new here and could use some advice!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I would beef up the clean up crew with some Trochus and Cerith snails. Turbos maybe, but they can be bulldozers. The 10 assorted you have is a pretty low amount for that size tank. For Cyanobacteria I find flow helps, but if you can find what is feeding it, it will always go way on its own. Any heavy additives or overfeeding could cause Cyanobacteria to bloom. Good luck!

OP
OP
gr_reefer75

gr_reefer75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get a decent one earlier but the lighting is so blue. I will post pics tomorrow when the lights come back on

20190209_184939.jpg

OP
OP
gr_reefer75

gr_reefer75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I would beef up the clean up crew with some Trochus and Cerith snails. Turbos maybe, but they can be bulldozers. The 10 assorted you have is a pretty low amount for that size tank. For Cyanobacteria I find flow helps, but if you can find what is feeding it, it will always go way on its own. Any heavy additives or overfeeding could cause Cyanobacteria to bloom. Good luck!
Roger that planned to get some more snails good call and I have dosed a very small bit of reef roids 2x now but I feel like my issues have strung on and off since before that.. working on getting some better tests for my no3 and p04 to see about that

OP
OP
gr_reefer75

gr_reefer75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel about sea slugs?

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails and hermits and perhaps an emerald crab would surely help. I am not familiar with the Marineland HOB filter but I am more for the LR as the natural filter. Hard to suggest something when your parameters really are not out of wack. While you could test for Phosphate - it doesn't appear to me you feed enough to be worried that you are introducing enough measurable. Just a thought, you might want to test your RO to make sure it is what you think it is parameter wise and that it isn't your culprit.

Most importantly - WELCOME TO R2R. As you are experiencing, there are lots of helpful, non judgmental people on the forum. It is a wonderful reefing family! Hope that helps.

OP
OP
gr_reefer75

gr_reefer75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think I will definitely bulk up the clean up crew and I just ordered phosphate and nitrate test kits by seachem to test a bit more accurately.
Thanks for the warm welcome everyones been awesome! I've had so many tanks and critters my whole life but the reef is by far the most detailed and delicate! But also by far the most rewarding.
Snails and hermits and perhaps an emerald crab would surely help. I am not familiar with the Marineland HOB filter but I am more for the LR as the natural filter. Hard to suggest something when your parameters really are not out of wack. While you could test for Phosphate - it doesn't appear to me you feed enough to be worried that you are introducing enough measurable. Just a thought, you might want to test your RO to make sure it is what you think it is parameter wise and that it isn't your culprit.

Most importantly - WELCOME TO R2R. As you are experiencing, there are lots of helpful, non judgmental people on the forum. It is a wonderful reefing family! Hope that helps.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel about sea slugs?

I would be interested in researching them if I had a bigger tank, but not a lot of experience with them since many years past.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and to the family!

Great advice coming right off the back...

Have you used a turkey baster to blast some of the stuff off your LR? One more question if I may. Do you add any vitamin supplement to the Brine (assuming frozen not live)?

OP
OP
gr_reefer75

gr_reefer75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and to the family!

Great advice coming right off the back...

Have you used a turkey baster to blast some of the stuff off your LR? One more question if I may. Do you add any vitamin supplement to the Brine (assuming frozen not live)?
Hey there yes I do use the baster to dust my LR and typically do this obsessively lol but more so when I'm ready to do a water change.
I do not add any vitamin supp. To my brine, I thaw it in rodi water and toss it all in.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there yes I do use the baster to dust my LR and typically do this obsessively lol but more so when I'm ready to do a water change.
I do not add any vitamin supp. To my brine, I thaw it in rodi water and toss it all in.

Awesome! I would consider some Mysis as well. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Slow is key............... think slow, feed slow, stock slow and add coral very slowly.
Do Not let Impulse get the best of you and buy the best you can/can't afford. Buy it once and performance will do the rest. In addition, temp= 78-79, salinity = 1.025-1.027 and keep all aother readings stable rather than chasing/tuning them to perfection.

16715-e1497405674702.jpg

OP
OP
gr_reefer75

gr_reefer75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the 75 gal. I FINALLY got some good tests and readings.
It's definitely dinoflagellates and some small spots of hair algae that I had been working for months to eradicate before this and definitely almost completely overtook my tank when I was getting my lighting spectrum corrected.
My parameters are currently
SAL. =.026
CAL. =480
KH=9.9
MG. =1380
PHOS. =.1
NITRATES = 1.8
NITRITES =.05

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back