagers instead. But i really want your new 100 watt. Should i give the titanium 100 watt a try and see how it goes? Too bad you dont have a 75 watt available! Looks like i need to upgrade my tank ;)

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cant you just get the 100w and plug in your jager with it? The brs temp controller has 2 outlets.
I was planning on taking the jager out of service as its been about a year at this point... im just not sure i want to run two 100 watt heaters in 25 gallons...

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on taking the jager out of service as its been about a year at this point... im just not sure i want to run two 100 watt heaters in 25 gallons...
As long as you have it hooked up on the apex I wouldnt sweat it, worst case one gets stuck on and you get an alarm and apex shuts off the outlet

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @infinite0180 Typically I'd expect the 100w to keep up just fine. That's 4 watts per gallon, which in most circumstances is plenty. That said, room temp and drafts can make a difference.

The titanium heating element will be more efficient at transferring the heat to the water than a glass heater, so that may help too, but it won't change the heat loss from the tank. Another option may be to put some insulation around the sump and sides of the tank, to reduce heat loss.

Last edited:
OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi @infinite0180 Typically I'd expect the 100w to keep up just fine. That's 4 watts per gallon, which in most circumstances is plenty. That said, room temp and drafts can make a difference.

The titanium heating element will be more efficient at transferring the heat to the water than a glass heater, so that may make a difference, but it won't change the heat loss from the tank. Another option may be to put some insulation around the sump and sides of the tank, to reduce heat loss.
Thanks! Thats what i was hoping to hear! Ill give the new 100 watt a try and if it falls short ill rethink it. I was hoping to run two smaller heaters but i can always add another if needed!

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The brs temp controller?

You mean the rebranded blue inkbird that’s been out for like 2 years already?
Not trying to argue and im not even necessarily going to buy the controller, but, the brs version has some advantages. 0.3 degree temp fluctuation as well as replaceable temp probes incase it fails... seems like its got some upgrades...

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to argue and im not even necessarily going to buy the controller, but, the brs version has some advantages. 0.3 degree temp fluctuation as well as replaceable temp probes incase it fails... seems like its got some upgrades...
The blue inkbird has both those things.

azank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to see how these will compare to heaters already on the market as many of them can do exactly the same thing as the new BRS ones.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But If you look at the specs of the inkbird, a 1 degree resolution in Fahrenheit is the same as a 0.3 degree resolution in Celsius. If you set the controller up in Fahrenheit, then change the unit to Celsius, there’s the 0.3 degree resolution...

My last inkbird that failed, they sent me a new probe. Came with instructions on how to attach the new probe. Funnily enough- that new probe has a stereo jack half way down, so now I have a replaceable probe version.

Neither of those features are exclusive to the brs rebranding. The unit even looks exactly the same. Why do people think it’s anything new?

But if someone wants to throw $20 extra on a sticker, that’s their call

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to see how these will compare to heaters already on the market as many of them can do exactly the same thing as the new BRS ones.
I’d wager it performs exactly like an inkbird running an eheim jaeger, but for an extra $50

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But If you look at the specs of the inkbird, a 1 degree resolution in Fahrenheit is the same as a 0.3 degree resolution in Celsius. If you set the controller up in Fahrenheit, then change the unit to Celsius, there’s the 0.3 degree resolution...

My last inkbird that failed, they sent me a new probe. Came with instructions on how to attach the new probe. Funnily enough- that new probe has a stereo jack half way down, so now I have a replaceable probe version.

Neither of those features are exclusive to the brs rebranding. The unit even looks exactly the same. Why do people think it’s anything new?

