New lens

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally picked up a Tamron 90. Didn't have much time to play with it before my lights got too blue, but one shot turned out well.

DSC_0002-4.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice shot ! !
Thanks!

The new lens is so much easier to use than what I have been doing. Going to be able to get some really nice shots now.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of setup are you coming from? Just out of curiosity.

Fantastic picture BTW!
Thanks!

This is the set I bought years ago.
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Double-Zoom-55-200mm-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00CCGZ6PO

Been trying to make it work with different low cost macro solutions. The camera isn't the best, but @saltyfilmfolks finally convinced me that the glass is more important than the camera, and I have to agree. I would normally get 1 good picture out of every 10 to 15 under ideal conditions. This was 1 out of 5 with the new lens under less than ideal lighting. I can't wait for some time off during my normal lighting period to see what it can do!

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same lens. It really is awesome. What used to be impossible shots all of a sudden became much easier. The same issues with glass distortion apply but if you can get the angle, now you can get the picture :)

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear your getting better results with the new lense! I've been having half decent luck with a 50mm prime but am really looking forward to adding that 90mm Tamron to my arsenal.

As to your pain with wanting to upgrade bodies, I hear ya! But @saltyfilmfolks is right, I've had better luck with getting better glass and just practicing the art.

If you don't mind me asking, which version of the 90mm do you have? Apparently there are a couple floating around out there, a F004 and F017 I believe?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear your getting better results with the new lense! I've been having half decent luck with a 50mm prime but am really looking forward to adding that 90mm Tamron to my arsenal.

As to your pain with wanting to upgrade bodies, I hear ya! But @saltyfilmfolks is right, I've had better luck with getting better glass and just practicing the art.

If you don't mind me asking, which version of the 90mm do you have? Apparently there are a couple floating around out there, a F004 and F017 I believe?
I don't have the packaging in front of me, but this is from the website.
AF272NII-700

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, that was enough info for me to look it up. Thanks!
I was curious and what I have is an older model. Looks like the part numbers you listed have vibration compensation where mine does not.

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious and what I have is an older model. Looks like the part numbers you listed have vibration compensation where mine does not.

Yes I believe that is correct, but it's good to see real world results with that lens as it's the one I'm looking to get

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I believe that is correct, but it's good to see real world results with that lens as it's the one I'm looking to get
I was incredibly impressed. I normally clean the glass and pull out the tripod when I want to take a macro. In this case I unpacked the lens as quickly as I could since my lights were dropping. Popped it on the camera and snapped off around 5 freehanded shots. This shot had the flash go off so it worked. I disabled the flash on the other shots and they weren't usable.

By comparison, this is about as good as I could do on some different zoa's with my other setup.
zoa2.jpg

I consider this the best "How did it come out this good" pic with my old lenses.
DSC_0002-3.jpg

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 90mm focal length will give you so much more working room. You can always get a 1.4x teleconverter to get closer still and not cause too much distortion. I used a Vivitar 55mm macro for quite some time with a Nikon 1.4TC , but recently bought a Nikon 200mm micro. The new lens gives so much more working room. Now I just need to figure out how I can focus stack coral shots.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!!

I have been looking and wanting the Canon 100mm.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

This is the set I bought years ago.
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Double-Zoom-55-200mm-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00CCGZ6PO

Been trying to make it work with different low cost macro solutions. The camera isn't the best, but @saltyfilmfolks finally convinced me that the glass is more important than the camera, and I have to agree. I would normally get 1 good picture out of every 10 to 15 under ideal conditions. This was 1 out of 5 with the new lens under less than ideal lighting. I can't wait for some time off during my normal lighting period to see what it can do!
Nice guess I need to buy a camera :rolleyes:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back