New & looking to learn

AnnieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I am new here. I am trying to get started with a fresh water tank but only looking to do real plants. I will be getting a 20 or 25 gallon tank. Any help would be appreciated. I am going to have a beta & shrimp I do know that. Need help with also tank mate ideas. Any help anyone could give for filters, equipment & other fish would be greatly appreciated. I have had fish tank before but just with the basic sets where it came with everything. New to building my tank.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I am new here. I am trying to get started with a fresh water tank but only looking to do real plants. I will be getting a 20 or 25 gallon tank. Any help would be appreciated. I am going to have a beta & shrimp I do know that. Need help with also tank mate ideas. Any help anyone could give for filters, equipment & other fish would be greatly appreciated. I have had fish tank before but just with the basic sets where it came with everything. New to building my tank.

Hi Annie! Welcome to R2R! Most everyone here posts about saltwater tanks, but lots of us also run fresh tanks. I'd research what plants you like the look of and check lighting and fertilizer requirements. I started with java fern, anubias, and amazon swords. I also use Flourite as my "below the sand" base. I pick sand over gravel for my substrate because I like how it looks and I keep corydoras.

My first betta killed every single shrimp it came across, but my second lived with an Amano shrimp peacefully for three years. I would never recommend a betta with any other tank mates. Is it possible? Sure. Is it also possible that your betta will kill everything? Also yes. If you're trying to do a community tank, I'd add the betta last and have a plan for a backup tank for it to live in if it doesn't work out.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! If you hang with us for long you may find yourself coming over to the dark side and getting a little reef tank! Be warned! Just kidding, you will definitely find the help you need here. Best of luck and make sure you do a build thread. I've always had cichlids so I will be interested in your planted tank and the advice you get.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back