But if someone wants to throw $20 extra on a sticker, that’s their call

Im not getting what your saying about changing the settings and getting the 0.3 degree resolution. Changing it to C would just give you a 0.3 degree resolution in C wouldnt it? Thats still 1 degree F, unless im missing something?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not getting what your saying about changing the settings and getting the 0.3 degree resolution. Changing it to C would just give you a 0.3 degree resolution in C wouldnt it? Thats still 1 degree F, unless im missing something?
Exactly. The 0.3 degree resolution that brs uses as a selling feature is only in the Celcius setting. Youre limited to 1 degree resolution in the Fahrenheit ‘channel’ . How many of brs customers actually use Celsius?

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Exactly. The 0.3 degree resolution that brs uses as a selling feature is only in the Celcius setting. Youre limited to 1 degree resolution in the Fahrenheit ‘channel’ . How many of brs customers actually use Celsius?
Not that it really makes a difference but this is what the website says:
B5CC6DDD-2704-4618-96A4-035293F1CDD7.png

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue inkbird has both those things.

Just to clear this up, that's not exactly true. We're definitely not trying to hide that this is a product developed with Inkbird. We've been doing a lot of hands-on testing with various units over the last couple years, and felt that they had the basis of a good controller, but not everything we wanted in one package. There are a number of key differences that we have built into our units based on customer feedback and our own internal testing.

-Ours has a replaceable temp probe, while theirs normally does not. The probe is a primary failure point as they will just wear out over time. When that ones probe goes out, the whole unit is junk.
-Ours can be set to maintain a temp range as small as .3° Fahrenheit/.3 Celsius, and can be set in .1° increments. Theirs is limited to a full 1° temp swing in Fahrenheit or 1° Celsius, which if you were okay with using Celsius (I'd prefer not to, personally), that translates to .56° Farenheit increments. Based on feedback from a lot of our customers, as well as our own preferences, we requested a custom option for a lower temp swing range. We could have gone as low as .1°F, but this would create an opportunity for the controller to literally cycle on and off constantly, putting undue wear on the electronics. If you really wanted to though, you could use our .3° C setting and effectively tighten that to .16°F range.
-Ours has a 3 degree temp alarm, meaning if you set your temp to 78 and it gets to 81, you get an audible warning and the heater shuts off. Theirs will only alarm if the temp goes outside of the units temp setting range, which is -58F to 210F--not super helpful.
-Perhaps most importantly, if a regular Inkbird fails, you have to go to Inkbird to get help from them. If you buy one of our custom heaters, WE ARE THE WARRANTY SUPPORT! In the rare case you might have an issue with either the heating element or controller, you come to us and we take care of you, end of story.

-Zack@BRS

Last edited:

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clear this up, that's not exactly true. We're definitely not trying to hide that this is a product developed with Inkbird. We've been doing a lot of hands-on testing with various units over the last couple years, and felt that they had the basis of a good controller, but not everything we wanted in one package. There are a number of key differences that we have built into our units based on customer feedback and our own internal testing.

-Ours has a replaceable temp probe, while theirs normally does not. The probe is a primary failure point as they will just wear out over time. When that ones probe goes out, the whole unit is junk.
-Ours can be set to maintain a temp range as small as .3° Fahrenheit/.3 Celsius, and can be set in .1° increments. Theirs is limited to a full 1° temp swing in Fahrenheit or 1° Celsius, which if you were okay with using Celsius (I'd prefer not to, personally), that translates to .56° Farenheit increments. Based on feedback from a lot of our customers, as well as our own preferences, we requested a custom option for a lower temp swing range. We could have gone as low as .1°F, but this would create an opportunity for the controller to literally cycle on and off constantly, putting undue wear on the electronics. If you really wanted to though, you could use our .3° C setting and effectively tighten that to .16°F range.
-Ours has a 3 degree temp alarm, meaning if you set your temp to 78 and it gets to 81, you get an audible warning and the heater shuts off. Theirs will only alarm if the temp goes outside of the units temp setting range, which is -58F to 210F--not super helpful.
-Perhaps most importantly, if a regular Inkbird fails, you have to go to Inkbird to get help from them. If you buy one of our custom heaters, WE ARE THE WARRANTY SUPPORT! In the rare case you might have an issue with either the heating element or controller, you come to us and we take care of you, end of story.

