New Jebao DCP pumps anyone ???

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by Abhishek, Sep 24, 2016.

1. ruppertb

ruppertb Well-Known Member

I tried to figure out the flow for the pumps with my head loss but the calculator that comes up when googling return pump calculator doesnt have jebao as a selectable pump. Would i be better to get a larger one and just dial it down or try to get the appropriate size. just not sure how much flow it will generate without the calculator. also which model would be best the dcp or dct - i saw one had apex control and the other didnt but the newest one said 30ft head pressure for highest model, i think that is more appealing than apex control as the other one was only 20 ft i think

2. ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Holy cow! Got mine in two days ago and it's amazingly quiet, you can't hear it at all! And powerful flow! Too much actually, I got the dcp 15000 and I have to dial it all the way down to 30% until I hook up reactors etc. Great pump would recommend 5 stars

Ruckus16 likes this.
  3. jason2459

jason2459 Not a paid scientist R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

My DCP 18000 on my skimmer has already quieted down a lot. Initially it had some noise which is common for a new pump. It's after it's ran for several weeks will you find out if they are noisy or quiet.

4. Dburr1014

Dburr1014 Active Member

Did anyone read the Coral magazine article about pumps and tungsten in the water column? It came out at the end of last year.
    I don't have in front of me but it says corals were doing bad and they found elevated tungsten and swapped out the pump.
    All went back to normal after.
    Just makes me wonder about these pumps. They didn't mention what pump...just china knockoff's.

5. steallife904

steallife904 Well-Known Member

been running a dct 6500 on my skimmer for 2 years and I bought it used. No issues at all, I wouldn't have a problem buying another!

6. ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I'll have to check it out when I get home. Makes me nervous! At the very least it's good to know in case something starts going wrong and you can't figure it out, gives you something else to check on. Thanks Dburr

7. jason2459

I'd be curious how they reliably detected that. I have a hard time with the cause there as well.

But either way I'll find out soon enough at least to the LOD and accuracy of ICP-OES testing. I've been using 2 Jebao DCT/DCS and now DCP and a Jebao relabeled pump (waveline) for a couple years now in system. I've always shown 0 W.

8. ksed

ksed Well-Known Member

Typically if it has a ceramic shaft the is no issues. When you have stainless steel or sometimes titanium it may contain some impurities when of lesser quality. This is were it may become a problem.

9. jason2459

I would have doubts that there would be near enough impurities of tungsteen in those metals to cause an issue. And usually lesser quality of those metals just includes more of the other metals they are alloyed with like chromium, nickel, aluminum, vanadium, etc. Afaik, tungsten is not included in that for either stainless steel or titanium. Tungsten is very dense and high melting points.

10. ksed

ksed Well-Known Member

I've seen an ICP test done which a very popular flow pump with SS shaft which had tungsten increase by 30x that of natural sea level.
    That been said the corals seemed to look good but large water change was performed as a precaution.

jason2459 likes this.
  11. jason2459

Didn't say it couldn't be an impurity but I don't see it as an alloy to be blended with specifically. An impurity would be so much smaller amount then say chromium.

But let me ask this then. Was there a test done before the pump was put in service? Was there nothing else added? And was the pump removed and a follow up test performed?

And alas it also comes down to accuracy of the ICP test which is known to not be reliable for minor trace elements but could be sufficient for trend a analysis. Which would require multiple tests through out.

ksed likes this.
  12. Kyl

Kyl Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Knock-off or not, most pumps are made in the same factory on the same castings. What differentiates you paying $150 or $350 is in many cases just a higher quality QC process or marketing (brand).

It's like this in most fields today, and all the brands not doing production domestically are doing it.

chipmunkofdoom2 likes this.
  13. cmcoker

cmcoker Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Here's the article, The High Price of being Cheap
    http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2016/10/21/coral-excerpt-the-high-price-of-being-cheap/

jason2459 likes this.
  14. jason2459

Awesome thank you! So, it definitely got plenty of testing done for proper trending. It also answered my doubts in that it wasn't a stainless steel or titanium shaft but apparently a tungsten shaft which would make sense if it corrodes would show up more significantly then say some off impurity in some other alloy.

cmcoker likes this.
  15. jason2459

To add this wouldn't apply to just Chinese pumps as that article is very heavily against Chinese products it seems but any one could use that metal as well.

It looks like Jebao from the product descriptions uses a ceramic shaft. I can verify later when I get a chance.

16. cmcoker

cmcoker Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I'm fairly certain all my jebao powerheads, WP25 x2 and PP8 x2 are ceramic shaft, it's white at least haha.
    Iirc, my dct12000 was the same but I only broke it down like twice and sold it when I downsized the tank.
    I have a jebao return still, but it's o me of the ac, non controllable ones. Gonna break it down this weekend and look, maybe a good reason to justify a new pump to the wife...

DSC reef likes this.
  17. jason2459

"Yes, I HAD to get the $3,000 abyzz pump. Anything else will kill everything in the tank and we wouldn't want that." :cool:

DSC reef likes this.
  18. cmcoker

Hahaha, that would be my last words..

DSC reef and townjas like this.
  19. Africangrey

Africangrey Active Member

Would love to know if the new JCP pump uses metal or ceramic shaft. I have been using JCP-12000 to power my lifereef SVS-30 and it's absolutely more powerful and no hum I could hear of compares to JCT-12000 I had used previously. There is no problem with JCT version except the annoying humming running at 50%. Would love send my water in for ICP-OES analysis for tungsten level.

20. happyhourhero

happyhourhero Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I use one in my skimmer and it uses a ceramic shaft.

Draft saved Draft deleted