New here

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!
My story is different; as in 'everything old is new again', and so is my learning curve on salt tanks. Been in the fish game for close to...let's just say 40+ years, BUT, I've been away from all things fishy due to serious illnesses.
I plan on doing either a 60 gal cube or build my own faux drop off. I'm moving next year; and so I don't want to get anything too big til after my move, but I don't want to wait 'til next October 2020.

I've managed 3 fish depts/stores, trained ferocious parrots; babysat a sick lion, and have been trapped in a room with a leopard cut that got away from the vet...yea really, but getting back in the salt game intimidates me. It really does. There's so many new gadgets on the market, but I don't buy like a fool, I am a researcher.

I'm going to do a seahorse species tank, either 60-70 cube, or a 48 drop down. I've got my specs, and going to build it myself with help from a friend of mine that is building himself a catamaran, so I count myself lucky there.
I need advice on which you guys think the dwarfs will like better size wise, i.e. I have some reservations about a drop down for them, and flow issues in that sort of tank. (Hence saying I may stick with a larger cube; & then that is a no brainer for a cube. I would just build a drop down for another use.

Thanks for listening, and if any of you have already built a drop down, let me know...OR if you do NOT recommend it for the horses, let me know that too. (P.S.) I know their care/enviroment needs already, been there, done that in the far past.)

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi All!
My story is different; as in 'everything old is new again', and so is my learning curve on salt tanks. Been in the fish game for close to...let's just say 40+ years, BUT, I've been away from all things fishy due to serious illnesses.
I plan on doing either a 60 gal cube or build my own faux drop off. I'm moving next year; and so I don't want to get anything too big til after my move, but I don't want to wait 'til next October 2020.

I've managed 3 fish depts/stores, trained ferocious parrots; babysat a sick lion, and have been trapped in a room with a leopard cut that got away from the vet...yea really, but getting back in the salt game intimidates me. It really does. There's so many new gadgets on the market, but I don't buy like a fool, I am a researcher.

I'm going to do a seahorse species tank, either 60-70 cube, or a 48 drop down. I've got my specs, and going to build it myself with help from a friend of mine that is building himself a catamaran, so I count myself lucky there.
I need advice on which you guys think the dwarfs will like better size wise, i.e. I have some reservations about a drop down for them, and flow issues in that sort of tank. (Hence saying I may stick with a larger cube; & then that is a no brainer for a cube. I would just build a drop down for another use.

Thanks for listening, and if any of you have already built a drop down, let me know...OR if you do NOT recommend it for the horses, let me know that too. (P.S.) I know their care/enviroment needs already, been there, done that in the far past.)

@HunterW - I am glad that you are here on the forum and it sounds like you have some great questions and interesting interests! I encourage you to start another thread here in the "Meet and Greet Forum" or ask one of the #mods to move this thread for you so that you will get a lot more personal feedback. Good luck!

Fotocha

I have nightmares of jumping fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

giphy-5.gif

OP
OP
HunterW

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HunterW - I am glad that you are here on the forum and it sounds like you have some great questions and interesting interests! I encourage you to start another thread here in the "Meet and Greet Forum" or ask one of the #mods to move this thread for you so that you will get a lot more personal feedback. Good luck!

I sure will, I posted at like 3 a.m. and will do so soon! Thank you:)

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, Hunter!
Don't over think things. Go with what has proven to work. I'd do the cube. Many things have changed but the basics will always stay the same. Fortunately, with a seahorse tank, lighting will be simple. We look forward to hearing from those that have kept seahorses and there are some subforums on the subject. Can't wait to hear what you choose and to be able to tag along as you progress
Share and Like often!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi All!

I have a leopard cub for sale if you would like????? - you can forget about the tank. (Just kidding lol). welcome to R2R - someone will have an answer for you - if I (think) I know what you mean by a drop down - I dont see why a seahorse would have a problem

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome hunter ! Look forward to You sharing your knowledge . I know what Ya mean about illness been dealing with it since last September. Hard to keep the faith when not feeling good. Hope Your feeling better !

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back