-Zack@BRS

Hi zack

1) my most current inkbird has a replaceable probe. You can even buy replacements on amazon. Interestingly- they are backwards compatibly with the earlier 306 model controller if you can solder a stereo jack into the old sensor wire.

This mod was suggested to me by inkbird support months ago, basically giving anyone the ability to add replaceable probe functionality to any controller.

Inkbird 1.97 Inches Stainless Probe NTC 5 Centimeter Sensor Thermocouple DC Cord ITC1000 ITC306T ITC308S ITC310TB Thermostat Temperature Controller

2) my most recent inkbird has a 3 degree alarm set point. Actually, I’m sure I can set the alarm to 2 degree +\- setpoint, but I’d have to check.

3) my last warranty issue with inkbird took 2 days to resolve via social media- the quickest response Ive gotten from BRS was 6 days. Even then, the issue remained unsolved since the replacement item I was sent was also defective.

Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

-Zack@BRS

Thanks Zack. One feature i see mentioned on the inkbird website for the 806a wifi model is “dual protection” which they say means there is 2 relays in the controller so that even if one gets stuck in the on position the other will still function and turn the heater off. Is this something the brs model has or is it something that may be available down the line? Personally, im thinking of using my apex as the only controller, per say, with my brs heater. Then either putting the autoaqua temp sensor in place as a failsafe or possibly some kind of smart socket in between the heater plug and the EB that i can shut off via an app on my phone if i get a high temp alarm... i just feel like adding the brs or inkbird controller is too much to maintain.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Zack. One feature i see mentioned on the inkbird website for the 806a wifi model is “dual protection” which they say means there is 2 relays in the controller so that even if one gets stuck in the on position the other will still function and turn the heater off. Is this something the brs model has or is it something that may be available down the line? Personally, im thinking of using my apex as the only controller, per say, with my brs heater. Then either putting the autoaqua temp sensor in place as a failsafe or possibly some kind of smart socket in between the heater plug and the EB that i can shut off via an app on my phone if i get a high temp alarm... i just feel like adding the brs or inkbird controller is too much to maintain.

Yeah running a controller into your Apex can start to feel a bit bulky. The smart sensor from Auto Aqua seems like it would be a good solution for situations like that. I'm just hoping they'll tighten up that temp shutoff range a little.

Our controller is based on the 306T model, so the internal circuitry should be the same with regard to relay, which as far as I'm aware of is a single internal relay. Unfortunately the 308A model is fairly new and was not available at the time we were developing the current controller. I think there's a good chance we'll be taking a closer look at this one in the near future. I think it would also be nice to have the wifi functionality as well.

-Zack@BRS

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah running a controller into your Apex can start to feel a bit bulky. The smart sensor from Auto Aqua seems like it would be a good solution for situations like that. I'm just hoping they'll tighten up that temp shutoff range a little.

Our controller is based on the 306T model, so the internal circuitry should be the same with regard to relay, which as far as I'm aware of is a single internal relay. Unfortunately the 308A model is fairly new and was not available at the time we were developing the current controller. I think there's a good chance we'll be taking a closer look at this one in the near future. I think it would also be nice to have the wifi functionality as well.

-Zack@BRS
Honestly, if your running the brs controller through an apex there is no need for the dual relays. I was just curious if that was something you had more info on. The inkbird website doesn't go into much detail on it. Looking on amazon i see single wifi smart sockets with an app for as little as 8$. I might just put that in place as a failsafe between controller and brs heater. It would depend on me responding to the apex alarm in a timely manner and shutting it down from my phone in the event that the socket failed in the on position on my EB. Seems like a decent failsafe. Its not automatic but at least i could intervene from anywhere as long as wifi was working. Truthfully, im not sure the 100 watt could cool my tank, unless maybe it got stuck on in summertime when its really hot out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back