New largish fish for our 72 bowfront

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So almost a month ago we lost our two biggest fish to a desease caried in by a new wrasse we added to the tank who also died. Anyway now we r ready or nearly ready to replace them!! So I have a 72g bowfront with a diamond goby a flame angel a juvinile neon damsel and two clowns who r a pair.. I want to add a leapard wrasse and some other fish already had a file and sailfin so want to try something different. I am thinking about a white collar butterfly or a flame fin Tang but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions?? I want something that will interact with you kinda. Our sail fin used to follow us whenever we walked pass the tank so something that could do something similar. And it has to be safe and won't cause any harm to our current fish and something on the bigger side like a Tang or butterfly. Ik I can't do angels. I want something with as much color as possible too. I have done a lot of research and narrowed it down to a few more but those are the best options based on the reaserch that I can do?? Plz advise thank you

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Sorry for your losses. That’s why we stress QT processes so much. I’m assuming you’ve left your tank empty for 6 plus weeks to kill of the pairasites, treated your present fish, and are ready to QT your new fish is that correct?

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Very sorry to hear about your fish.

You can use the guide on individual fish in Liveaquaria. com for appropriate sized fish for your small tank.

Mature sailfins are 1.5' tall.

Most 75 gallon tanks have 4 foot of straight run swimming room. Even the smallest full grown tangs need this (at a minimum, 6 foot run is considerably better)
Sailfin is one of the largest tangs.
Tangs in general are not very tough. But housing them in a small area contributes to stress and death.
[emoji53]

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Sorry for your losses. That’s why we stress QT processes so much. I’m assuming you’ve left your tank empty for 6 plus weeks to kill of the pairasites, treated your present fish, and are ready to QT your new fish is that correct?
Yes! It has been about 4 weeks and that's how long I was told

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Very sorry to hear about your fish.

You can use the guide on individual fish in Liveaquaria. com for appropriate sized fish for your small tank.

Mature sailfins are 1.5' tall.

Most 75 gallon tanks have 4 foot of straight run swimming room. Even the smallest full grown tangs need this (at a minimum, 6 foot run is considerably better)
Sailfin is one of the largest tangs.
Tangs in general are not very tough. But housing them in a small area contributes to stress and death.
[emoji53]
I respect your judgement but the sailfin had been in that tank for 10+ years in and has been very happy

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10+ year!!! That guy must have been the size of a steering wheel! My big one is only about 2 years old and about 8”. They sure grow fast. I would be devistated if I lost one that old.
It’s best to leave the tank empty of livestock for at least 6 weeks.

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want suggestions for fish

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10+ year!!! That guy must have been the size of a steering wheel! My big one is only about 2 years old and about 8”. They sure grow fast. I would be devistated if I lost one that old.
I have to fix my nitrates anyway they r kinda high but I want to start getting an idea of fish I could get

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow we are all just trying to make sure the habitat is reset properly so when you reintroduce livestock they don’t die. I’ll bow out from here have a good day.

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here he is about a month before he died (if there is audio please ignore it)

AFCC1C8C-EBDA-461E-84EE-682AC5D94D50.jpeg

0BEEFC23-9243-44A4-97BE-DBAADF416355.jpeg

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow we are all just trying to make sure the habitat is reset properly so when you reintroduce livestock they don’t die. I’ll bow out from here have a good day.
I am not trying to be rude I just want some suggestions on fish ☺️

ZachR32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a flame fin tang would be a good tang for that size tank. Another good tang would be a yellow eye kohls tang. There are some smaller butterflyfish that might also work for you

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a flame fin tang would be a good tang for that size tank. Another good tang would be a yellow eye kohls tang. There are some smaller butterflyfish that might also work for you
Would the white collar butterfly be a good option? Could i do a threadfin or raccon butterfly i think they r a little big but want to get someone else's opinion

ZachR32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those three get a little bit too big for that size tank, they really appreciate more swimming room

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a type of puffer fish would work. Most have puppy dog personalities

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So almost a month ago we lost our two biggest fish to a desease caried in by a new wrasse we added to the tank who also died. Anyway now we r ready or nearly ready to replace them!! So I have a 72g bowfront with a diamond goby a flame angel a juvinile neon damsel and two clowns who r a pair.. I want to add a leapard wrasse and some other fish already had a file and sailfin so want to try something different. I am thinking about a white collar butterfly or a flame fin Tang but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions?? I want something that will interact with you kinda. Our sail fin used to follow us whenever we walked pass the tank so something that could do something similar. And it has to be safe and won't cause any harm to our current fish and something on the bigger side like a Tang or butterfly. Ik I can't do angels. I want something with as much color as possible too. I have done a lot of research and narrowed it down to a few more but those are the best options based on the reaserch that I can do?? Plz advise thank you

The Flame Fin (aka Tomini) would be a good choice. Probably the only tang I would recommend for your tank. The Leopard Wrasse is iffy given that you have established clownfish and a flame angel. They are generally not well equipped to stick up for themselves if an established assertive fish decides to take exception to a new addition. In addition, the Leopard Wrasses are notoriously poor shippers and by nature are picky pod eaters to boot. With Leopard Wrasses it literally is a case of picking the right fish, you need to see one that has been active and eating at your LFS for 2-3 weeks to have a decent shot at getting a Leopard Wrasse that will last. The butterflyfish is out as it gets too big and only a few of the butterflyfish are relatively safe with corals (ie Pyramid, Copperband, Long Nose Yellow). If you just have a FOWLR tank with no corals, then I would say a Spotband would work, but only if your Flame Angel doesn't take issue with a fish of a similar shape.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back