New house need to level floor

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm moving into a new house and I'm going to put my tank in the finished basement. The floor is some kind of tile but it's really uneven. The pic attached isn't that great but you can see what it looks like. I'm thinking about making a form and pouring concrete over the tile to get a perfectly level area for my reefer 450. Anyone have any advice or other ideas ? This is my first house and the first time I can really make a space for my tank that is going to be perfect so I really want to do it right I don't want a bunch of shims
46e17f22f83b0df136f9f8fd95d8d70e.jpg

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with pulling the tile up. Pouring concrete over the top will most likely result in separation from the tile. Which could be a catastrophe with a full tank.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how out of level is it.... ?? If its more then you can shim or you do not want to shim it.. I would NOT!! TEAR Out the tile. If you ever move the tank or take it down then you gotta tear all of the tile out.. Build a Riser box for the tank to sit on matching the slope of the floor to create a level flat top. you can do this by ripping 2x down matching the floor slope PUT A piece of ply on top then trim board around the box leaving it Higher up then the ply allowing your tanks existing stand to sit down into it... Nice clean and level ....

Less

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20171005_174828[1].jpg

If you plan on removing tile in room, by all means take them out. If you don't , you can go over the tiles with a self leveling epoxy.
This is over tiles.

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are saltillo tiles, they are made with VERY friable clay, they are extremely soft when it comes to tile. I would suggest you break them out at least where your tank will go especially if it's a large heavy tank. The best way in my experience is to get a circular saw and use a masonry blade. You will be surprised at how easily they cut and break out.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back