New Leopard Toby!

SaltySteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally pulled the trigger on a Leopard Toby- Canthigaster leoparda from Live Aquaria's Divers Den.
There is barely any information on these guys- so I decided to start a thread on my experience.

I got him in the mail yesterday and used drip acclimation- also have been keeping my Kessil on 5-10% to help him feel more comfortable. (I've read that these are a somewhat deep-water species that hang around steep drop-offs, and am a little concerned about light intensity for the future).

I already witnessed him eating thawed brine shrimp (thank god), he spends most of his time staying close to the live rock and seems to be scoping out anything that looks like food (also witnessed him nip at a small feather duster). Time will tell how "reef safe" he is, but I'm willing to take a hit on some reef inhabitants given how interesting/inquisitive he is!

I've ordered some macro algae (red Gracilia and another red macro) to see if he may pick at those as well. So far so good, no aggression shown to tank mates, and tank mates show no aggression to him/her. Does anybody have experience with these? Any tips or suggestions for feeding/care are appreciated.

Thanks for looking!
20170628_095150.jpg
20170627_175006.jpg
20170627_175016.jpg

OP
OP
SaltySteve

SaltySteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I have no idea how reef-safe they are, I will update on how it goes in my case. The leopards have been touted as "likely more reef-safe", maybe due to their smaller size and small mouth not being able to do as much damage/ not go after bigger inverts.

He is with a skunk cleaner shrimp, few small hermits, turbo snails, brittle star, SPS, and mixed LPS corals. Also 2 Ocellaris, a Saphire Damsel, a Yellow Watchman Goby, and a Starry Blenny. The tank is a 60 gallon cube with a 10 gallon sump.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cutie!

OP
OP
SaltySteve

SaltySteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update on the leopard toby- he really took to brine shrimp mixed with a "seafood gumbo" coral food (has scallop and various other invert eggs in it). He is very forward all of the sudden and even likes to nip at the food coming from the pipet I use to feed. Still hasn't bothered any coral or inverts, and now he is always out in front of the tank seemingly begging to be fed :). I can't get over his facial "expressions" and personality, awesome fish! Sorry for the quality of the pictures- I plan on upgrading my phone soon.

I was very close to getting a Valentini myself, they are great.
20170629_205037.jpg
20170629_204959.jpg

OP
OP
SaltySteve

SaltySteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! He is now officially comfortable in the tank and eating like a pig lol. It's Hikari Coral Gumbo, I put one cube of that plus three cubes of brine shrimp and a sliver of garlic in a tub, thaw, mix, then re-freezed it.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is he doing?
Do you gave any Feather dusters, hermit crabs, emerald crabs, or urchins with him? Any problems with nipping at any corals?

OP
OP
SaltySteve

SaltySteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, he is very cute indeed. I haven't tried feeding him nori- I should try though. I've noticed him picking bits of algae off of live rock. Gumbo is a good name lol, he is currently nameless and that's a great contender!
20170801_125941.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltySteve

SaltySteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is settling in great and went from eating only frozen mysis to eating just about anything I offer him (loves New Life Spectrum Marine pellets). Only thing is he came with parasites, I just dosed Prazipro and witnessed him expel an intestinal worm- I have another thread regarding that on here. (Empress, you have warned me and I am now kicking myself in the butt!)

He hasn't touched or shown any interest in my corals, fish, snails, or hermits. I don't have any urchins in the tank but do have a very small bubble anemone that he ignores, he definitely does pick at smaller feather dusters but I don't have any large ones in the tank. He spends a lot of the day in a vertical position scoping out and picking at the live rock- I'm still not entirely sure what he's hunting for.

Last edited:

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is settling in great and went from eating only frozen mysis to eating just about anything I offer him (loves New Life Spectrum Marine pellets). Only thing is he came with parasites, I just dosed Prazipro and witnessed him expel an intestinal worm- I have another thread regarding that on here. (Empress, you have warned me and I am now kicking myself in the butt!)

He hasn't touched or shown any interest in my corals, fish, snails, or hermits. I don't have any urchins in the tank but do have a very small bubble anemone that he ignores, he definitely does pick at smaller feather dusters but I don't have any large ones in the tank. He spends a lot of the day in a vertical position scoping out and picking at the live rock- I'm still not entirely sure what he's hunting for.

I'll tell you what....you get Gumbo out of that tank and into quarantine and treat accordingly, then I won't kick your butt!! He's too cute to lose. Switch on over to the fish disease section if you haven't already done so. He's probably hunting for live food. Good luck.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 62 75.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back